218308 Bullies, 4564 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'm Svelte!

Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsOverdriveTagger First ClassThree FriendsYour first Group

Posted On:
    7/10/2011 3:44pm

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Democracy Sucks

Compare if you will these two historical Irish leaders

The top Michael Collins, warrior, statesman, hero

Below Bertie Ahern, corrupt, inept poster boy for the Celtic tiger

If Michal Collins met Bertie today, he would kick him in the bollocks and tread on his throat!

I am fed up with being represented and ruled by a bunch of fools whose only qualification is to have won a popularity contest. Would we let the winners of X factor decide how our respective country is run? I think not
    Democracy, each person having a say in who holds and exercises power is not working. It is producing politicians that are afraid to have a point of view in case it makes them unpopular, and produces policies that are designed to win the next election, not run the state in a professional manner.
    Potentially great leaders are lost due to their fondness for being spanked by fat women (on their own time), whilst big business buys up the insipid left overs, the scum that rises to the surface!

It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried. Winston Churchill
    So what is the solution? Well this is my idea. If you like it as much as I do, vote for me to be World President and Benign Dictator of the Solar System

Randemocracy.
    Our representatives are randomly selected from the electoral register. This is done for juries, who can in some cases decide maters of life and death, so why not for states persons?
    Not only will we save the cost of elections every four years, but the people who represent and rule us will be of us. They will know what it is like to be a normal person, not a member of some ponsey ruling elite. Pay them well, and after four/five years rotate them, thus reducing the risk of corruption.

Power to the People!

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Three Friends3 months registered1000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    7/10/2011 5:16pm

Style: Kyokushin

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What if the person who is randomly selected has senile dementia and is convinced that black people are aliens sent to steal and eat white babies?

Featherweight

Achievements:
    3 months registered

Posted On:
    7/10/2011 6:06pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Big Ups to Michael Collins. TAL

It is the same here in the States. We give massive bailouts to filthy corporations who refuse to reinvest the money in creating jobs. We have a president who thinks he is doing a swell job in dealing with the economy. Mind he has never had a real job in his life.

STOP POSTING!

Achievements:
    Recommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/10/2011 6:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    aaaaaaaaaaand you are exactly WHY the OPs idea wouldnt work. never worked a day in his life? go look at Obamas resume fucksauce, he did more work for better causes before he even got into office than you will in your whole life. you think being a lecturer is a cushy job? the lecturers that i know personally, if they are good, basically spend every waking moment being an educator. you dont get any real holidays.

democracy isnt perfect. the perfect system would be a dictatorship with the perfect person leading it, but history has shown that never works out. being a jury member is very different from being a MP. of course a lot of them are idiots, and it is unfortunately more a popularity vote than anything else. so what to do?

ill come back to this after i finish watching the finals of the NASL. go puma! manner mules!

Posted On:
    7/10/2011 6:42pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well here in the USA, we are a Republic, which is a nice way of saying democracy with limits. A true democracy won't work until we evolve as humans to the point we no longer covet and only desire what we need. To be honest we are just few generations away from clubbing our mate over the head and dragging them to our cave.

STOP POSTING!

Achievements:
    Recommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/10/2011 7:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    puma won!

so anyway back to the topic at hand, you are dead right- people arent smart enough for the OPs idea to work. what needs to change is the way people are elected, or should I say the eligibility of people to be elected. I feel that instead of being more open to who can be a politican, we should be MORE stringent. Why can we have a PM holding a police minister portfolio who has never been a cop? why can a health minister not be a doctor? also rules in place regarding campain promises and time limits- if it doesnt happen within a certain period of time youre gone. politicans are there to serve the country and if they cant do that they need to get the **** out, but as it is, its too easy for them to cling onto meaningless jobs.

there was a recent case of a guy over here who was a male minister and got into trouble over sexual assault allegations around naked male college students running around the street from his house. he was minister of student affairs or something, but what amazed me is that the country was paying this guy 200k a year to get drunk at uni piss ups and chase young boys. and he was in the fucking opposition party! so his role was totally meaningless anyway!

a system i would like to see is a blind voting system. you vote for members of parliament based on their policies and ideologies- you dont know their name or face. checks are set in place for any promise they make- if they cant come up with a timeframe that it HAS to be set in motion by, they cant talk about it. there is no campaign spending, no sponsorship, everyone has equal footing. nobody can hold a portfolio they are not qualified to hold. their jobs are completely at the mercy of the people, who can call for a vote of no confidence under certain circumstances. (failed policy bids etc)

Certified Fitness Trainer

Achievements:
    VeteranYour first GroupThree FriendsCreated Album picturesTagger First Class

Posted On:
    7/10/2011 7:28pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe it was Winston Churchill that once said: "Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all of the others." There is a disturbing amount of truth to this statement. The OPs suggestion is of course riddled with flaws... but hey, it probably wouldn't be the worst thing out there either. One of the benefits would be that with such a system, the government would never really be able to become powerful enough to have a substantial foothold in the lives of everyday people.

Better this than military dictatorship I suppose.

Probably the best thing to do to try to get the system under control would be to impose stricter term limits, and somehow regulate better the ways in which politicians can spend tax money.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

MADE OF STEEL!

Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/10/2011 9:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu Swordfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not that I'm proposing this - I have far too little heart for politics to actually propose anything - but what advantages does a democracy have over a Confucian-style meritocracy, where state positions are given out based on demonstrable insight into statecraft?
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Posted On:
    7/11/2011 12:34am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't speak for any other country but here in the US the most powerful force in politics is the media. They make or break any candidate and political party or aspiration. Some people here seem to think their opinions are not formed by what the Boob tube tells them but if its not the tube its the radio, internet, or print. Everyone is effected at least a little by it.

More over the media is now controlled by large corporations and conglomerates making it a business and PR firm for their respective political leanings or beliefs. We have 2 ways of thinking here in todays media america for the most part. You are either a socially conscious invertebrate or a self serving money grubber. They give you the two sides and then let you pick between them, then they cast each camps candidate as the perfect example of that party line. Then when you vote and your candidate of choice is elected, you get a guy who is neither extreme but rather a centrist who wants to be re-elected.

Its complete lunacy and for me reminds me of an episode of MTV's so-called "Real World". A lot of drama and charismatic people that amounts to the same thing over and over again. All of it BS and completely scripted...

But then again its cheap entertainment..LOL

Certified Fitness Trainer

Achievements:
    VeteranYour first GroupThree FriendsCreated Album picturesTagger First Class

Posted On:
    7/11/2011 2:07am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    Not that I'm proposing this - I have far too little heart for politics to actually propose anything - but what advantages does a democracy have over a Confucian-style meritocracy, where state positions are given out based on demonstrable insight into statecraft?
    Well, offhand, I'd say the answer to your question is that you can't trust the people who make that determination in the first place. Sure, the guy being chosen might have some merit.... but do the people making the choice in the first place have any merit?
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast