Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2011 5:06pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If people seek more information on the "flamingo-style" one-step hane-goshi it's found in Rougé's book on harai-goshi in the Masterclass series. It's on pp. 46-47.

Apparently Rougé threw Angelo Parisi with exactly that same variation. You know something works when Parisi concedes ippon from it.

Of interest : Rougé attributes the lack of hane-goshi from modern competitors to an overly defensive environment.

I'm not even going to attempt saying anything else : hane-goshi was, is, and will always be my most hated throw forever.
    Last edited by kikoolol; 7/31/2011 5:12pm at .

Posted On:
    7/31/2011 5:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Harai goshi is one of the few masterclass books I don't own. I went on a buying spree with a grant I was supposed to spend on course books, lol and bought about 8 masterclass books instead lol.

I think I'll add that to the collection.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2011 5:24pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a Steam summer sale backlog to pay off with my student grant.

I really dig Rougé's book, because it's not "do this move here", more like "here are a few grips, your hip settings, a bunch of stepping patterns and entries and do what suits you, oh and here's uki-goshi and hane-goshi as a bonus".

If you compare it to Sugai's book on Uchimata the difference is staggering.

Posted On:
    7/31/2011 5:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of my boys has competed at +100 national level in France and met both Rouge and Riner, he's done randori with Riner, but not Rouge, he reported he got owned by Riner, lol. He gave me some good tips with Harai goshi, but I've still never been able to turn it into one of my throws despite O soto gari being my tokuiwaza.

I generally dislike it when people say here are a bunch of options, because normally there's a way that works for 95% of people and a few ways that work for the remaining 5%. So giving people too many options can oftenlead to people being distracted from the 'correct' way of doing things for average people.

Although I guess it depends on what you expect from a masterclass book. If you expect a comprehensive survey of the technique or if you expect an in depth exploration of the players method of doing it or expect a in depth analysis of the basic technique.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    8/01/2011 10:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbon View Post
    I'll bite - could you explain this a bit more please? Don't think I've ever heard of the concept of leaning back on a hip throw before. I've been doing a lot of work on my harai goshi for the last 8 months or so (still with no results, waah) but actually spent a session last week working on leaning forwards to draw uke up after I've got my hip in the pocket - I perpetually "over hip" into a more o goshi style position so my coach has been working on really breaking down the first steps. I can't actually work out which direction you mean by backwards tbh.
    Bending the back, so to speak, is not so critical in Harai Goshi, but you can incorporate it into the throw.

It's not uncommon for people to put their body too far over in Harai goshi when first learning it, as most people learn O Goshi first, which has a generally deeper body placement than Harai Goshi.

Bending the back also depends on direction of throw, and which particular hip throw one is doing.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123