Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2004 10:07pm

Style: Earth DragonMMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pennsylvania: where art thou???

I went to Bayone N.J. for the NAGA championships.....sort of a RECON....over 1000 competitors.....the levels of competition, sportsmanship and organization were FUCKING AMAZING.

They had it nailed. It was running as smooth as silk.

I only hope that our tournament in May can run 1/2 as well.
    The quality of officiating was spectacular.

BUT HERE'S A PROBLEM......THERE WERE 2 GUYS FROM THE GODAMM COMMONWEALTH OF PENNSYLVANIA.

They were from the Hatfield BJJ school.
    There were guys rolling from Venezuala Spain. Montreal, Maine.....why wern't there guys there from PA????

We gotta get busy guys. My daughters could have held their own in the beginners. I know some of you guys guys could have done OK...or better, with a little "seasoning"......THE ONLY WAY TO LEARN IS TO ROLL WITH GOOD PEOPLE.

I'm pumped up. I would love to be able to field a PA team by this time next year.

The most impressive to me???
    The females.
    Little girls (59 lbs. ) submitting boys. Even teenage girls subbing boys.
    The Women were tough. Very slick and technical.

There were many impressive grapplers. I saw some young guys that will be downright sccarey in a few years.

This is the Martial art of the 21st century. MMA are going to cause the whole concept to evolve into something very different than the McDojo-Karrody **** the marketeers are trying to force down the publics throat.

One thing I noticed was the difference in the weight classes. The bigger they got, the less technical it became. The big boys bulled each other around. The Light Heavyweights and middleweights were my favorites. They were hard and tough, but moved real sweetly. Lots of good technique.

BUT I DIGRESS.........
    Come-on you Pennsylvania maniacs. I know you got the heart
    the skills are either there , or we will provide them.

We got a throwdown on 10 April. If you don't want to throw down, come to talk, and plot a course for PA MMA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2004 10:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    EEK

There were some guys there from Philadelphia, but where I live, we think that Filthydelphia is a 3rd world country, so I actually overlooked the fact that they were there. SO THE REST OF PENNSY...(and there really is a Pennsylvania outside of Pilly, Pittsburg and Harrisburg)......comeon and get busy....

I'm gonna be a pain in everyones ass till we get this on track.

Professor of Chaos

Posted On:
    3/21/2004 2:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heya Mutt,

I'm thinking that at my current training schedule, I should be in shape to do some tournaments by next year. In the meantime, I can roll with folks that are preparing and work some corners. I'm interested, though, and will look forward to talking with you more about it at the Throwdown (as well as rolling and throwing back some lagers). Let me know how things go when Brad comes to visit.

MMA Instructor

Posted On:
    3/21/2004 3:33pm

Style: Earth Dragon

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yo Ed! Just got a call from Jason. He took 3rd in the Blue Belt Divison at NAGA. He didn't have time to give me any details but it sounds like he didn't do too shabby. He also says he will be at the Workshop on April 3rd. (Note: Jason is a black belt student of mine who moved back to Philly last year and started studying BJJ at Brazilian United. We're quite proud of the fact that he seems to be kicking ass and moving up the ranks rather quickly...)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2004 3:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wha tha fuk????

I didn't see his sorry ass???!!!
    Fuckin A If I WOULDA KNOWN HE WAS THERE I WOULD HAVE BEEN IN HIS CORNER!!!!!

BUT
    There were over 1000 competitors there....
    What a day!

I have confidence in USA martial arts when I SEE **** LIKE NAGA

Jason .....good work and we are proud of you 110%

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2004 11:54am

Style: karate,jujitsu,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yo ed, we doina seminar on sat 14th august or sun 15th august (or both, yeah, yeah)
    got mark gerrard comin over (karate, jujitsu and sword). and he's keen to get on the mat.
    we won 14 medals at the tourney yesterday, so you guys had better be ready for june...huh!

away from the sport thing we'll be lookin at some real techniques too, soft punch, wrist applications, aiki principals in jitsu.. you gonna be my uki big guy, or is that hip gonna be a bitch

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2004 11:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This hip will be on the injured reserve, as I expect to schedule the sergury for Early May.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2004 10:49pm

Style: Muay Thai/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Outside of Philadelphia, what other places in PA are there that have MMA schools? I live around Harrisburg and there ain't nothing around here. More specifically, I haven't found a BJJ school within 100 miles of Harrisburg which presents problems for anyone serious about MMA. I'm quite good with my standing skills and I'm a fairly accomplished wrestler, but BJJ is the weak part of my game. I went to a "kickboxing" school in Lancaster and it turned out to be a total flop. I sparred after hours with one of their "well established students". Make a long story short I threw a total of 3 jabs, 1 leg kick, and 1 cut off punch to the body, which the session was immediately stopped and I was told to "take it easy". What a waste of time and money. As of now, I choose to train my Muay Thai and Boxing in my basement.

Most of the serious MMA'ers who were near Harrisburg/Lancaster/York areas have migrated to Philadelphia, or to New York since that is where the opportunities are.

Professor of Chaos

Posted On:
    3/30/2004 8:20am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heya Jotlum,

Brad Souders helps run a very nice grappling group down in York, PA. John and I just visited there last night and had a great time -- we might make it a semi-regular visit. We also do some grappling on our own and I'm also training with ex-WWE wrestler Steve Blackman once a week on submissions. He teaches down at the Fitness Firm in downtown Harrisburg. If you have any specific questions, let me know or send me a PM.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2004 8:07pm

Style: Muay Thai/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, downtown Harrisburg? How could I have not heard about that. I guess I need to get out of my basement more often. : ) I just had surgery on my hand, again, so hopefully in a couple months I'll be ready to roll and start hitting the pads/bag again. Thanks for replying.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast