223809 Bullies, 3629 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 101 to 110 of 225
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011 1213141521 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Matt Phillips is online now
    Matt Phillips's Avatar

    NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bahstun
    Posts
    9,650

    Posted On:
    7/14/2011 6:09pm

    supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Lets not beat about the bush Ben and fully clarify for non-Judoka.

    If your rank is not issued by an NGB affiliated to the IJF either individually or through a continental association then it is not accepted by mainstream Judo.

    His Fugakukai grade, therefore, would not be recognised as legitimate by mainstream Judo unless that grade is also held in an IJF affiliated org. However, Mr. Lowry has a USJA 8th dan, the USJA is affiliated to a continetal org and thus the IJF so he has no such problem with hs USJA grade as its recognised by the IJF through affiliation schemes.
    I'm not sure this is correct. My understanding is that USJA (and USJF) are "class A" organizations existing under the NGB (USJI). The Pan American Judo Union is not really a factor here, beyond the fact that PAJU recognizes the USJI as the NGB. JA and JF are nonentities from the perspective of the continental union.
    Last edited by Matt Phillips; 7/14/2011 6:14pm at .
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie


    KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

    In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!
  2. Larus marinus is offline
    Larus marinus's Avatar

    Banzai Buddy

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NW England
    Posts
    3,066

    Posted On:
    7/14/2011 6:14pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Not much I can say, but thanks for your attitude. It is quite refreshing to see someone under scrutiny not flip out and act like an ass. Thanks for all of the answers.
    Indeed. Not a single demand for all the basement-dwelling trolls on this thread to come down to his dojo and say this **** to his face, yo (or come fight his sensei) Yet... :)

    FWIW, I can confirm that I was unable to locate the page referenced (i.e. the one with the 7/8 dan on there) from normal browsing of Mr. Lowry's site when I was on there a couple of days back. I distinctly recall thinking 'where the heck did he get that from, then?' when the link was originally posted on this thread by Juoka_uk on page 2.
  3. nick lowry is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    45

    Posted On:
    7/14/2011 6:16pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: aikido judo jodo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    First, this is my third attempt to reply. If this one deletes so be it.

    If you are expecting me to take up some of the fatuous assertions of the witless few, you are to be disappointed. I brought this here because, at one time, this is where the good fight was conducted. It seems there must be other pressing matters, so I will say this and leave to peruse other interests.

    Phil Porter was forced out of USJA for selling Judo ranks to people unskilled and unqualified to hold them. Understand, by USJA’s own published standards they did NOT qualify. This is a crucial point as it was UJSI’s contention that if they did not follow published standards then they had no idea what the real skills of these people were. I will not bore you with a lecture on the intricacies of sports law, but if you look up concepts such as “mismatch” and “negligent coaching,” to name a few, you will see the concern. If a “Black Belt” is not really a Black Belt, then what is he? If we all know he is not a “Black Belt” but remain silent, are we not equally liable?

    Faced with this, Phil Porter was removed, and new tests and testing procedures were put into place. There was to be NO doubt that things were going to be different. A new test was created, and you can download and read it here:

    www.usja-judo.org/forms/Docs/srpromo.pdf

    Please take the time to reflect on this test. Ask yourself if this really were required of those testing for rank, what would the level of our Judo be? My 6th Dan test was this exact test. I took this test at the Spirit of the Eagle camp, in front of many people, any my test papers were signed by a great many people. The point here is, old, fat, crippled, and ill, I asked for no quarter and none was given. I took the test, I passed and I earned the rank. Earned is the operative word.

    Now, we see that USJA has returned to the Phil Porter method of fund raising. Simply sell high ranks to anyone who wants them. This clearly was the reason that both Jimmy Pedro Sr. and Anna Marie resigned as president, the selling of rank to those unqualified to hold them. Perhaps they could interest Phil Porter in coming back? However, let me be clear, ANYONE in USJA who approved of this, is guilty of the same crime as Phil, and should resign, or be forced to, this day.

    The situation for USJA is grave. USA Judo is within their rights to declare “invalid” ALL USJA ranks due to this, and to revoke USJA’S Class A status. In fact, were I on the board of USA Judo, and the evidence in this thread brought to me, I would insist upon it.
    Which brings us to Mr. Lowry. I do not know him, and there is nothing personal in this. However, I have looked at his record at USJA. A shodan in 1992. Nothing before this date, and nothing again until 2006 when he becomes Hachidan (8th Dan) in Judo. Pfui!

    He may well be a “nice guy” but he knows he does not have the skills for that rank. The continued “I did not wish to offend my teacher” is flummery. The rank offends serious and legitimate Judoka, so quit making the claim.

    But as he is here, I have but two questions for him…

    1. Mr. Lowry, just what have you done in Judo that makes you believe you should now outrank Yamashita, Mike Swain, Pat Burris, Ron Tripp, and a host of others I could name?

    2. I understand you have a certificate from USJA that says you are an 8th Dan. Might I ask where your test papers are? EVERY high level Judo grade MUST have those papers. That was put in place by USJA to prevent another Porter problem from ever happening again.

    I suspect everyone currently at USJA forgot about that fail-safe. Lacking that test paper, all you can say is that you purchased a paper, you neither tested nor earned a rank. Also, you do NOT qualify for the 8th Dan as you fail the time in grade requirements as well. I can go on, but I am sure you get the point.

