Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2011 2:17am

Style: Aikido, Aikiken, Aikijo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm in doubt because we do both Kashima-Shinryu and Aikiken at the dojo.

My current bokken is a standard and very cheap issue, I wanted something a little better.

Posted On:
    7/12/2011 3:22am

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any Kim Taylor Bokken will be better, a lot better, he'll make pretty much whatever you want, in any wood you want.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/12/2011 3:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kashima Shinryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm assuming you're related to Inaba's group then. In that case, you should probably take whatever advice your teacher has on this. I don't know how your group works in regards to bokuto, since we're not affiliated.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 3:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fluffers View Post
    I'm assuming you're related to Inaba's group then. In that case, you should probably take whatever advice your teacher has on this. I don't know how your group works in regards to bokuto, since we're not affiliated.
    Actually is a bit complicated: we're affiliated with Aikikai Italy as a token of respect for my Sensei's Sensei which is in the BOD.

My Sensei is a personal friend of Corallini Shihan and an admirer of Tissier Shihan so the way we are teached taijutsu is influenced and reminescent of those two Sensei.
    The same goes for weapons training, we don't use the Kata from Aikikai Italy but those from Saito Sensei's lineage (for the Jo) and we often mix Iwama and Kashima for kumitachi and ken no suburi.

Yoj, that site is wonderful, i'm just waiting for green light from a senpai and than i'll purchase the bokken there.

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 4:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Evil, yes it is, I have several pieces of his work, bokken, jo, and a lovely zebra wood hanbo, his pieces are very good, far better quality than any factory piece, with strong grain lines.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/16/2011 8:40pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kashima Shinryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilenzo View Post
    Actually is a bit complicated: we're affiliated with Aikikai Italy as a token of respect for my Sensei's Sensei which is in the BOD.

My Sensei is a personal friend of Corallini Shihan and an admirer of Tissier Shihan so the way we are teached taijutsu is influenced and reminescent of those two Sensei.
    The same goes for weapons training, we don't use the Kata from Aikikai Italy but those from Saito Sensei's lineage (for the Jo) and we often mix Iwama and Kashima for kumitachi and ken no suburi.
    I see. Well, that's interesting. A quick note though - if you really must shorten the name of the school, the truncated form is "[the] Shinryu". Kashima is a place name, so it's quite like saying I play "American" when I play "American football" which doesn't make much sense. Also, considering that Aikido historically has a (small) link to Kashima Shinto-ryu, it could confuse things even more.

Then agan, if you're mixing it with Iwama-ryu or Aikido, I'm not sure if the Shinryu would fit either. From what I've seen of the Aikido side of things, it's quite different from what we do. Though, I guess that's not really for me to say.

A quick addendum though... Do you guys follow any of the Kashima Shinryu curriculum outside of the kenjutsu? Like the jujutsu, for example.
    Last edited by Mr. Fluffers; 7/16/2011 8:47pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2011 10:06pm

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard good things about Kingfisher:
    http://kingfisherwoodworks.com/

Haven't used them yet, but I plan to. They do customized kanji inscriptions, I think...if that's important to you.

Best of luck on your purchase.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2011 4:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry for the delay, i'm a bit busy in this period...

@ Mr. Fluffers: i didn't know that Kashima Shinryu had jujutsu tecniques as well, i'm going to do some research! Thank you for the advice!

@ daishi: Thanks for this other link, i'm browsing that site right now!

@ Yoj: I sent an email to Kim Taylor's address but nobody answered. I has a sad! :-(

Posted On:
    8/20/2011 5:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thats a real shame, he wasnt always that quick to answer stuff, but was generally reliable, plus this is kind of a hobby business for him, and I think he works at a university, so ma be 'away' at this time of year.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2011 1:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, i see...

Well, i'll write him again in September, maybe he'll be back!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12