Thread: Introduction

Style
    Historical Fencing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Introduction

I've decided to finally look into returning to some kind of martial arts training. My experience is many years ago, so I'll just pretend I've not had any. I'm 45 years old, and to save time, I'll list the joints that don't hurt when the weather changes: Between a few of my thoracic vertebrae and some of the joints in my toes.

I live in Rockport, Texas. My head is stuffed full of academic nonsense, so I'm a slow learner.

My previous study has included jujutsu (longest back in the past), fencing, and historical WMA. This has all been over a decade ago. Recent emotional and social asskickings (that I grandly earned) have led me to remember that, way back when I was studying a martial art, I was much easier to live with.

Currently, I am interested in escrima, cudgeling, la canne, etc. Why those? I just like sticks and swords, and from time to time I'll play at a moulinet or two if I find a fairly straight branch when clearing the yard.

Thank you.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Coast Boy,
    Welcome to the forum and hope to learn a lot from your experience.
    I will try to be active to learn more from you.

Style
    Historical Fencing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't try to learn from me, except as an object lesson.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey there Coast Boy. Glad to read your post. I am 44 and recently decided to join BJJ and found out most of these guys training with me are as young as my oldest son and very strong. I love it. Have you ever considered taking JiuJitsu again?

Style
    Kali
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Zenoniuq,

How did you find starting BJJ in your 40's, I am 41 and considering BJJ currently in addition to the Kali I already train in.

Style
    Aikido / FMA / Krotty
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome.

And good start btw.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pharabus. It was intimidating the first day. Knowing that our bodies are not 20 something or even 30 something I would have been happy with. After I got thrown around, armbarred and choked a few times....I learned humility right away. then I was able to see that as they are kicking your ass they are working with you to overcome the weaknesses. If you show improvement they will continue to help. If you persevere and fight through all the discomforts they show you respect. You still get your ass kicked but eventually you will improve. With all that said it is a mindset. I go into it not seeing age or weakness...I see myself strong and do not give up. I hope this helps.

Style
    Kali
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi, yeah that's kinda what I expected, I have a camp next week where we have a demo from the guy who I am hoping to train with, I have literaly no experience in a ground based MA so really looking forward to the challenge