Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 7:32pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Evolution Combat Club

WHO TRAINS AT EVOLUTION COMBAT CLUB?

Our members are a mix of experienced martial artists and new students. We have members who hold black belts and other ranks in many martial arts. Our members have competed in many disciplines including karate, boxing, muay thai, wrestling, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, submission wrestling and of course, MMA. We respect all martial arts and welcome martial artists from all styles to join us and to grow with us.

I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE IN MARTIAL ARTS. CAN I STILL JOIN THE CLUB AND TRAIN?

We welcome new members with no previous experience. Members with no prior martial arts background will benefit not only from the experience of the coaches but also from the experience of the other members.

I PRESENTLY TRAIN BJJ/MUAY THAI/KARATE ETC…HOWEVER, MY SCHOOL DOESN’T OFFER ANY MMA TRAINING. CAN I TRAIN AT EVOLUTION COMBAT CLUB AND STILL TRAIN AT MY OTHER SCHOOL?

At Evolution Combat Club we encourage our members to cross train in various disciplines. We have no objection to our members continuing their martial arts training – unfortunately, some schools tend to discourage their students from expanding their knowledge and force them to choose one school over the other. We will NEVER require a member to make that choice.

WHAT DOES A TYPICAL CLASS ENTAIL?

The basic formula for most classes would be: 15-25 minutes of warm ups; all of our warm up exercises are sport specific, meaning that the movements generally mimic some aspect of fighting technique. Jumping rope, shadow boxing, resistance band training, heavy bag work and wrestling/grappling drills usually compose the warmups. Next we review previous material, answer questions regarding that material, and then introduce new material. We heavily emphasize drilling and repetition, and we increase the intensity as the members become familiar with the material. We close the class with either technical sparring, ground sparring, flow drilling or some other type of high intensity exercise.

IT SOUNDS VERY PHYSICALLY DEMANDING. DO I NEED TO BE IN SHAPE BEFORE I JOIN?

The training is extremely physically demanding. It is not necessary for you to be a performance athlete before you join, however you should be healthy and free of any serious physical ailments.

I REALLY WANT TO COMPETE IN MMA. CAN YOU TRAIN ME FOR A FIGHT?

When you are ready to compete in MMA, muay thai, boxing, BJJ, submission wrestling etc…we will train you and prepare you for the fight. In addition to our MMA coaches the club has access to a number of strength and conditioning and personal fitness trainers. When preparing a member for a competition we often seek assistance from outside sources in the form of coaches, sparring partners, etc. Our goal is to fully prepare our fighter to deal with any situation we may encounter.

I'M NOT REALLY LOOKING TO FIGHT, I JUST WANT TO GET INTO SHAPE. WILL I GET INTO SHAPE AT THE CLUB?

You will definitely improve your overall fitness while training with us. You will also learn strategies for losing weight, gaining muscle and increasing strength. Besides the exercise training you will also gain insight into proper nutrition, supplementation and physical/mental wellness.

WHAT EQUIPMENT WILL I NEED TO PARTICIPATE?

A cup and mouthpiece are mandatory for all classes. You may wear wrestling shoes if you wish. 16 oz boxing gloves and MMA gloves are required and can be purchased at the club or online. Headgear is available for use, however most people prefer to have their own for sanitary reasons. Optional but recommended equipment includes knee pads, shin guards, rash guards, wrestling ear guards and elbow pads.

HOW CAN I FIND OUT MORE?

The best way to get answers to all your questions is to come to a class and participate, or just watch. Your first class is free and there is no obligation to join. If you need more information feel free to call Doug at 516-768-9470 or logon to the message board and post your question at: http://evolutioncombat.proboards67.com/
    Last edited by evomma; 10/11/2008 10:44pm at . Reason: grammer

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2007 7:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    stop down for a free week of classes, just say you saw it here on BULLSHIDO.NET!!!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 4:10pm

Style: Kickboxing, Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is just the FAQ from the website copied verbatim. What about the facility, who teaches, their rank, etc, etc?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 8:40pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: IMA, BJJ Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think this might be an advertisement not a review.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2007 9:44pm

Style: Kickboxing, Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabateur
    I think this might be an advertisement not a review.
    Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of a "Dojo REVIEW" forum?

Just my two cents.

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 11:20am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Evolution

O.K, I've been to the school and trained w/Doug for a few months. Great instruction, excellent atmosphere. In fact, I'd say they have one of the best atmosphere's of any place I've trained. You feel like you're part of a team after training there for just a short time. Doug Cota ( the head instructor) was trained in Thailand in Muay Thai. He holds a purple belt in BJJ from Kyoto JJ ( monsur family), and is very well versed in takedowns, clinching, and takedown defense.
    The dojo is a little small but they make it work somehow. I would recommend Evolution Combat Club to anyone looking for good all around MMA training.

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 2:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have they any active fighters in MMA kickboxing or submission grappling?

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 2:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you don't train weapons, your weapons training should not be a 1.
    It should be 0.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 3:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps their weapons training is very poor

Posted On:
    7/25/2008 6:22am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is no weapons training, or wasn't any when I trained there, sorry that should be a zero.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast