Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2011 8:10pm

Style: Enshin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

no time for Enshin should I train here? :(

My writing sucks so bare with me.

I have been doing Karate on and off for a bout 2 years. Started out in enshin and fell in love with anything full contact. My job back then was to move furniture all over Colorado so there would be days that I couldnt train or was just too fucked up from moving couches all day to go. after about 6 months I got fed up with only training twice a week and quit going. then a few months passed I found a better job and started Kyokushin where I stuck around another few months. To be honest I found it kinda fun moving from one style to another because I got to do traditional kata. I know a lot of people here hate kata and think its a waste of time but I actually feel like I got a little more out of my karate because of it. I got my 10th kyu and just before reaching my 9th I dropped out due to lack of money. even more time went by and I got a new job. the hours were manageable so I got to go back to enshin. Now Im engaged, moved, and been promoted to manager at my job which means I have no time at all to do martial arts. Im getting pudgy and miss not having stuff to kick.

heres the thing, a few blocks from where I live theres a dance studio that teaches capoeira, tai chi, and cardio kick boxing. They have classes pretty much every day and dont require membership. I thought about capoeira but decided not to go for it since they teach it as a dance not a martial art, so no sparring, no pads just dancing. Tai chi is kinda cool but once again its being taught as a alternative to yoga so, no awesome throws or even sticky hands.

well its all narrowed down to cardio kickboxing. Except its not cardio kickboxing anymore, I called today and they told me the program was now called "inner fire fight club" the dude on the phone didnt say a whole lot, but from what I got from the conversation was that it was gonna have a lot of punching dummies and using sticks and I think he mentioned something about sparring in the future. I asked the guy about who was gonna teach that class and he said it was the same guy that teaches tai chi. I asked about his background and he told me he had a long history with martial arts and kung fu, he sounded like he was in a hurry so I cut the conversation short. I dont know this all sounds kinda odd but I guess its better then getting fat. what do you guys think, should I even bother with this?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2011 8:24pm

Style: MMA + Harmonica

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From those three? Go with the capoeira.

Get fit by dancing like a crazy person and impress chicks.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/06/2011 8:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is this school really your only option? Because if you want to train on the cheap and actually learn to fight, you're better off finding a judo school or a boxing gym. That will be a better use of your time and money even if you have to travel a bit farther to get there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2011 8:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    looked for a boxing gym, they either dont exist or dont have any websites. the few I found never got back to me. at this point I just want to stay in shape

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2011 8:44pm

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing, Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there a link for this school? You didnt give a whole lot of information. While reading your post, it felt like a like was missing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2011 8:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by izdemon View Post
    Is there a link for this school? You didnt give a whole lot of information. While reading your post, it felt like a like was missing.
    the studio has a website but since this inner fire stuff is new they dont have anything on it

http://www.denvermovementstudio.com/...o_Classes.html

Posted On:
    1/06/2011 8:55pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by henshinx View Post
    looked for a boxing gym, they either dont exist or dont have any websites. the few I found never got back to me. at this point I just want to stay in shape
    If you're primarily interested in getting fit, try the capoeira. Yeah, you won't be sparring, but of the three options, that's the one you'll get the best workout in. I've been doing it for about two years now, and I still feel it the next day.

Posted On:
    1/06/2011 10:03pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you were a mover you must be pretty strong. Judo would be perfect, I would think. Imagine your opponent as a piano.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    1/06/2011 10:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm in a similar situation: Limited time and no legit place to train (No boxing gym, YMCA doesn't teach Judo).

You have to ask yourself if you're ever going to go back to serious training, or if this is a long term depature. If it's the latter, it sounds like this place can get you a good workout. If it's the former, you have to consider how training in a quasi-martial art can really **** up your reflexes and teach you some bad habits you'll have to unlearn.

I still entertain the notion of getting back into training, so while I'm here, all I've been doing is lifting and building up my maximal strength. It keeps me in shape, it's fun, and after I built the gym in my garage, I don't have to pay any money or work around anyone else's schedule to get in shape.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2011 12:07am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing, Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd go for the Tribal Belly Dancing.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast