Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2012 1:13am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To the OP: I must say that I believe your experience is fairly rare. In my club, I'm most often initially paired with someone of much higher rank due to a size and weight similarity (before both of us go to practice on people with different sizes and weights). I am sort of a newb at judo and he has been doing it for seven years. He and I get along just fine (he's also much younger than me at 13), and when we need to practice a specific technique, he and I both seem to immediately seek each other out. It's great practicing with a person who's been doing it for so much longer because I can ask him questions in regard to what we're doing at any given time; and if you're having trouble pairing with such a person, that is to your detriment.

In addition, I attended two classes of the Colorado Winter Training (once at a larger, rec-center club called Northglenn Judo, and once at the club I attend, Hyland Hills); aside from the fact that only training twice that week (and only once at a different club than my own) isn't the best pool for data, I can say this: when I went to a different club for the first time (and you can credit this to what you will), the higher ranks were anything but leery of lower ranks. At Northglenn Judo, the higher ranks actively sought out lower ranks to randori with.

Botton-line: I have always found that the higher ranked individuals are the best to practice with, and in my experience, they are always eager and willing to train with the lower ranks. If the higher ranks of your club are avoiding the lower ranked peers, I would talk to your coach immediately.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/21/2012 4:38pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can see why people might be leery of randori with noobs, they do tend to twitch and flail around unpredictably. That said, a friendly attitude and willingness to work with complete newcomers is pretty much required where I train. Our Judo club is just a handful of guys that hang out during and after a college Judo 101 class. We help train the college kids and then do our thing after. Any of the college kids that want to play are more than welcome to. Also, the worst Judo injury I've gotten was courtesy of a dipshit shodan who insisted on using kani basami, even after he had been warned to stop. Fucker destroyed my knee, rendered me unable to work for months. Asshole.
    Smoke crack and worship Satan.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2012 4:40pm

Style: MMA,scjj,judo,some tkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All the judoka at my dojo are happy ro randori with me. Im a white belt and the rest are all about blue and up and theyre confident in me. its also a small judo class so that might be one of the reasons

Posted On:
    2/22/2012 4:59pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewpmma View Post
    All the judoka at my dojo are happy ro randori with me. Im a white belt and the rest are all about blue and up and theyre confident in me. its also a small judo class so that might be one of the reasons
    Your point is well taken. When a young dude I would randori with white or brown belts a lot because it gave me a chance to practice techniques I would not be afforded with other yudansha.

Girls were especially nice because they weighed less and I could use my finger tips :) This type of practice is not new; I learned it living in Okinawa and Japan, the hard way. Many of my randori partners were yodan and godans able to use techniques on me they needed to perfect before attacking their peers. It eas educational from both sides of course; nothing like practicing with advanced Judoka. Great fun 50 years ago.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2012 5:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dustymars View Post
    Your point is well taken. When a young dude I would randori with white or brown belts a lot because it gave me a chance to practice techniques I would not be afforded with other yudansha.

Girls were especially nice because they weighed less and I could use my finger tips :) This type of practice is not new; I learned it living in Okinawa and Japan, the hard way. Many of my randori partners were yodan and godans able to use techniques on me they needed to perfect before attacking their peers. It eas educational from both sides of course; nothing like practicing with advanced Judoka. Great fun 50 years ago.
    yeah, the guys at my place are great people. if were doing light to medium randori and i go for a fit in and a throw they give me time ti correct my positioning and throw them instead of just countering and crushing me

Posted On:
    2/22/2012 6:14pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    andrewpmma,

In my years I practiced in a lot of Judo dojo and neverfound any other but nice people. In my time we never crushed anyone; neverneeded to. We went to practice to learn and from white belts to higher ranks --everyone teaches each other. When a yudansha even hints of crushing you --leave. Come back when you can crush him and do it with prejudice. The young Japanese KA would try to crush us GI's, but that got old quickly and then we came alive. Smash them we did.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2012 6:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dustymars View Post
    andrewpmma,

In my years I practiced in a lot of Judo dojo and neverfound any other but nice people. In my time we never crushed anyone; neverneeded to. We went to practice to learn and from white belts to higher ranks --everyone teaches each other. When a yudansha even hints of crushing you --leave. Come back when you can crush him and do it with prejudice. The young Japanese KA would try to crush us GI's, but that got old quickly and then we came alive. Smash them we did.
    well they never do anything that i cant handle and there not intentionally rough its a great school with great people

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2012 12:13pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'm 24 years old and a blue belt, been doing it for about 2-3 years. I'm just getting old enough to not really bother going hard with huge white belts. When you have some giant whitebelt bruiser from hell who is over 6ft and 220 lbs its hard to do anything but not get injured. Why would I volunteer myself for that? I would prefer to be able to practice judo for as long as possible, injury free.

I guess huge newbians piss me off because recently my brother got his shoulder dislocated and was unable to continue judo. It was all due to some whitebelt injured him horribly by falling on him while doing ippon seoinage. In uchikomi practice. Then the guy just left after practice and never came back to own up for his ****. I absolutely hate that sort of lazy attitude and it seems to manifest itself in so many newcomers. It just seems like such a waste if the guy leaves after pulling stupid ****.

I think girls actually are by far the best to practice with as newcomers. Not to be sexist, but they seem to lack the overwhelming urge to destroy everything and prove themselves to be superior in a lot of cases. Maybe its the lack of testosterone surging throughout their system. Also, due to their lack of physical strength in comparison to mine own, if they do spazz out it doesn't kill me, and I'm able to dial down my strength and work pure technique with them and not injure them either.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2012 4:36pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, I don't mean to seem like an arrogant ass with my last post. When I started as a white belt myself I was helped out a lot by the higher ranks, but I also worked my ass off all the time and never missed class. What I'm trying to say is my current level of skill (blue) is simply not high enough to safely cope with a giant spazzeroid trying to break my kneecaps, so I decide to avoid them except for basic uchikomi

Posted On:
    2/23/2012 5:03pm

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We get 2 types of noobs at judo. Large Cops who want to learn restrain, and small BJJ guys looking for throws. Hilarity.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345