Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2011 1:16am

Style: ex-BJJ, ex-TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    in the first vid, is it just me, or did he just spiked his opponent on his head?

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    7/12/2011 2:10am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dan. Miragliotta.

....'Cause when Anderson Silva has to come to your help,
    chances are you're really fucked.

Posted On:
    7/12/2011 2:18am

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    MMA fighter 101: Do not let go until the ref stops the fight. Fighters have been know to "phantom tap" they tap you when the ref doesn't see and you let go he keeps fighting and you can protest all you want if the ref didn't see it it didn't happen. This has also happened at grappling events.
    This is such a shame though. I remember When Shamrock tapped to gracie in UFC (1?) and the Ref didn't see it. When the ref called to continue, Shamrock 'fessed up and sent Gracie through to the next round.

It's stuck in my mind ever since, and is one of the reasons I defend MMA to the Budo-Honour, Moral-High-Horse mob I normally associate with..

It's sad to hear those days are gone.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    7/12/2011 4:10am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Moar stupid refereeing from judo. Finnish Championships final match:

Relevant part start at about 1:30. Notice how the referee never checks the condition and tries to stop the coach from helping his student.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Posted On:
    7/12/2011 4:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can we get a check from someone who's a qualified ref like Ben what the actual guidance on this is for refs.

As I think they actually have guidance documents that say they shouldn't interfere and have to let the tournament medics attend to them.

Although in most of these cases if someone is out the player who put them out brings them round, because players know the risks and look after other competitors.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    7/12/2011 6:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hpr View Post
    Moar stupid refereeing from judo. Finnish Championships final match:

Relevant part start at about 1:30. Notice how the referee never checks the condition and tries to stop the coach from helping his student.
    Did the ref call ippon just before she let go, there? If so, given this:
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk
    As I think they actually have guidance documents that say they shouldn't interfere and have to let the tournament medics attend to them.
    I'm not sure what the problem is? Though rules that allow your opponent to try to bring you round while the ref can't touch you seem a bit crazy.

Posted On:
    7/12/2011 6:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Did the ref call ippon just before she let go, there? If so, given this:
    I'm not sure what the problem is? Though rules that allow your opponent to try to bring you round while the ref can't touch you seem a bit crazy.
    Well I'm not 100% sure that's why I wanted a qualified ref to check with, because I'm not a qualified ref and so don't get the guidance docs and briefings that they do.

I think its less a case of the rules allowing an opponent to bring you round, but not the ref, more of your opponent doesn't have anything telling them they can or can't and thus if they feel compelled to help, they do.

See Tom Reed putting Huck of Germany out.

The ref only lifts a hand to summon the medics, but Reed, being a nice bloke, has already brought Huck round by the time the medic gets there.

EDIT:
    This is from an IJF guidance document, which explains why refs aren't interfering to stop when it is ambiguous whether there's a hold and shimewaza and or unconsciousness has occurred.

When a contestant submits in osaekomi, shime waza or kansetsu waza the referee must ensure that the contestant taps at least twice on the tatami or body. The referee must not give an ippon for one tap. This may lead to a claim by the uke that there was no submission and cause the coach to lodge a protest at a higher level.

In shime waza, if there is only one tap, the referee must wait until uke becomes unconscious. When the fingers of the hands open, the toes on the feet relax, or the body goes limp or in spasm, this generally is an indication that uke is unconscious.
    http://www.intjudo.eu/IJF_Referee_Ma...of_The_Referee

And this

Ippon

The referee announces ippon when a contestant throws his/her opponent with control largely on the back with force and speed.
    Ippon is also announced under the following circumstances:

in local / national events when the effect of kansetsu waza (joint lock) or shime waza (strangulation) is sufficiently apparent. (not at international events)
    http://www.intjudo.eu/IJF_Referee_Ma...est_Procedures

Suggests there is a further standard required to award ippon from a shimewaza attack beyond becoming 'sufficiently apparent', but doesn't explain what it is.
    Last edited by judoka_uk; 7/12/2011 6:54am at .

On hiatus

Posted On:
    7/12/2011 7:02am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonist View Post
    Dan. Miragliotta.

....'Cause when Anderson Silva has to come to your help,
    chances are you're really fucked.
    What's the story here?

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    7/13/2011 12:47am

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was sitting ringside for this. About 95% of the people in the stadium would have made better refs than that guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2011 5:30am

Style: Judo (noob) & BJJ (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That ref was terrible.
    Is there any form of training for MMA referees? do they need to pass a certain amount of hours at least watching people rolling so as to understand what's going on?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast