Thread: Hane Goshi
7/31/2011 5:06pm, #21
- Join Date
- Jan 2009
If people seek more information on the "flamingo-style" one-step hane-goshi it's found in Rougé's book on harai-goshi in the Masterclass series. It's on pp. 46-47.
Apparently Rougé threw Angelo Parisi with exactly that same variation. You know something works when Parisi concedes ippon from it.
Of interest : Rougé attributes the lack of hane-goshi from modern competitors to an overly defensive environment.
I'm not even going to attempt saying anything else : hane-goshi was, is, and will always be my most hated throw forever.
Last edited by kikoolol; 7/31/2011 5:12pm at .
7/31/2011 5:17pm, #22
7/31/2011 5:24pm, #23
- Join Date
- Jan 2009
I have a Steam summer sale backlog to pay off with my student grant.
I really dig Rougé's book, because it's not "do this move here", more like "here are a few grips, your hip settings, a bunch of stepping patterns and entries and do what suits you, oh and here's uki-goshi and hane-goshi as a bonus".
If you compare it to Sugai's book on Uchimata the difference is staggering.
7/31/2011 5:33pm, #24
One of my boys has competed at +100 national level in France and met both Rouge and Riner, he's done randori with Riner, but not Rouge, he reported he got owned by Riner, lol. He gave me some good tips with Harai goshi, but I've still never been able to turn it into one of my throws despite O soto gari being my tokuiwaza.
I generally dislike it when people say here are a bunch of options, because normally there's a way that works for 95% of people and a few ways that work for the remaining 5%. So giving people too many options can oftenlead to people being distracted from the 'correct' way of doing things for average people.
Although I guess it depends on what you expect from a masterclass book. If you expect a comprehensive survey of the technique or if you expect an in depth exploration of the players method of doing it or expect a in depth analysis of the basic technique.
8/01/2011 10:37pm, #25
It's not uncommon for people to put their body too far over in Harai goshi when first learning it, as most people learn O Goshi first, which has a generally deeper body placement than Harai Goshi.
Bending the back also depends on direction of throw, and which particular hip throw one is doing.
BenFalling for Judo since 1980
"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS