Thread: Lost in Denver

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Lost in Denver

Hi,
    I'd like to introduce myself. I was a student of Shaolin-do and attended the Denver CSC under David and Sharon Soard. I didn't know anything about martial arts before I joined and although at first I didn't buy into everything they taught, it seemed like a god school. After developing doubts (mainly about GMT, the history, lineage, etc.) I started questioning their teachings. That's when I found a whole lot of stuff on the internet, forums and sites like these that made me want to quit altogether.
    I'm pretty sad about it because I really like the people there and had fun but the problems with shaolin do that have been discussed (at length) on this forum still exist.

So I'm shopping for a new school and am wondering if there's anyone who lives here can give me some advice? I think I want to stay with Asian martial arts but am open to new ideas. I joined CSC for fitness, to learn about a new culture (which I really liked about the school) and to learn some self defense and fighting which I had never done before.

I'm thinking of visiting the below schools:
    http://www.wahlum.net/index.php (seems similar to CSC but they don't have belts and the kids program looks separate from the adults which is good)
    http://denverama.com/Main/index.htm
    http://coloradoschoolofwingchun.com/39.0.html
    http://www.coloradokravmaga.com/

I picked these based on what I've heard from discussions on other forums. Also thinking of trying wing chun or krav maga because of heard that those are ideal for people my size. Has anyone had any experience with these schools? As you can see, I'm kind of lost and really just want to find a good school and see if I'm even cut out for martial arts.

A few more things about myself, I'm in my mid thirties, am short but athletic and I think I'm in pretty good shape for someone my age.

Thanks for your help

Style
    Stabbing the Face.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd be rather cautious about Wing Chun because it more often than not doesn't do much in the way of live combat. You'll never learn what you practice will work (or not) until it's too late.

Colorado Krav Maga is a good Krav Maga school (because they make you glove up and hit each other, and because the owner of the place isn't some guy who signed up for the 1 week instructor's course and is now selling Krav Maga). That being said, Krav Maga is not exactly the best martial art for the smaller sort of person because it places a lot of emphasis on striking and aggression and despite all the hype, it takes a long, long time to master KM to the point where you're able to use it to defend yourself. If you really want to take it, be very careful to check up on the credentials of the instructors there and to make sure they hold the ranks they say they hold (actually, do that for every school you go to regardless of style).

As a smaller person, you're better off with some kind of grappling martial art. Colorado Krav Maga doesn't have that many grappling sections (at least not that I can see on their website). I'd say that because self defense is your main goal, you should take something like Brazilian Jujitsu or Judo due to your smaller size. Also, it's easier to explain to the judge or jury what you did if you use those arts in self defense vs. Krav Maga.

That Sayoc school, Denver AMA seems interesting, but I am no authority on Filipino Martial Arts. Maybe Permalost could comment on it.

Style
    Enshin Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Enshin! You are lucky enough to live in the hometown of a very effective, full contact style of karate. I went there for a bit and loved it. http://honbu.enshin.com/

Style
    Taijiquan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can find Mark Nothdurft, he might teach you Gene Chen's substyle of Chen taiji, which will meet your cultural, health, and self-defense needs.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you, this is good advice. I'll definitely take your suggestions into consideration. Thanks again!

Style
    BJJ/Shidokan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to learn about a culture take a class at community college. If you want to exercise and learn how to fight take an alive martial art.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    If you want to learn about a culture take a class at community college. If you want to exercise and learn how to fight take an alive martial art.
    Taking an alive martial art, yes, that's what I hope to do. As far as learning about other cultures, I liked that at my old school because we learned about Chinese culture from a martial arts perspective (as far as stories, history of certain weapons, forms, etc.). I'm not sure if I could get that from a community college course but I see what you're saying. Thanks : )

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will tell you right now 90% of what you learned was wrong. I took a College course in Chinese because of the art. A ton of the basics, minus counting, are just outright wrong and misinformed.

What they do tell you that is correct you will learn in a conversational Chinese language class or in a college level cultural awareness course. I am not a Buddhist, but took one upper division course in Buddhism. Almost none of the stuff you heard in the CSC was correct.

Enjoy the friends you made and the fun you had. Whatever you take next do not rely on CSC for anything.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, good point, It Is Fake. I didn't always believe everything they told us at CSC. I did go on one of the China trips with them which was a blast. However I didn't take a lot of the activities they did such as testing students at the Shao-Lin temple too seriously, nor did I participate. I have some Chinese-American friends that I've already learned a lot from and who would be great to travel with when I decide to visit again.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiet Girl View Post
    Yes, good point, It Is Fake. I didn't always believe everything they told us at CSC. I did go on one of the China trips with them which was a blast. However I didn't take a lot of the activities they did such as testing students at the Shao-Lin temple too seriously, nor did I participate. I have some Chinese-American friends that I've already learned a lot from and who would be great to travel with when I decide to visit again.
    See my CMA history thread for an introductory survey of the literature

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=105854&page=1

Its incomplete and I need to get round to the second half, but so far exams, life and work have gotten in the way.

Hopefully I'll find time to post up the second half soon.