Posted On:
    8/10/2010 8:08pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Fake black belt?

http://www.martinezmmarevolution.com.../About_Me.html

Black belt after 10 months under renzo?....... doesnt seem legit..

Posted On:
    8/10/2010 9:02pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, you could do a lot more research, he says he trained in jiujitsu since he was 12, then he met Renzo when he was 18, 10 months later Renzo gave him his black belt. So that is 6 years and 10 months, approx. I am not saying it isn't suspect, but it isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Do more than what you have done. Do it now before you get smashed by the mods.

I'd suggest doing a lot more research before putting anything in here. Also read the stickies, noob.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    8/10/2010 9:19pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well he did post his resume online. Should be easy enough to check out if you so desire.

http://www.martinezmmarevolution.com/Martinez_MMA/About_Me_files/David%27s_Resume%5B1%5D.pdf

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2010 9:27pm

Style: BJJ ultra-noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First thing, if you are setting up the MABS hounds to look into a guy, post more than just a link. Perhaps a description on the claims in question, links, etc, and why you believe them to be fishy. Context and background is important, especially if it is a vendetta posting (like we haven't seen any of those before).

Lurk more, post less.

check out the link to a pdf of this guy's resume from the above page.

MAJOR ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
    I have fought in many of the biggest MMA shows in the United States and around
    the world.
    PrideFC………………………………………………………………………...Veteran ‘99
    IVC……………………………………………………………………………..Veteran ‘98
    Rings………………………………………………………...Heavy Weight Champion ‘00
    Shooto…………………………………………………………….Light Heavy Weight ‘00
    King of Pankration……………...Heavy Weight and Light Heavy Weight King ’00 & ‘01
    M: 1 Global…………………………………………………………………….Veteran ‘02
    Russia vs. the World………………………….Veteran (I fought on the Russian team) ‘02
    WEC………………………Light Heavy Weight and Heavy Weight Champion ’03 & ‘04
    Grappler Quest………………………………...10 time 224.9 lbs Pro Champion ’99 – ‘06
    NAGA…………………………………………12 time 224.9 lbs Pro Champion ’01 – ‘07

My Pro Muay Thai Kickboxing record is 9 – 0, all these fights were in Bangkok,
    Thai Land (‘01 – ’02) and I won all these fights by way of Knock out. My Amateur
    MMA record is 56 – 0. My Pro MMA record is 98 – 2. And my Pro Boxing (’04) record
    was, 3-0, all by knock out. I also was a two time State Champion High School Wrestler in
    ’96 and ‘97.
    Sherdog has 3 David Martinez's, one with 2-3-0, another with 0-1-0, and a second with 0-1-0... so no one with spectacular 98-2 records. That seems fishy to me (also the total 156 pro & ammy fights seems, well, suspect.)

I know it may be a bit out of context when in his resume he talks about getting a black belt in sambo, but I giggled a little at this line

I also taught the Russians American wrestling, boxing, and Muay Thai Kickboxing.
    Now, going back to Battlefield's comment about it not being unreasonable to have over 6 years training to get a BB in BJJ, not if we look at the resume,then we could in infer that he started BJJ from a BJJ school in NJ when he was 12 (which also would be 1991-1992), if he got his black belt in '98 while being possible 18/19 years old (invited when 18, and may be 19 at the time of the BB awarding).

Though somethings fishy, there is no Gokor Chevniya in google, it's Chivichyan.... you would think you would spell the name right on your resume, and the fact that the Hayastan academy is in North Hollywood (opened in '91?), and the resume claims his BB earned in St. Petersburg, in 2001.

This seems fake to me, almost troll fake. Got any more details?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2010 9:31pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Email sent to Renzo to verify black belt. He's not listed in the WEC that everyone thinks about, but could be a smaller show that calls itself the WEC. Can't find his name under any Pride FC fights during that time either.

Have to agree with Dingo, it almost seems too fake.
    Last edited by GirlJock; 8/10/2010 9:36pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2010 9:48pm

Style: BJJ ultra-noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also considering Coban moved to New York in 2000 to coach, at this same time this guy claims to have gone to Thailand to teach Coban's fighters MMA.... Edit: Correction retired in September 2000, not sure when moved to New York...

Now there could be some overlap, but considering his resume includes a sambo reference to Gokor, a MT reference for Coban and a BJJ to renzo... way too special.

I'm still wondering about the troll angle, the address accordingly is the The Physi Plex Inc, and there was a post in 2009 on kudzu commenting about about a new MMA program in 2009, which doesn't quite jive with the resume which perhaps hasn't been updated recently or as completely as it should've been (it's still referencing his employment as Hammer Kickboxing after 2008).
    Last edited by TheDingo; 8/10/2010 10:14pm at . Reason: Correcting first paragraph. fixing typo (now -> not)

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/11/2010 12:41am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Um this has too much bullshit written all over it.
    1. He was 18 in 1998? Why would Renzo bring him to Brazil again?
    2. Those Japanese Promotions don't use those weight classifications.
    3. I fought and coached in the WEC in those years, never heard of the guy.

Now I have no idea if this guy has any skill but my bullshit detector just blew up.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/11/2010 9:48am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I have several direct sources with the ISSA and apparently this guy isn't in their data base nor does his statement align with the certification process of the ISSA. I say we open up an investigation on this guy.

Posted On:
    8/11/2010 10:40am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Martinez MMA and Fitness

Hey guys. I am new here, but I am not unaware of what you guys are capable of accomplishing. So, when I came across a thread on the UG today, I knew right where to start.

I would like you guys to check out this guy David Martinez. Here is his website ... http://www.martinezmmarevolution.com

This guy is touting a very lengthy resume as well as a 98-2 professional record. He also claims to have been heavyweight champion in WEC.

Problem is, no one has ever heard of this guy.

So, now I leave this in your hands to see if this guy is legitimate or not.

Thank you.

Sick double leg.

Posted On:
    8/11/2010 10:43am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fuhqfour20 View Post
    Hey guys. I am new here, but I am not unaware of what you guys are capable of accomplishing. So, when I came across a thread on the UG today, I knew right where to start.

I would like you guys to check out this guy David Martinez. Here is his website ... http://www.martinezmmarevolution.com

This guy is touting a very lengthy resume as well as a 98-2 professional record. He also claims to have been heavyweight champion in WEC.

Problem is, no one has ever heard of this guy.

So, now I leave this in your hands to see if this guy is legitimate or not.

Thank you.
    Generally, you are expected to also take part in the investigation, being as how you are the one who launched it.

Also, stop by Newbietown to introduce yourself.

Does anyone know how youth BJJ training works? A lot of his BJJ training seems to have occurred while he was too young to be competing with adults.
    Last edited by Kickapoo; 8/11/2010 10:53am at .
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast