Administrator

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 11:44pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nick lowry View Post
    and as to displaying it here on the thread-- since questions had begun to be asked about signatures and such, i thought it would help...
    I know why you did and I knew it would be helpful because, here at bullshido, we love actual proof. I also know we love our rhetoric, semantics and pedantry so it was going to cause some trouble IMO.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 11:44pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: aikido judo jodo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    No, that is my opinion on why this suddenly went down the rabbit hole. Don't attribute my supposition to anyone else on the thread. I saw it and I thought "oh boy here we go" and sure enough here we are.

I will also add that a frame implies you DID have it displayed at some point.
    yes on the north wall in my private upstairs office from 2006-2008--its where all the junk in the dojo seems to aggregate over time

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    7/16/2011 5:42am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sadly I lack the time to address every flaw in logic here, but quickly before my meds…

1. Ask the same board that has self-promoted itself and violated its own rules for years, to now investigate themselves? That’s like asking the Fox Detective Agency to investigate the theft of chickens from the Chicken Coop.

2. Again, the issue is not if Mr. Lowry has the document of rank from USJA. The question is, “Is this a valid document by USJA’s published standards?” By his own words here, it cannot be.

3. This is not an attack on Mr. Lowry, however, if you wish to push it. Were someone to tell me that they were not only a General in the Army but they were also an Admiral in the Navy, I would ignore that person as “Commander McBrag,” the same logic applies to people who claim to have multiple high ranks in numerous systems. There is simply not enough hours in a day to legitimately develop the skills those high ranks require. However, if all that is needed is to have a friend hand you a paper, I guess you can gather up a great many. However it doesn’t mean you actually have the skills those papers claim.

At the end of the day, that is really the point here. There is a very large market for fake luxury items. Rolex Watches come to mind. People buy fake Rolex watches to impress their friends because they simply lack the means and ability to own a real one. However they know it’s a fake, and people in the know can tell at a glance they are looking at a poser.

When my wife left, I wanted a “status watch.” Yes, I guess I could have bought a fake Rolex and been like so many. However, to me, I would always know that it was a fake, and that would not do. So I went to Jarred, spent some time looking with an Esquire mag for reference, and I bought a Tag Heuer Aquaracer from a licensed dealer. I get comments every time I wear it. I know what I paid for it; it says what I want it to say, and I KNOW its real. So do other professionals who see it and women do to, but that’s another story. Fake Rolex or real Tag? I guess it depends on who YOU are.

While the “issues” of this thread are elsewhere, the “heart” of it lies there….
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    7/16/2011 6:38am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, one more thing…

To continue to assert that the USJA is filled with members who have never signed a single paper is to be either a donkey or the perfect imitation of one.

Not having a signed release form that holds them harmless should you be injured? Not having a signed form that makes you rather than them responsible for your negligence? Not having a Background Check on every “Coach” (Black Belt,) “wearing their colors?”

That would require a level of incompetence beyond reasonable comprehension. Any attorney involved in a case against USJA or a USJA Coach would seek this information out and the results would be grim. If you think there was a problem with insurance years ago, this is far worse. Clearly everyone has forgotten the lessons from Windsor, Ontario.

As for me, with the clear evidence that as far as the USJA is concerned “some are more equal than others,” and the clear evidence of negligence, rank inflation and clear lack of due diligence on numerous serious matters, I am done with them. I do not support them in any way and any relationship between USJA and myself in any matter is at an end. I will no longer claim ANY USJA rank or award on my resume or Judo discussions.

I can think of several two word combinations that fit not only them but also several of you. I will restrain myself and simply say “good luck.”
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    7/16/2011 8:23am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was thinking "Miller time" but that's just me.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    7/16/2011 11:58am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy View Post
    For what it's worth, I work out with Mr. Lowry in judo and have for a bit over a year now... I was promoted to shodan in the All Japan Judo Federation through competition and all that, and Mr. Lowry made me nidan.
    In which art did Mr. Lowry rank your nidan and was this registered with a Federation or strictly a dojo ranking?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2011 12:51pm

Style: JUDO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I say ''DROP IT' and go on with life. He isnt the only one with a High Dan without TIG. It is a LOST CAUSE! Judo is no longer Judo :( Time to hang up my Jacket.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    7/16/2011 1:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by markjudo View Post
    I say ''DROP IT' and go on with life. He isnt the only one with a High Dan without TIG. It is a LOST CAUSE! Judo is no longer Judo :( Time to hang up my Jacket.
    I have yet to see this sort of porblem infecting JF or JI. If there is a lost cause here it isn't "Judo" it's JA. I am aware of how many years you have given to helping JA grow, and how depressing this situation probably is for you, but it's a problem with a group A org, not with the IJF or the sport as a whole.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/16/2011 1:59pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: aikido judo jodo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    an interesting article ....
    http://betterjudo.com/promotions-run-amok/

Posted On:
    7/16/2011 2:37pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    In which art did Mr. Lowry rank your nidan and was this registered with a Federation or strictly a dojo ranking?
    Judo. It's through our organization/dojo ranking/whatever. I haven't had USJA rank since ikkyu, some time ago. Last I competed in the US, basically.

---

Hey, markjudo, and Mr. Tripp. You know your rank doesn't actually affect your ability to do judo, yeah? Or anyone else's rank? You can still get on a mat and learn and throw and be thrown and all that good stuff. Maybe you're just being a bit dramatic.

It's a sentiment that's been expressed by a lot of people I've looked up to. My original teacher years ago, my main coach/instructor in Japan, Mr. Lowry, Ryron Gracie, Mike Swain. All these people have told me rank isn't what I should be focusing on and it should not get in the way of learning.

So don't say judo is a lost cause because of some organizational BS. That'd be sad and unfortunate, especially after all the work you've put in.