    Once again, USJA has been proven to be in the business of selling rank, not building Judo. I simply hope that USA Judo acts swiftly and severely to end this once and for all.

    Finally, to those of you who seem to have no problem with this. If Mr. Lowry were claiming to be a black belt in BJJ, would you still feel that way? How about a Navy Seal, or Green Beret? I can get papers that say all sorts of things, would you give me the same “pass” you seem to be willing to give here? I suspect, if you had spent a week in 90-degree weather one summer EARNING the rank so many flippantly claim as their own, you would feel the way I do.

    I leave the rest to all of you. I have done what I set out to do, and shall return, once more to the shadows…..
    Mr. Tripp

    1. i do not hold any such belief and i never have
    2. as far as i know such papers do not exist-- no test was proffered to me in 2006

    i understand how unfair this matter is from a "by the books usja " point of view
    and how angry it makes you personally -- i have never in my experience known the usja to go "by the books" so i have never considered that point of view in my thinking.

    You say above that my reasoning regarding not turning down this rank is "flummery" -- you are welcome to your opinion -- i have been as forthright with you and rest of these interested folks as it is in my power to be --

    as i have stated before

    did not ask for it
    i did not pay for it

    if you are offended by it
    i suggest you take this up with someone who gives a sh*t about the usja -- i for one do not
  4. nick lowry is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    45

    Posted On:
    7/14/2011 6:18pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: aikido judo jodo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Not much I can say, but thanks for your attitude. It is quite refreshing to see someone under scrutiny not flip out and act like an ass. Thanks for all of the answers.

    you are welcome...
  5. nick lowry is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    45

    Posted On:
    7/14/2011 6:21pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: aikido judo jodo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post
    Indeed. Not a single demand for all the basement-dwelling trolls on this thread to come down to his dojo and say this **** to his face, yo (or come fight his sensei) Yet... :)

    FWIW, I can confirm that I was unable to locate the page referenced (i.e. the one with the 7/8 dan on there) from normal browsing of Mr. Lowry's site when I was on there a couple of days back. I distinctly recall thinking 'where the heck did he get that from, then?' when the link was originally posted on this thread by Juoka_uk on page 2.
    surprised the hell outa me too -- not the first time my web page has been outa whack -- probably wont be the last
  6. atomicpoet is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    876

    Posted On:
    7/14/2011 6:32pm


     Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    Now, we see that USJA has returned to the Phil Porter method of fund raising. Simply sell high ranks to anyone who wants them. This clearly was the reason that both Jimmy Pedro Sr. and Anna Marie resigned as president, the selling of rank to those unqualified to hold them. Perhaps they could interest Phil Porter in coming back? However, let me be clear, ANYONE in USJA who approved of this, is guilty of the same crime as Phil, and should resign, or be forced to, this day.
    We have no evidence that Nick Lowry bought his rank.
  7. nick lowry is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    45

    Posted On:
    7/14/2011 6:44pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: aikido judo jodo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    We have no evidence that Nick Lowry bought his rank.
    -

    i remember there was money involved in my lifemembership /shodan deal back in the early 90's but i dont remember how much-- it all went through my teacher back then -- in 2006 i was not asked to pay a dime-- it was presented as a gift basically
  8. Larus marinus is offline
    Larus marinus's Avatar

    Banzai Buddy

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NW England
    Posts
    3,066

    Posted On:
    7/14/2011 7:17pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nick lowry View Post
    -

    i remember there was money involved in my lifemembership /shodan deal back in the early 90's but i dont remember how much-- it all went through my teacher back then -- in 2006 i was not asked to pay a dime-- it was presented as a gift basically
    Whose name(s) appears on the 8th dan certificate, by the way (aside from your own, I mean...)? I presume that it has at least one person's signature on it, correct?

    Now, for all I know, whoever signs these things could merely be working their way through a stack of certs 1" thick and squiggling on them one after the other as a routine part of their job (maybe one of the Judo guys will able to clarify), with the question of whether the certificate in question was duly earned already resolved as far as they are concerned by the fact that it was there in front of them to be signed in the first place.

    On the other hand, it may be very relevant indeed....
  9. nick lowry is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    45

    Posted On:
    7/14/2011 7:42pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: aikido judo jodo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post
    Whose name(s) appears on the 8th dan certificate, by the way (aside from your own, I mean...)? I presume that it has at least one person's signature on it, correct?

    Now, for all I know, whoever signs these things could merely be working their way through a stack of certs 1" thick and squiggling on them one after the other as a routine part of their job (maybe one of the Judo guys will able to clarify), with the question of whether the certificate in question was duly earned already resolved as far as they are concerned by the fact that it was there in front of them to be signed in the first place.

    On the other hand, it may be very relevant indeed....
    lookin at it now... first line James R. Webb -- president/second line ?hard to read? looks like Gary S. Gotlz? maybe -- executive director/ third line Virgil Bowles -- chairman of the board
  10. nick lowry is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    45

    Posted On:
    7/14/2011 7:47pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: aikido judo jodo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hmm ...i was trying to upload a pic of it for ya but its not working
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011 1213141521 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.