Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2011 4:01pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

UFC 134: Anderson Silva vs Yushin Okami

Yes, I know UFC 133 has yet to happen, but to me, UFC 134 is the more special event.

Silva is one of the greats. Not only is he UFC's longest reigning champion, his last defeat was more than 5 years ago. Care to know who gave him his last defeat?

Yushin Okami, yes the very same one who will be fighting Silva at UFC 134.

What is interesting to me is that Silva was defeated only because he got disqualified for delivering an illegal upkick that rendered Okami unable to continue.

Well, it's time for Silva to avenge that loss.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2011 4:07pm

Style: BacktoSanshou, nogiBJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    Yes, I know UFC 133 has yet to happen, but to me, UFC 134 is the more special event.

Silva is one of the greats. Not only is he UFC's longest reigning champion, his last defeat was more than 5 years ago. Care to know who gave him his last defeat?

Yushin Okami, yes the very same one who will be fighting Silva at UFC 134.

What is interesting to me is that Silva was defeated only because he got disqualified for delivering an illegal upkick that rendered Okami unable to continue.

Well, it's time for Silva to avenge that loss.
    His last defeat was actually I believe in 2004. That's what he said on Countdown to UFC 112. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2011 4:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's Anderson Silva's record:
    http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Anderson-Silva-1356

His last official loss was on January 20, 2006 to Yushin Okami -- but it was disqualification.

Before that, it was on December 31, 2004 to Ryo Chonan to submission.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/05/2011 4:45pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My hero, Anderson Silva, shall never lose.

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    7/05/2011 4:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Silva 'lost' by knocking him out, in a way that is condidered too crazy to be legal.

Sheeeit, I gotta learn how to lose like that.

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2011 5:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Silva 'lost' by knocking him out, in a way that is condidered too crazy to be legal.
    It doesn't seem fair, does it?

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    7/05/2011 5:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's an interesting fight because Okami is not in the habit of overexposing himself. He pretty much just jabs in striking and mixes in the right hand when he's connected, making him hard to counter, and he's very 'patient' in top position. It's possible to envision him doing jab-jab-clinch-takedown all the way to the belt.

Over three rounds I'd give him a decent (or at least better) shot. But over five... Silva will stall on the bottom, get a lot of stand-ups and find a moment to put him away. I think the other likely outcome is that Okami, unable to find a safe moment to attack, does nothing and eats low-volume novelty strikes all night.

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    7/05/2011 5:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    It doesn't seem fair, does it?
    Bring back Pride rules!!

Or at least remove the 'no kicks if his knees are on the ground' rule. Ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    It's an interesting fight because Okami is not in the habit of overexposing himself. He pretty much just jabs in striking and mixes in the right hand when he's connected, making him hard to counter, and he's very 'patient' in top position. It's possible to envision him doing jab-jab-clinch-takedown all the way to the belt.

Over three rounds I'd give him a decent (or at least better) shot. But over five... Silva will stall on the bottom, get a lot of stand-ups and find a moment to put him away. I think the other likely outcome is that Okami, unable to find a safe moment to attack, does nothing and eats low-volume novelty strikes all night.
    Pretty sure that Okami will (attempt) wrestle. He's been training with Team Quest (Sonnen, Lindland, Henderson) after all.
    Last edited by Tranquil Suit; 7/05/2011 5:17pm at .

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2011 6:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to give this fight to Okami. Partly because, I always enjoy seeing one less person from Brazil with a strap around their waste, and partly, because he started this whole Steven's deadly stuff thing. Sonnen has had good things to say about Okami after he trained with him which makes me think that we might just see something very surprising out of Okami in the match.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2011 7:39pm

Style: Issh"i"nryu fixed....

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If Okami wins it's going to be by poison. I like Okami, he's one of the few honorable men in mma. But he' just not that good. Franklin made him look like a fool, he only beat out Marq because he stalled more than Nate did, and he really has never been impressive.

I'm not trying to say he's a bum, he is a good fighter, he's going up against the best of the best, being good doesn't cut it. Forrest Griffin is good, better than Okami, look what it got him. You have to be great, at worst, just to lose to Silva with dignity. I expect an embarassing loss for Okami, whether it's like Maia's or Griffins is up to Silva and Silva alone.
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast