Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 1:26pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    These are the two standard papers regarding specificity of balance training and the relationship of static to dynamic balance exercises, if you're truly interested:

Drowatzky, JN and Zuccato, FC. Interrelationships between selected measures of static and dynamic balance. Res. Q. 38:(3) 509-510. 1966.

Tsigilis, N, et al.. Evaluation of the specificity of selected dynamic balance tests. Percept Mot Skills. 92(3 Pt 1):827-33. 2001.

It's fine to argue from anecdote, but data are much better.

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 1:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Surely the more important question is why do you think you need to train 'balance' for BJJ?

There are two main areas I can see 'balance' being necessary in BJJ - the stand up phase of a contest and back surfing(?) like so
    http://www.break.com/usercontent/200...-Pwnage-517207
    http://www.break.com/usercontent/200...-Pwnage-517207

If you want to improve 'balance'/ base for stand up grappling - do lots of stand up grappling.

If you want to balance and 'back surf' people, well probably not worth worrying about until you're super leet. Better concentrating on fundmanetal skills.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 1:53pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    These are the two standard papers regarding specificity of balance training and the relationship of static to dynamic balance exercises, if you're truly interested:

Drowatzky, JN and Zuccato, FC. Interrelationships between selected measures of static and dynamic balance. Res. Q. 38:(3) 509-510. 1966.

Tsigilis, N, et al.. Evaluation of the specificity of selected dynamic balance tests. Percept Mot Skills. 92(3 Pt 1):827-33. 2001.

It's fine to argue from anecdote, but data are much better.
    **** yer fancy book learnin'!

My point was more along the lines of there is a lot of crossover in very similar activities. IE surfing, skate boarding, snow boarding, wake boarding. See the boarding trend?

The event specific research is great and all but they always seem to use the worst possible sample exercise.

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 2:00pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    **** yer fancy book learnin'!

My point was more along the lines of there is a lot of crossover in very similar activities. IE surfing, skate boarding, snow boarding, wake boarding. See the boarding trend?

The event specific research is great and all but they always seem to use the worst possible sample exercise.
    Perhaps we're arguing around each other. I agree with your point -- it goes to specificity. They are closely related activities. Balance and other skills are more like to will transfer from one board sport to another than time spent on a BOSU ball, and none of them are terribly likely to transfer to Judo or BJJ all that much.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 2:57pm

Style: BJJ Beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why isnt it notifying by email when I get new posts or for that matter why hasn't my name change gone through?

Anyway on topic: I guess I have to be more specific but thats really the point, is'nt it, to get something tailored.

When I said balance I meant my body balance, I do feel that I am top heavy, I would like to correct that, which would then effect my overall balance. I am fairly stocky anyway 5'10 84 kg.

I used to train weights about ten years ago for one year solid and and about 2 years after on and off. I'm 30 years old by the way.

Nothing else since then besides being a fairly active person.

Keeping in mind my comments about my work situation, and my dedication at this point. My first goal is core strength, my second goal would be strength overall but not at the expense of endurance.

I'm sure you guys have grappled with someone and it feels like your grappling with an iron bar. One of my brother friends was an ex olympic wrestler. When he grabbed you it was like he was grabbing bone and he was impossible to move, It took two of the biggest/strongest guys in the group to pick him up and throw him in a pool. That's the kind of strength I want to develop.

And there is a far off goal to compete MMA but right now its BJJ/Wrestling and adding Muay Thai next year.

Competing will only be for my own sense of satisfaction, I dont have any lofty expectations.

But keep in mind that's the long view, right now I just want to start with some easy basics, that will be the foundation for later on. Slow and steady.

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 2:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Right but a balance activity that is dramatically more similar to BJJ might work. Like oh I don't know riding around on a balance ball like all the BJJ videos on Youtube?

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 3:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aus81 View Post
    I'm sure you guys have grappled with someone and it feels like your grappling with an iron bar. One of my brother friends was an ex olympic wrestler. When he grabbed you it was like he was grabbing bone and he was impossible to move, It took two of the biggest/strongest guys in the group to pick him up and throw him in a pool. That's the kind of strength I want to develop.
    That isn't from lifting weights. It is from practice. I sit at a desk all week and am mostly getting fatter/weaker. Yet I still have white belts tell me I have an iron grip and they can't escape once I grab their wrist or arm. Seriously I know it isn't the answer you want but nothing will make you better at BJJ more than more BJJ.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 3:20pm

Style: BJJ Beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I play drums and notice the more I play the stronger my grip gets naturally.I wasnt just his grip, he worked as a farmer, his muscles were incredibly hard. Moving him was like trying to move a mountain.

Someone mentioned the SAID principal going off that, my thought was:

I can only train every eight days for six days BJJ and Wrestling, I will be incredibly tired when I can weight train after each working day. What are the weight exercises that will be broad enough to train the most amount of muscles groups at one time and how should they be trained. Thats where I thought of deadlifts, squats and as someone mentioned overhead press.

Then on my six days home just train bjj/wrestling, let that naturally care of the rest of my conditioning which ties in to what you said above whiteshark 'Nothing will make you better at BJJ more than more BJJ.'

Just so its clear, I cannot train BJJ while I am away at work for 8 days, I will be working onsite and will just have access to a weights, hence my initial desire to do simple weights exercises that will increase my strength, and compliment BJJ/Wrestling but are also quick.

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 4:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would seriously consider trying to rope a co-worker into training. That way you can both get in roles while you are away and make up for the odd schedule.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 4:38pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    Perhaps we're arguing around each other. I agree with your point -- it goes to specificity. They are closely related activities. Balance and other skills are more like to will transfer from one board sport to another than time spent on a BOSU ball, and none of them are terribly likely to transfer to Judo or BJJ all that much.
    I don't chime in often, but this is a topic I can relate to. As an avid surfer who has surfed for more than the past couple of decades, pretty much daily (there are days when the surf is flat), I can say that my surfing helped me develop a good base much faster than my peer's that started BJJ at the same time as me. I felt fairly comfortable in my standup game rather quickly and my reaction and base were solid because of my surfing skills. It was the technique I really needed/need to learn. I honestly have no doubt about this. I can also safely say that BJJ has improved my surfing as well.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast