Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2011 2:49pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Phillips View Post
    That's why I say things like IIRC when I'm going off memory. Are you saying he wasn't known in the boxing world?
    I'm saying he was a journeyman who never was a legitimate contender. His most notable match was a tune-up fight against Shannon Briggs. It was finished at :26 of the 1st Round. Here it is in its entirety:

If you're going to discount Ichihara as being irrelevant because he was champion of Daido Juku
    I'm not saying he was irrelevant, I'm saying he is obscure. For all I know Ichihara is a total badass. Unfortunately, apart from UFC, few people outside Japan have seen him fight.

I can't see how you can count Ken's notariety in Pancrase which hadn't even held 2 events at the time of UFC I; Ken's fame in Japan at the time was soley from his performances with UWF(i)/Fujiwara Gumi, and not as a combat athlete.
    Again, I'm going by what the UFC commentators said. If they were wrong, fair enough. I can't be bothered to fact check them.

Now where are you getting this business about Oleg's Sambo career? If it's from event commentary, just reference the match so I can check it out.
    UFC 5.

If you're really curious about this era, you'd do better to listen to the input of folks like Holy Moment and I who participated in it as fans.
    I'm going by my own impressions after watching UFC 1-10 this weekend. UFC 6 was the most entertaining event. UFC 9 was the most boring. UFC 3 had two finalists who should not have been there.

You can argue about his, but yet again, those are my impressions.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    7/10/2011 3:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    I'm saying he was a journeyman who never was a legitimate contender. His most notable match was a tune-up fight against Shannon Briggs. It was finished at :26 of the 1st Round. Here it is in its entirety:

Considering what the UFC was able to pay, they are lucky they were able to get even Bowen and Jimmerson. Can you imagine what someone like Golota would have asked for?

I'm not saying he was irrelevant, I'm saying he is obscure. For all I know Ichihara is a total badass. Unfortunately, apart from UFC, few people outside Japan have seen him fight.
    And yet you argue that Shamrock's notoriety, existing solely in that same country qualifies him as one of the UFC's "good" choices? Back of the class, son.

Again, I'm going by what the UFC commentators said. If they were wrong, fair enough. I can't be bothered to fact check them.
    Then expect to be questioned on the parts of your posts that are implausible.
    UFC 5.
    Which part? I'm not going to watch the whole thing.
    I'm going by my own impressions after watching UFC 1-10 this weekend. UFC 6 was the most entertaining event. UFC 9 was the most boring. UFC 3 had two finalists who should not have been there.

You can argue about his, but yet again, those are my impressions.
    Nice strawman. I never argued with your reasons for liking or disliking any of 1-10 even once.
    Last edited by Matt Phillips; 7/10/2011 3:21pm at .
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/10/2011 5:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    UFC 4 took place prior to the Briggs knockout. Prior to the, Bowen was best known for his fight with Carl "The Truth" Williams:

He also went the distance with Tony Tubbs, and was apparently considered a notable enough victory for the Cyber Boxing Zone to list him amongst Tubb's best wins:

http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/tubbs-t.htm

Bowen's fight with Steve Jennum is my favorite striker vs. grappler fight from the old UFC. It's true that Bowen was never a real contender, but he was still a consummate professional with many fights under his belt. Jennum was a rank amateur who only had one MMA fight, despite being champion. Nevertheless, Steve "The Ninja Cop" Jennum (Who cross-trained in Muay Thai, Taekwondo, Judo, and BJJ along with his Ninjutsu) still had enough grappling ability to beat his larger opponent (Jennum's weight was beefed up in the stats):

Maybe Bowen's babygirl will grow up to be an MMA fighter and avenge her father's defeat:

Edit: I just realized that the commentators in the first video I posted gave some information on Bowen's rank at the time.
    Last edited by Holy Moment; 7/10/2011 5:27pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/10/2011 5:38pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    do we have videos or atleast pictures??
    Here you go:

http://mmatrainingworkoutsonline.com...-videos/ufc-3/

The first round had some of the best action in the UFC up to that point. The second round was basically just Ken's fight with prison warden Felix Lee Mitchell, as Howard vs. Gracie is non-existent. The finale between Jennum and Howard was actually pretty good, and I think Jennum would've beaten Howard even if they were both fresh.
    Last edited by Holy Moment; 7/10/2011 5:44pm at .

Posted On:
    7/10/2011 5:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Bowen/Jennum fight was really interesting because, in a wacky way, Jennum was a very rudamentary kind of early mixed martial artist: he had a little bit of kicboxing and boxing skill, a little bit of grappling skill, and hit a pretty decent no-gi O-goshi.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/10/2011 5:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Bowen/Jennum fight was really interesting because, in a wacky way, Jennum was a very rudamentary kind of early mixed martial artist: he had a little bit of kicboxing and boxing skill, a little bit of grappling skill, and hit a pretty decent no-gi O-goshi.
    That's what I always thought. He was definitely one of the early guys who cross trained. The style he founded, Innovative Martial Arts Systems, combined Judo, BJJ, Muay Thai, and Taekwondo.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/10/2011 6:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a matter of interest, are there any videos out there of fat guys winning ultimate fighting bouts? By that, I mean really fat guys, the sort that could have appropriate entrance music involving nothing but a tuba - not just some kickboxer with a beer gut...
    How about a fight where both guys are fat?

There were a few other videos up on Youtube that got taken down. Maybe I'll dig into my own library, because frankly I like watching fat guys fight.

Edit: Wait, here we go:

Last edited by Holy Moment; 7/10/2011 6:32pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2011 6:59pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    Bowen's fight with Steve Jennum is my favorite striker vs. grappler fight from the old UFC. It's true that Bowen was never a real contender, but he was still a consummate professional with many fights under his belt. Jennum was a rank amateur who only had one MMA fight, despite being champion. Nevertheless, Steve "The Ninja Cop" Jennum (Who cross-trained in Muay Thai, Taekwondo, Judo, and BJJ along with his Ninjutsu) still had enough grappling ability to beat his larger opponent (Jennum's weight was beefed up in the stats):

I was surprised by how long that fight lasted. Melton's fatal mistake was attempting the hook from the inside. Don't get me wrong, if he connected it probably would have been a different fight. The gamble cost him, though.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    7/10/2011 7:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    I'm saying he was a journeyman who never was a legitimate contender. His most notable match was a tune-up fight against Shannon Briggs.
    Bowen was a SOLID journeyman.
    Before he fought Briggs, he also fought Carl "The Truth" Williams, who while being a few steps past his former glory of his Holmes fight, had still been fighting top-tier level competition AND he fought former WBA (? think it was WBA) Heavyweight Champ Tony Tubbs.

While Belton wasn't a top tier contender, he was a decent representative.

Posted On:
    7/10/2011 7:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    That's what I always thought. He was definitely one of the early guys who cross trained. The style he founded, Innovative Martial Arts Systems, combined Judo, BJJ, Muay Thai, and Taekwondo.
    Yes... unfortunately for Jennum, Ruas was the real Mixed_Martial_Artist_1.0 ;)
    Last edited by Matt Phillips; 7/10/2011 8:08pm at .

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast