My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 11:46am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Totemicist View Post
    I am saying that Islam does not pose a meaningful threat to western societies and that most Muslims are no more a threat than most Christians.

Why do you think that this is a hard position to defend?
    In my lifetime (36) I've witnessed more Islamic terrorism than I have Christan. This is not saying there are no Christian terrorist just that Muslims have it down pat.

All terrorism is a crime and should be punished as such and if you look at the numbers Islamic terrorism is by a large factor one of the least prevalent in Europe (I linked you to evidence of this earlier but will now post the article).
    I read the article the first time. My point is that Terrorism is just one of the problems people have with Islam not the only one.

If you want me to condemn societies or cultures that mandate cruelty I will do so happily but it is not only muslim dominated societies that do this.
    Never said it was just the muslim ones. It seems your whole side is, "Hey we're not the only ones!"

I will not and condemn individuals in a group or groups for something that I have no knowledge of them having done or supported.
    Nor has anyone asked you to.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 11:48am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    who is your Salacious Crumb?
    He's not around anymore. I needed a snack.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

-Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 11:53am

Style: Stabbing the Face.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Religion doesn't mix well with (sane) human society, especially Abrahamic faiths, which all have a very strong legal component.

[/thread]

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 11:55am

Style: BJJ & K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    Never said it was just the muslim ones. It seems your whole side is, "Hey we're not the only ones!"
    No my argument is just that in talking about Muslims and Islam in the way many posters on this thread have creates/perpetuates an us and them which is actually counter productive in addressing real issues/crimes.

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 12:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Totemicist View Post
    No my argument is just that in talking about Muslims and Islam in the way many posters on this thread have creates/perpetuates an us and them which is actually counter productive in addressing real issues/crimes.
    There is always going to be a "us vs them" dynamic. We not all one people we're differently socially and ideologically. Whats counter productive is not addressing those differences and why they set up that dynamic.
    ______

RIP SOLDIER

-Gene, GODHAND

-Daniel Tosh

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 12:06pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am an atheist. I used to be a devote Christian, and Buddhist. I used to belong to a religious cult which soured me on holding firmly to religious beliefs.
    There are all kinds of juicy stories there. Please tell us more. I'm being completely serious. I have GOT to hear the dirt.

First, how did you become both Christian and Buddhist simultaneously? Are they not mutually exclusive. Or were you Christian and then Buddhist?

And you know we want to hear about the cult!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 12:11pm

Style: BJJ & K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is always going to be a "us vs them" dynamic. We not all one people we're differently socially and ideologically. Whats counter productive is not addressing those differences and why they set up that dynamic.
    I would agree with you but us and them is learned and defining yourself as being outside of a group and then trying to enforce a behaviour change is less easy than without making that definition and wins you less allies than if you focus is on the actual problems.

Don't take my word for I am happy to back this up with studies however I now have to spend 2 hours being punched and kicked.

Nice to have a non "lolfaggotpenor" discussion on the internets though!

:)

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 12:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my lifetime (36) I've witnessed more Islamic terrorism than I have Christan. This is not saying there are no Christian terrorist just that Muslims have it down pat.
    The numbers indicate otherwise.

You may have seen more of the one, but that doesn't make it more prevalent across the board. Do you disagree w/ the charts above?

People may well have problems w/ Islam, beyond terrorism, but that doesn't mean everything can be hung on them, when it's clearly not the case.

Christian bigotry, and violence are well documented over the years. After the magna carta, and w/ other subsequent evolutions in democracy, people appointed by god in western countries, had a harder time w/ the outright brutality, compared to earlier in history.

Political protections/frameworks evolved Christianity out of burning-at-the-stake, torture, inquisition, forced assimilation after colonizing, invasions, empire, violence in schools, and other horrors....still today, in spite of Christian actions changing somewhat.
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4615171
    Human-rights advocates are demanding an apology from the Catholic Church for its alleged role in the 1994 Rwandan genocide, arguing the church did not do enough to stop the killings.
    Now, an international court is trying several Catholic priests for their alleged role in the massacres, in which Hutus murdered 800,000 minority Tutsis and moderate Hutus.
    The Archbishop of Kigali declined to be interviewed but in a written response to questions by NPR he says the church didn't have the power to stop the killings. He adds flatly that no Rwandan clergy were involved in the genocide
    Prosecutors say at least 2,000 people were killed at the Nyange Church in western Rwanda when the parish priest ordered the church to be bulldozed on top of Tutsi refugees. Graves of some of the victims are next to ruins of the church.
    Religion's enabling of violence is sickening. The radio stations in Rwanda, were used in particular, to froth up the populace. All religion has blood on it's hands. Especially Christianity, at this point.

Blaming gheys for the breakdown of American industry, makes as much sense as saying Muslims are most of the terrorists in action (none). World geopolitical and statistical realities don't reflect that.

Extremism is the enemy, not Muslims, Christians, Buddhists, Athists, Hindus or whathaveyou.

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 12:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil View Post
    There are all kinds of juicy stories there. Please tell us more. I'm being completely serious. I have GOT to hear the dirt.

First, how did you become both Christian and Buddhist simultaneously? Are they not mutually exclusive. Or were you Christian and then Buddhist?

And you know we want to hear about the cult!
    I was Christian first and joined the cult. After leaving the cult I turned to Buddhism. Gradually I just said to hell with all of it.

I've written about my experience in the cult before on here. There is a really good thread on it that either here on on Sociocide. It wasn't a good time for me and it almost made me drop out of school.

EDIT: Here is the thread
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/arch...p/t-90436.html
    ______

RIP SOLDIER

-Gene, GODHAND

-Daniel Tosh

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 12:32pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The us vs them approach can't be thrown out until BOTH sides do it. You won't get far telling people that they are the same as you and trying to welcome them into your society when the very invitation is a grave insult.