Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    7/12/2011 5:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry Mark. I wasn't trying to refute any of your points or put you down. Apologies if it came across that way.

Just pointing out the error for websearch puposes. I've been writing it as 'Lowery' too.

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    7/12/2011 7:29am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Is the USJA database publicly accessible? Is there a link? If not can we get a screenshot posted and or scan of relevant documents?
    No, it is a private database. But so I am clear, you are saying he does NOT make this claim? You are saying its not on his website? Are you saying there is no evidence of this claim?
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    7/12/2011 7:30am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post
    Sorry Mark. I wasn't trying to refute any of your points or put you down. Apologies if it came across that way.

Just pointing out the error for websearch puposes. I've been writing it as 'Lowery' too.
    It was kind of a joke... He is all over You Tube so there is lots to view.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Posted On:
    7/12/2011 7:44am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    No, it is a private database. But so I am clear, you are saying he does NOT make this claim? You are saying its not on his website? Are you saying there is no evidence of this claim?
    I can find a Judo 7th dan claim, but no claim that its a Judo 7th dan from the USJA nor a Judo 8th dan claim.

I've already linked to the page where there's a Judo 7th dan claim on the last page in my reply to you.

To be honest though if its in the database, then well, what exactly can you do? Unless there's been a root and branch change and all the people involved in his promotion have been removed, then you're not going to get very far with getting him demoted or the promotion rescinded.

They'll just ignore you no matter how many times you ask for the paperwork. And he'll be able to say, 'well its on the database, I have the certificate- its legit' and you wont be able to get any further.

Having been on the mat with Kodokan and BJA 8th dans, what he shows on the videos is not what I associate with the skill set of an 8th dan. However, if he's got the paper from the right people, you're probably on a hiding to nothing.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    7/12/2011 7:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's kind of confusing:
    http://www.windsongdojo.com/school/school_inst_2.html

In the text beside the picture he's named as a 8th Dan in Judo and Aikido and a 7th Dan in Jyodo, but in the skillmatrix he's a 8th Dan in Aikido, a 7th Dan in Judo and a 6th Dan in Jyodo.

Is his 7th Dan in Judo also suspecious (probably so, if it's only 11 years between 1st Dan and 7th Dan in Judo)?
    Maybe you should go for the claims of 7th Dan instead of 8th Dan, because there's a good possibility that he will counterclaim with the famous "bad communication with the webdesigner" defense if you go after the 8th Dangrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    7/12/2011 10:48am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    <double post>
    Last edited by Larus marinus; 7/12/2011 10:52am at .

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    7/12/2011 10:49am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mr. Lowry emailed me this afternoon. He says that he's been having problems logging into the site and he asked me if I could relay this for him, which I have cut+pasted directly from the email.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lowry in his email to me
    Hi Y'all --
    Nick Lowry here. To be Perfectly clear-- I personally do not consider myself an 8th dan -- though there are indeed some organizations that have ranked me as such -- the USJA judo rank in question here is attributable to the actions and recommendations of my former Sensei (who had his own reasons for pushing it through) and whomever he negotiated it with in the USJA administration--

I never sought it, never asked for it, nor ever paid a nickel for it -- it was simply bestowed upon me as a done deal.

Through out my time studying judo-- from 1982 to now- - i have had only a few peripheral ties to USJA --it has never seemed like an attractive outfit to me -- and my support for it over the years has been minimal and always at the behest of my teachers.

My own focus is on the the technical judo of the 1950's pre weight class era, particularly lines of development from Osawa and Kotani, and I am not really interested in modern sport judo and personally don't care much about rank or ranking, period.

I am far more interested in the values of competency and education in martial arts. Where rank upholds and furthers such values i think it has some meaning and usefulness, but too often i find rank being substituted for these values by the ranking organizations.
    In my own small organization, rank is not a commercial product and is treated as a matter between a student and their teacher -- not a student and their ranking organization.

To my Fault, I acknowledge that had i been willing to sever ties to my Sensei at the time, i could have rejected the 8th dan promotion from him up front (though how one gets the USJA to "unrank " me is a interesting question -- someone more familiar with that organization can perhaps speak to it-- if they choose to pursue such a course, they will get no fight from me). At the time, the promotion, though it seemed ludicrous, hardly seemed worth flushing 25 odd years of student /teacher relationship over. My departure from him arose over other more serious issues two years later.

Today , when folks ask me about my rank i usually just say simply that i am a black belt who has been studying judo for 29 years-- only if they ask for specific detail --as was the case with Mr. Tripp -- do i go into the curious case of my high USJA ranking.

Since i am having technical difficulty getting logged into the Bulshido forum to respond , please feel free to contact me at nick@windsongdojo.com if i can help clarify this matter any further.

Always happy to answer questions.

Also if you wish to check out examples of my educational work comprising some 730 or so free aikido and judo videos, they are organized for your convenience here: http://www.kazeutabudokai.com/phpBB3/

sincerely, Nick Lowry

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    7/12/2011 11:03am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if people are going to investigate him they're going to need to be able to reference the place where he is claiming USJA 8th dan in Judo. Otherwise he will be able to wriggle out of it or claim it was an 8th dan from his own org or some other nonsense org.
    This is taken from the Facebook group discussion in which Lowry's USJA rank was mentioned. It is from 7/11/2011.

There can be no "web designer" defense; he clearly makes the USJA Hachidan claim himself.
    Last edited by Matt Phillips; 7/12/2011 11:39am at .
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Posted On:
    7/12/2011 11:11am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Matt, your link is broken.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    7/12/2011 11:16am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Matt, your link is broken.
    Try it now...
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast