Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2011 1:45am

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

UFC 3: The Lamest UFC Ever

I just finished a marathon of watching early UFCs. In chronological order, I watched UFC 1-5. It strikes me that of any UFC ever, UFC 3 has to be the lamest.

It featured:
    • The circus freak match of a 5'10" 200lbs Kenpo practitioner Keith Hackney against a 6'8" 600lbs Emmanuel Yarborough. Yarborough had zero agility, and Hackney broke his fist against Yarborough's head.
    • Kimo Leopoldo entered the ring strapped to a cross with his entourage telling the audience to repent of their sins.
    • A clearly mentally unstable Harold Howard who was gung hu over facing Royce Gracie, only to have Gracie throw in the towel right before the match started.
    • When it became obvious Gracie wasn't going to continue the tournament, Ken Shamrock decided that he too was going to bow out citing an injury.
    • The highlight was Harold Howard missing a scissor-flip kick and landing on his back.
    • Steve Jennum entered the final having not fought anyone. Being fresh, he handily defeated Howard who expended all his energy failing at his scissor-flip kick.
    • This would mark the only time a ninja would win a UFC title

I can now appreciate how far the sport has evolved -- and their strong efforts towards not repeating the craptitude that was UFC 3. May a debacle of that magnitude never happen again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2011 3:08am

Style: BJJ (blue), Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Strange. I thought all of those things made it memorable and awesome (except for Royce and Ken ducking out).

Harold Howard's first fight, Karate beats Muay Thai with a KO. Pretty awesome fight for back then. Steve Jennum ninja-ing his way to win the tournament, hilarious and awesome. A 210 lb Kenpo guy beating a 600 lb sumo guy while breaking his hand on his face? What's not to love?

If you're comin on, COME ON!!

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    7/09/2011 3:56am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to agree with E.M.

All those things (with the possible exception of Jennum) made UFC3 awesome.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2011 4:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The fact that Jennum didn't have to fight anyone till the last fight proves his skill in ninja subterfuge.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    7/09/2011 4:50am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PXM View Post
    The fact that Jennum didn't have to fight anyone till the last fight proves his skill in ninja subterfuge.
    How is it that this beautiful irony seems to escape atomic?
    Imagine if Jennum "convinced" shamrock and gracie to drop out... [/troll]

The plot thickens.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2011 5:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He left them the severed heads of their puppies.

Shut up everyone knows MMA fighters have puppies.

Those Pit bull terriers with spiky chains have to start somewhere.
    Last edited by PXM; 7/09/2011 5:39am at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/09/2011 8:07am

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Strange. I thought all of those things made it memorable and awesome (except for Royce and Ken ducking out).
    I agree, but I don't necessarily think Royce and Ken ducking out was that bad. It made things more interesting and raised the tension of their rivalry, almost like how something in pro wrestling would play out. The real lame part in all this was the ultimate payoff in UFC 5 (God knows if it would've been any better in UFC 3).

One funny thing about Steve Jennum winning the tournament is that he was treated like a Cinderella man in Black Belt mag. It turns out that earlier that night, he missed two other opportunities to get on the card (Once against Ken Shamrock and once against Harold Howard in the semis). Against Shamrock, he was replaced by the second alternate Felix Lee Mitchell when the UFC staff couldn't find Jennum in the crowd after Hackney dropped out. When Royce dropped out against Howard, the event organizers decided just to move to the finale to save time.

Edit: Does the OP plan on watching more oldschool events? Just wait until you get to UFC's 9 and 11, and then you'll know what a REAL lame event looks like.
    Last edited by Holy Moment; 7/09/2011 8:11am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2011 8:16am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No mention that the fat guy has a background in "both sumoo and judoo"?

Twas seared in my memory.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2011 1:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    I just finished a marathon of watching early UFCs. In chronological order, I watched UFC 1-5. It strikes me that of any UFC ever, UFC 3 has to be the lamest.

It featured:

[List][*]The circus freak match of a 5'10" 200lbs Kenpo practitioner Keith Hackney against a 6'8" 600lbs Emmanuel Yarborough. Yarborough had zero agility, and Hackney broke his fist against Yarborough's head.
    To me this fight is a perfect example of why fighters who plan on doing heavy striking need gloves as well as size doesn't count as much as other factors. Also I would argue that EVERY early UFC match was a freakshow.
    [*]Kimo Leopoldo entered the ring strapped to a cross with his entourage telling the audience to repent of their sins.
    I will agree that it was a bit over the top as far as ring entrance theatrics go but the fight itself was another (and better) proof of technique over size and strength. Also it is a reminder of why military forces as far back as the Romans made their fighters shave off beards and cut their hair short. That fight may have turned out quite different if Kimo didn't wear that silly Mongolian ponytail for Royce to grab onto.

I can now appreciate how far the sport has evolved -- and their strong efforts towards not repeating the craptitude that was UFC 3. May a debacle of that magnitude never happen again.
    It is a good history lesson and what little footage remains available must be preserved if only to refute the mcdojo dumbasses that still theorize about how the downward elbow is the 100% counter to single or double leg takedown, throat and groin strikes are instantly deadly fight enders and so on. IT'S. BEEN. DONE. The minimalist ruleset and style vs style "peer review process" never got the publicity that MMA has now. It's pretty unrealistic to think it will return in any form but I'd still like to see it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2011 3:53pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I recognize the educational value of UFC 3, but it should be taken with a grain of salt.

First, contrary to what the colour commentators said, it was the well conditioned athletes, not necessarily the most adept at technique who did well. It was no accident that as each UFC went by, fighters got bigger and bigger.

Second, with the notable exceptions of Gerard Gordeau and Patrick Smith, the "punchers" -- as UFC called them -- were not elite level strikers. Funny enough, Gordeau and Smith were also the guys who advanced to the finals against Royce Gracie in UFC 1 and 2.

Third, I found it annoying that UFC kept saying there "were no rules" when there clearly were rules.

What UFC did do was cause the martial arts community to better respect the grappling arts. I remember as a kid talking to my gym teacher who had a black belt in karate. He told me "wrestlers don't know how to fight". Well, I doubt anyone will say that nowadays.
    Last edited by atomicpoet; 7/09/2011 4:01pm at .
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast