Sponsored Links Spacer Image

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    7/16/2011 2:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Reminding you that you should not be overly focused on rank is not the same thing as no longer caring that its integrity is maintained. You don't have to go to University to be a scholar, true, but that's not a blank check for people to print PhD's
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/16/2011 3:24pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a derail, but it is to silly to not address.

You Lowrey supporters need to quit talking out your ass about rank and how it doesn't matter or quit focusing on it. If it really didn't matter, everyone would adopt beginner/intermediate/advanced designations that work for No-gi Bjj, swimming, football, boxing, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, MMA etc.

Yes, that means your instructor could have done the same thing. Rank matters your focus during training does not.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    7/16/2011 3:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy View Post
    Judo. It's through our organization/dojo ranking/whatever. I haven't had USJA rank since ikkyu, some time ago. Last I competed in the US, basically.
    Thank you.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    7/16/2011 6:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nick lowry View Post
    membership in usja was never required at Caldwell's dojo-- the only folks that joined usja did so in order to play in tournments -- folks not interested in shiai saw no point in joining except for the few occasions when word would come down that sensei could really use our support by getting alot of us to join up as life members -- i didnt really question that at the time , just sort of said "sure, what the hell -- if it will help him out, why not?" and paid the piper. -- the shodan deal was similar as i recall-- i was one of a batch of folks at the time and the general gist was that somehow our getting usja ranking would help those above us--
    At one point in time, there were incentives to "sensei" to get people to join USJA. I hesitate to mention this, because I do not recall particulars of it. Mark Tripp or Mark Hunter would be more familiar with the marketing/promotion (not rank) practices that the JA implemented under Porter and his cronies. BTW, I'm not implying that Tripp or Hunter bought into those schemes, supported them, or benefitted from them.

So, what you are saying makes sense in the context of what I know about the USJA and its practices at that time frame.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    7/16/2011 6:54pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nick lowry View Post
    yes -- Mr. Tripp was quite enthusiastic and rude as i recall. He seemed intent on accusing me of being dishonorable , since the very existence of my ranking violated all his ideas of how he thinks the usja is supposed to operate-- I suggested that he address his enthusiasm to those parties who he felt had misused the usja by promoting me-- in that conversation, i explained on face book pretty much as i have done here (though in less detail) and like a broken record it just keep going an going...
    OCD combined with hidden agenda, I suspect, Nick.

Posted On:
    7/16/2011 7:09pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Phillips View Post
    Reminding you that you should not be overly focused on rank is not the same thing as no longer caring that its integrity is maintained. You don't have to go to University to be a scholar, true, but that's not a blank check for people to print PhD's
    The guy you whom you were either trying to impress or being a sock puppet, wittingly or otherwise, has gone away.

So just stop or go to USJA with this problem.

BTW, the current President of JA has his signature on Lowery's hachidan certificate.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/16/2011 7:27pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post
    then why not a public mass name and shame and demands for answers from every single last one of them?
    Yes, this very question has already been asked in both threads. As someone said very early in this thread that is why it looks like sour grapes.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    7/16/2011 7:52pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Yes, this very question has already been asked in both threads. As someone said very early in this thread that is why it looks like sour grapes.
    The most unfortunate part of this, from my perspective, is that it seems Mr. Lowry has become a focal point of attack probably because he is one of the few that are willing to be honest about their involvement with USJA. The Elephant in the room is that there are potentially hundreds of people in a very similar situation to Mr. Lowry (though to greater and lesser degrees of dramatic increase) who, right or wrong, also feel that they may not necessarily deserve or otherwise should not possess the rank that they have been issued, but who are unwilling to come forth; they might feel like they are painting a target on their heads, and who wants to do that?

By virtue of this, I could completely understand why the rare genuine person who is willing to put their reputation at stake for the sake of their own principles is the target, because let's face it. They are an easy target.

So, while I can certainly appreciate the perspective that it appears as sour grapes, I would suggest that it's simply the path of least resistance, and this is the most unfortunate part.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/16/2011 8:01pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The elephant is in another thread that was culled from this one. That is why it appear we are goose stepping around the elephant. Everyone doesn't want another cull.

Nope we will disagree 100%. Path of least resistance ha ha ha no.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    7/16/2011 8:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I fr one don't know the name of any other person in this category. If I knew who they were I would be asking them all the same questions.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!