Posted On:
    7/08/2011 4:58pm

Style: Stabbing the Face.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    What do the turks say?
    'Women for babies, boys for love'
    Not Turks, the Turks are actually pretty heterosexual relative to their Arab and Indo-Iranic cousins. Your saying is a Pashtun saying.

Posted On:
    7/08/2011 5:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cumberland Wrestling.

so I've previously read in "Quartered Safe Out Here" auto-bio of George McDonald Fraser.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    7/08/2011 6:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Turkish wrestling - are the leather pants a recent innovation for the purposes of modesty, btw?

Zulu stickfighting - I'd never actually looked it up before, but for some reason, I'd pictured it as involving thick, knobbly club-type sticks...
    Last edited by Larus marinus; 7/08/2011 6:29pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2011 6:32pm

Style: Stabbing the Face.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The leather pants are apparently a traditional thing. They'd be wearing Eastern European style nylon track pants if they were a modern thing.

Posted On:
    7/08/2011 6:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post
    Zulu stickfighting - I'd never actually looked it up before, but for some reason, I'd pictured it as involving thick, knobbly club-type sticks...
    It does involve Knobkerrie, at least the type I did. You have a knobkerrie and in the non-knobkerrie hand a long stick with a little buckler style shield.

You use the combo of the buckler style shield and long stick to parry blows and for general defence and use the knobkerrie for whacking people.

When I did it the knobkerrie had, had the solid wooden end replaced with a gaffa taped lump of padding.

This is actually a photo of the people fighting in the hut at Lesedi where I had my stick fight

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    7/08/2011 6:45pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep, that's more like the picture I had in my head. I'd guessed that the iconic Zulu shield might be involved.

So, who wants to tell me about Croatian jailhouse fist?

Posted On:
    7/08/2011 6:51pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep, that's more like the picture I had in my head. I'd guessed that the iconic Zulu shield might be involved.
    Its nowhere as big as the traditional Zulu shield its about a foot from tip to tip and when I did it had about 2 inches of very modern, very western foam on the back which the grip was built into, to protect your hand from blows from the knobkerrie.

Here's a video of someone else at Lesedi doing some stickfighting. Although mine was a bit more serious on both sides than this, we still weren't really going for each other.

Posted On:
    7/08/2011 7:00pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    I saw a documentary on the telly involving a tribe in Africa whose variouse clans met up once a year to settle thier differances.
    They used long thin sticks 6' long(maybe more) with a little bell end carved into the tip
    The technique looked quite straight forward... they just wacked at each other till one or other gave up. Proper two handed belts.
    They wore armour made from leather and wood and cloth padding. Even though, some of the injuries were very nasty
    I know in Ethiopia they have long sticks and fully on go for it, lots of nasty injuries, cracked skulls etc... as a result.

One of the most brutal African combat sports is Dambe, Nigerian boxing. Where they have one fist covered in very tightly knotted cords which cause horrible cuts and wounds on their opponents. I have heard that there are allegedly some bouts where they do the whole dipping the 'gloved' hand in glue and glass, but I'm not sure they really exist.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    7/08/2011 7:07pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    One of the most brutal African combat sports is Dambe, Nigerian boxing. Where they have one fist covered in very tightly knotted cords which cause horrible cuts and wounds on their opponents. I have heard that there are allegedly some bouts where they do the whole dipping the 'gloved' hand in glue and glass, but I'm not sure they really exist.
    Sport *and* deadly? Or a deadly sport? Doesn't that violate some fundamental law of the universe?

Posted On:
    7/08/2011 7:14pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sport *and* deadly? Or a deadly sport? Doesn't that violate some fundamental law of the universe?
    Lol, if you're Hausa, living in your homeland, you basically have no access to healthcare and or modern health and safety.

So then I can definitely believe teh sport= teh deadly.

Like the time I had a cyst burst on my shin bone from dodgy ashiwaza and got infected, fever, felt terrible etc... If it wasn't for modern antibiotics and anti-inflammatories I would probably be dead from blood poisoning.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast