218280 Bullies, 8081 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsOverdriveYour first GroupTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    7/09/2011 12:34pm

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thats what im asking. Im not sure if we are agreeing or disagreeing. Im just showing you how im interpreting it, and im not sure if im interpreting it correctly or not. I realise that is very hard to judge how written word is intended to sound, but I assure you, as much as we have had our disagreements this one is amicable. As for my opinion being questioned, you've totally got my character wrong here. Everyone has a right to an opinion, and everyone is open to mockery for it.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. "

Beatrice Hall, In Friends of Voltaire (1906)

Administrator

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/09/2011 12:45pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are arguing Altered vs Traditional. I am nowhere near that argument.

Machida doing Shotokan is total BS.
    No, it is not BS it is semantics.

It is not BS to say he is doing highly altered Shoto. It is not BS to say he does Shoto. It is not BS to say what he does isn't shotkan. That is all semantics and neither right nor wrong. One of those is more disingenuous than the others, again that is semantics and an argument for a nutrider.

It is BS to say you or anyone else does Lyoto's shotokan unless, you are his actual student. No, not his father's student, but Lyoto's student.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsOverdriveYour first GroupTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    7/09/2011 12:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In that case then you are entirely correct. So when does Semantics become reality? If he was to retire and teach his style under "Machida Karate"?

I hate how when we get on these tangential arguments we often lose the original shitposter.
    I hope Yli doesnt think he doesnt have to explain his Krav statement.

Administrator

Achievements:

Posted On:
    7/09/2011 12:57pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As long as he is honest who cares? If he retires and teaches "Shotokan," while explaining his entire history, it is up to the student right? He has always been honest about his training practices in interviews and states how Boxing, Muay Thai, and BJJ have helped his game.

Semantically, it is his interpretation of Shotokan and he can call his style whatever.

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    7/09/2011 1:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fair enough. Thats a fine example you've just set out. May very well use that the next time a McDojo defender turns up. Provides a very legitimate example of proper conduct around altering and adding to a style.

Administrator

Achievements:

Posted On:
    7/09/2011 1:08pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My big thing is like you said, don't run around trying to imply "shotokan" is all the same. In other word even full contact "shotokan" schools can not use the argument Lyoto does Shotokan, therefore I do Machida Karate let alone Lyoto Shotokan.

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    7/09/2011 1:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread is being saved for future reference. The topic is bound to come up again.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    3 months registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/11/2011 8:42am

Style: BJJ and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by yli View Post
    I'm not surprised that many Shotokan practitioners actually do full contact fighting, and there are certainly good Shotokan fighters out there. I suspect that (like KM) it's a result of quality control problems in the art and not a problem of the art itself.

We know that Mr. Miyagi wasn't Bullshidoing Daniel-San.

I was always under the impression Mr.Miyagi taugh Daniel-san Goju-ryu, not shotokan. The name Miyagi is a nod to the systems founder Chojun Miyagi. Both are okinawan karate styles so Im sure they have a lot in common.
    Last edited by CheeksWWAC; 7/11/2011 8:47am at . Reason: forgot to add quote

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsOverdriveYour first Group3 months registered

Posted On:
    7/11/2011 9:13am

Style: Stabbing the Face.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Apparently, the authorities at the great site known as Wikipedia have stated that Mr. Miyagi did indeed teach Goju Ryu. I always thought he taught Daniel-San Shotokan because of how common Shotokan was.

More specifically though, Mr. Miyagi was not bullshitting Daniel-San regarding the crane kick.

1% Shark is better than you.

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/11/2011 12:53pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everything Mr. Miyagi did was bullshit training without fighting crap. Go wax a lot full of old cars then let me punch you in the face.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast