Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/21/2011 3:33am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I get in the shower,put soap on a washcloth,wash my face then let the spray rinse the soap off. Wash my body, get out, put on body oil, rub in, dry off, put on lotion, put on undies, then brush my teeth, then I get dressed for the day. Then I do my hair (depending on how its styled), and go about my day!

Posted On:
    7/21/2011 12:58pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MuayThai, BJJ, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Soap and water within 1hr of training. Clean Gi, handwraps & Rashguard everytime. Boxing gloves and shin guards get disinfected every month.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 3:58pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wash my gi after every sesion and take a shower as soon as I get home. I was using antibacterial soap but I ran out and started using regular soap.

But then again I just got a staph infection 2 weeks ago. So now I'll be using Defense wipes after practice, defense soap at home, washing my gi after every use and washing my gym bag as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2011 6:03pm

Style: Bjj, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I shower after training and wash my gi/ rashgaurd almost immediatly. After Muay Thai I always wipe down my gloves and shin gaurds with lysol wipes. I do agree with Azsui though if you wash too frequntly you open yourself up to a reduced defense. I havn't been sick in over 12 years, and I don't get flu shots. I don't brush my mouth gaurd although now Im considering it. But I always put it in a container and soak it in listerine. (tastes better when I put it in next training session as a plus)

I had to ask my wife about the tea tree oil, I'd heard about it before just wasn't sure. She's a certified massage therapist and I remembered she had to do a bunch of pathology classes for her diploma. She says its a great antiseptic but you might want to dilute it a bit for using it in the shower. Ok and your gonna laugh Im sure but we have a farm down a little ways from us that specializes in goats milk soap. Im sure some will laugh but they are all natural and we like to support our local bussinesses.

http://www.jennessfarm.com/Latest/wh...arm-soaps.html
    Last edited by downtime; 8/07/2011 6:04pm at . Reason: figured I'd paste link.

One of Seattle's Bravest

Posted On:
    8/08/2011 6:58pm

Style: Cambo/jujutsu/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I clean all cuts after practice and cover them until they are mended at practice.

I use Super-glue to close open cuts

I take a shower after practice and wear clean practice clothes.

We use a 10% bleach solution on our mats and do not allow street shoes of any kind. SAMBOfki are fine, as are bare feet.

The key is clean the mats all the time, fancy stuff is fine, but good old fashioned bleach at 10% will do the trick.

Aaron Fields
    Seattle Jujutsu and SAMBO club
    www.seattle-jujutsu.org

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2011 7:56am

Style: Aikido, bits of jits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the aikido dojo everyone is expected to be look after their own hygiene. The mats and surrounding area get a full wipe down every training session (even if another class is starting immediately afterwards).
    In the gendai budo club all head gear, etc. is wiped down after every use, but the mats don't get as much TLC as they have to be packed away every session.
    I'm surprised whenever anyone would consider using hand wraps more than once without washing them. If I'm doining anything that requires wraps all my gear will be saturated in sweat at the end.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2011 8:31pm

Style: Boxing and No Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I usually wipe away the sweat from both my face and back, change shirts than spray on a fresh layer of deodrant after each class.

I always have clean wraps, a clean towel and a clean shirt in my gym bag.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2011 10:44pm

Style: Aikido, Kajukembo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrh80 View Post
    liquid bandages are awesome, but hard to get in Oz. I am also a big fan of tea tree oil soap, I have not had any skin issues since making the switch.
    I heard tea tree oil products were only for women though. Unless you are a guy who doesn't mind growing boobs. Same thing with too much soy in your diet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2011 11:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Auszi View Post
    I was told a long time ago by my doctor, I was getting eczema on my hands, and he told me not to use soap and went further on to explain that soaps and washes strip the protective layer of oil off your body and actually increase the risk of skin problems and gives a foothold to the odour producing bacteria, not to mention drying your skin out.

I havent used soap or any kind of wash for 15 years unless i'm covered with say grease or dirt. Never had a problem with a smell. I even stopped using deodorant for while, which works as long as your diet is fairly healthy and doesnt vary too much.

I use moisturiser when required.

I read somewhere recently, I should track this down, that we generally shower too much and that also effects our skin negatively, I think it should be under 7 a week.

That said, I always shower after a workout, but always no soap.
    I use Ivory soap, only because it is recommended as the best to wash off residual chemical agents we use on the line. I only wear deodorant when going to train. Even when I am working 16hrs on the yard in 110+dgree weather in full gear, I don't use it, and don't need to. I think the key is drinking plenty of water, and a good diet.

I shower a lot though. Every morning I basically rinse no soap just water. Before training depending on my daily activities I rinse again or use soap to wash off any dirt and grime and then apply a small amount of deodorant and the usual trimming of nails. After training I'll rinse off the sweat maybe a little of my wife's shampoo to cut any kind of grime I may have come in contact with. Lastly, before I go to bed I shower thoroughly with warm water and soap ending in a cool water rinse. Depending on a day's activities I may shower after yard work or something cause my wife has allergies or we are going out. It wouldn't be surprising if I was in the shower up to five or six times in one day.

We have a well and don't pay for water. If I lived in town, I would probably cut it to just three a day, and try to shower at the gym.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2011 11:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Auszi View Post
    In regards to my body type, I am sweater. Like a madman, I actually feel a bit awkward when people have to grapple with me, but thats why I am always careful about not stinking and being clean, but seriously never had an issue with not using soap.

As Taebo said, it probably depends on the individual but I have never had any issues with not using soap regarding my skin, and I would need a bit more information to go against the advice of my doctor and my own empirical evidence. If I am handling food, or have been in a hospital etc, I will use ant-bacterial washes on my hands but thats about as far as I will go.

I remember hearing a few years ago that Tea-tree oil in low doses, as found in soaps and washes, actually contributes to MRSA.

I did a quick search and found these links:

http://www.news-medical.net/news/2007/02/18/21941.aspx

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...ubmed_RVDocSum
    I am a heavy sweater also. That's why I use deodorant when training. I never have had a problem with odor, but out of respect for those I train with I dab a little on. I might go through a stick of gel deodorant in like a year and a half, maybe longer.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast