Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/07/2011 10:27pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's an interesting thread aggregating information on Georgian wrestling here; http://judoforum.com/index.php?/topi...tuli-chidaoba/

The belt grips are not that easy to get against someone how knows what they're doing standing. Sadly, most BJJ guys aren't too savvy gripping.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2011 5:50pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so, do you think training with gi's might take away some aspects from more realistic street fighting? if u got dependent on grabbing collars, lapels, and sleeves does that effectively translate? what if hes just wearing a t shirt? wouldnt it rip or just stretch? hindering your technique? where as no gi u can only use grabbing limbs and the neck?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2011 6:18pm

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kouch View Post
    so, do you think training with gi's might take away some aspects from more realistic street fighting? if u got dependent on grabbing collars, lapels, and sleeves does that effectively translate? what if hes just wearing a t shirt? wouldnt it rip or just stretch? hindering your technique? where as no gi u can only use grabbing limbs and the neck?
    That is why we train both....simple as that.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    7/09/2011 6:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Python View Post
    ^^^ This^^^

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    7/09/2011 11:43pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My gi's name is 'Fred'.

Me and Fred have had lots of good times together. We go to the park. We share funnel cake. He keeps me feeling warm and I keep him from feeling empty.

Recently though, he has started to choke me. Sometimes it is one collar. Sometime it is both collars. Sometimes it is the tail of the collar sneaking up and wrapping around my throat.

I'm not as fond of Fred anymore. I think I'm going no gi from here on out.

Don't tell Fred.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2011 1:10am

Style: BJJ and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The argument can be made in either direction which one is better for TEH STR33TZ, IMO NOGI probably is more realistic, but heres my whole take on street Jiu Jitsu; learning the basics (16 week fundamentals course) provides you with all the technique youre going to need for a one on one fight with an untrained person. Everything after that is sport jiu jitsu. Mat time makes you a better fighter in the gym and in the bar, but noone is going to throw technical BJJ at you in a street fight thats gonna make you bust out de la riva... unless you live in southern california and are hanging out in Pacific Beach, in that case you best be a purple belt before you think of hitting on that little guy's girlfriend.

just my opinion though based on what Ive gotten away with using in bar fights. Im sure you guys have your own on the subject.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2011 5:15am

Style: Judo (noob) & BJJ (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Python View Post
    This is obviously right.

Also, to Kouch who asked about the T-shirt ripping, it gives an opportunity to post this wonderful video:

As you can see, the t-shirt held on just fine, which is more than can be said for the guy wearing it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2011 10:48am

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gidi View Post
    This is obviously right.

Also, to Kouch who asked about the T-shirt ripping, it gives an opportunity to post this wonderful video:

As you can see, the t-shirt held on just fine, which is more than can be said for the guy wearing it.

They kept showing Tomoe Nage on the screen but it looked like a Seoi Nage instead.

Posted On:
    7/11/2011 10:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was a drop seoi, I have no idea what the Tomoe nage clip from human weapon is doing in there.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    7/11/2011 11:44am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CheeksWWAC View Post
    The argument can be made in either direction which one is better for TEH STR33TZ, IMO NOGI probably is more realistic, but heres my whole take on street Jiu Jitsu; learning the basics (16 week fundamentals course) provides you with all the technique youre going to need for a one on one fight with an untrained person. Everything after that is sport jiu jitsu. Mat time makes you a better fighter in the gym and in the bar, but noone is going to throw technical BJJ at you in a street fight thats gonna make you bust out de la riva... unless you live in southern california and are hanging out in Pacific Beach, in that case you best be a purple belt before you think of hitting on that little guy's girlfriend.

just my opinion though based on what Ive gotten away with using in bar fights. Im sure you guys have your own on the subject.
    I've never fought a guy wearing a rashguard and shorts outside a competition. If I got in more fights around beaches this might be different. I have fought guys wearing shirts, jackets, and long pants. If you are doing JJ or Judo for self-defense you have to train with the gi there is no two ways about it. Can you still be good training only no-gi for d streets? Yes but that is truly half-assing it.
    Just an FYI If you guys decide to fight me in the streets PLEASE wear a hoodie! I LOVE fighting guys with hoodies. Its like a gift from god.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast