Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    7/08/2011 7:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    What we, Bullshido, should be doing, is looking into his "Self Defense" claims. SOCNET's the experts on the military stuff, let's do our job and dig into his potential bullshit goldmine on the martial arts front.
    Aside from stating that he's an 'ASFA Self Defense Instructor', is he even making any other martial arts claims? I've had a Google around this morning and didn't find anything.

The BBB have already put out a warning about the ASFA.

You can apply for the same thing that the Rock's got here by, answering 75 true-false/multiple choice questions:
    http://www.americansportandfitness.c...-certification

As a test, I just went through and clicked the first answer for everything. As the article I quoted earlier on in the thread mentioned, It said that I'd failed, took me back for another go and helpfully gave me clues as to the correct answer (or outright told me the correct answer).

I did find a few posts where he (well, it was probably him considering the usernames and/or content) was asking about 'roids. Nowt that interesting, but I can post links if you'd like to see them...

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    7/08/2011 8:35am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Most of us knew what you meant I'm thinking Himura didn't get the abbreviation. Yes, I know CMOH is proper, but I've seen it on forums as CMH when people are already talking about Military medals.
    Nah. What he was saying is that Congressional Medal of Honor is wrong. He's correct. It's just Medal of Honor. Or in It Is Fake speak - semantics.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    7/08/2011 9:08am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Yeah, he would have been fine just saying he was an Army NCO; which while not as great of an achievement as being a Ranger, is still something to be very proud of.

What a fucking toolbag.

What we, Bullshido, should be doing, is looking into his "Self Defense" claims. SOCNET's the experts on the military stuff, let's do our job and dig into his potential bullshit goldmine on the martial arts front.
    The SD angle was why I brought it to MABS. Now they are in damage control mode so getting anything out of him now is going to be tough.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    7/12/2011 1:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.kinston.com/news/press-75...em-common.html

If that's his real DD-214 - the guy actually got a Bronze Star for Valor and an Army Commendation Medal... and that wasn't enough for him? That's actually really, really sad.

(bolding mine)

Stolen valor is a common problem
    Experts say military awards, documents faked regularly

July 11, 2011 12:00 AM

Jane Moon
    Staff Writer
    In a story in the July 3 edition of The Free Press, Jeff “Rock” Harris falsely claimed awards and service in the military, including participating in the events in the movie and book “Black Hawk Down” as an Army Ranger.
    Several members of the Ranger community have since refuted Harris’ claims, including soldiers and the author of the book, Mark Bowden.
    Cases of people falsely claiming military achievements and awards is called stolen valor, and it happens on a regular basis, according to Doug Sterner.
    “The most frequent victims of stolen valor are media,” Sterner said. “I have cases like (Harris’) every week.”
    Sterner authored the Stolen Valor Act of 2005, which makes it illegal to fraudulently claim receipt of military awards and decoration. Sterner said Harris could be prosecuted under the act if authorities find enough evidence.
    President George W. Bush signed the Stolen Valor Act into law in 2006, though it has been contested by a federal judge.
    The act states “false claims to military awards punishable by up to six months in federal prison (are) distinguished service cross, silver star and purple heart.”
    In an extensive interview that lasted nearly an hour with a Free Press reporter for the July 3 article, Harris claimed all three.
    Sterner said anyone can request a Freedom of Information Act request for official military documents, but it takes several weeks for the Department of Defense to process and fulfill the request.
    He said he has seen thousands of fake or altered DD214 forms — official records of military service — and fake certificates. The Free Press has filed a request for Harris’ DD214.
    On Thursday, Harris’ lawyer, Josiah J. Corrigan of Kinston’s Perry, Perry & Perry law firm, emailed The Free Press what Corrigan said was Harris’ DD214 form. The form — which has not officially verified — showed that Michael Jeffery Harris served in the U.S. Army from Feb. 26, 1987 through March 12, 1992, leaving the Army as a corporal. The DD214 shows he received an honorable discharge and was separated from the service as part of an early transition program.
    The DD214 provided by Corrigan revealed Harris received several medals in his time of service, including a Bronze Star for Valor, an Army Commendation Medal and an Overseas Service Ribbon.
    However, that is a far cry from what Harris claimed in the July 3 article. He told a Free Press staff writer in a digitally-recorded interview he received three Purple Hearts, a Silver Star and two Bronze Stars for Valor among more than two dozen awards.
    Among his spectacular claims, he said he had 316 confirmed kills as an Army sniper; it’s believed by experts the record for confirmed kills by a sniper to be about 90.
    In the cover letter from Corrigan addressed to Free Press Managing Editor Bryan Hanks, it states “Mr. Harris retracts any and all claims he made to Ms. (Free Press staff writer Jane) Moon that are not recorded in his official military service record and reflected on his DD-214.”
    The statement concludes, “Mr. Harris apologizes to you and Ms. Moon for any embarrassment or difficulty that this unfortunate incident has caused.”
    Raleigh Cash, a former Army Ranger who fought in the events depicted in “Black Hawk Down,” said documentation of awards should always be checked, as anyone can purchase copies of many awards and diplomas online.
    “They’re novelty diplomas,” Cash said. “I can go online right now and get a diploma from the University of Michigan with a master’s degree in business administration. I can also go to some military sites and get (awards).”
    After seeing Free Press photos of what Harris claimed were his three Purple Hearts, Cash said they were “completely fake.” He said the actual awards are printed on parchment-type paper and Harris’ looked like they were printed on a computer.
    Michael Kurth, who served in Mogadishu with Cash and co-authored a book with him called “The Battle of Mogadishu,” said he has seen his fair share of “posers,” but has never seen one with such outrageous claims.
    “If you’re not familiar with the situation, you wouldn’t expect people to embellish that much and get away with it,” Kurth said. “(Stolen valor) happens quite a bit, actually.”
    Cash said military events that receive a lot of public attention are especially susceptible to people falsely claiming to have been there.
    “Unfortunately, (stolen valor) is going to continue,” Cash said. “Wait till the fake Navy SEALs(who killed Osama Bin Laden) start coming out. There, unfortunately, will be a very predictable onslaught of stuff as whether guys claim they were Rangers, SEALs or Delta guys.”

Free Press Managing Editor Bryan C. Hanks contributed to this report. Jane Moon can be reached at 252-559-1082 or jmoon@freeodmenc.com.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 7:29am

Style: freestyle (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wow

what a story

his ego has destroyed him

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 7:44am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post
    http://www.kinston.com/news/press-75...em-common.html

If that's his real DD-214 - the guy actually got a Bronze Star for Valor and an Army Commendation Medal... and that wasn't enough for him? That's actually really, really sad.

(bolding mine)
    ARCOMs are a dime a dozen I think I'm up to 5 now. Still a good award though. However a Bronze star prior to the War on Terror would have been a big deal. That alone should have been enough.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 1:22pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sad. That is impressive enough for us civilians. Sorry, most of what I learned about the significance and insignificance of military awards was on bullshido.

The average guy, looking at a gym from a marketing standpoint, would be bragging about training with a military guy with a Bronze Star and an ARCOM. If you don't believe me go cruise through the threads and read the responses of noobs and their "OMG my art is legit it has cops and military people."

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 1:39pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    ARCOMs are a dime a dozen I think I'm up to 5 now. Still a good award though. However a Bronze star prior to the War on Terror would have been a big deal. That alone should have been enough.
    Will have to agree with this. Typically, I've seen ARCOM's given out when you leave the military by your last duty station. I think I have one from when I ETS from the military. If you did really well but are just PCSing from your last duty station then you can find yourself with one. With the way the military is deploying now, not so hard to eventually come away with a few. Overseas Ribbon, yeah, have that one as well. You go overseas (i.e. Korea - especially if you were in plush Osan) then you get one.

Bronze star, haven't even heard of many people getting those until the war on terror. When I was in (2000 - end of 2003), I don't remember anyone having that particular award. Of course, this was during the beginning of the war on terror.

Anyone notice the dates of service. He probably participated in the Gulf War and is probably likely where he received the medal. If true, that, in of itself, is pretty bad ass and worthwhile in many people's eyes and more than enough. But again, when enough isn't enough...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2011 2:40am

Style: Grappling/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If he got a BS w/ V that would be easy to check on. Based on his previous lying I doubt he has that especially if he was a DS vet and not an Infintry/SF guy. Nowadays with all the non infantry person's seeing heavy combat, a claim like that would not be out of the realm of possibility, but back then, I doubt it. Of ocurse this is not to say is DS there were not incidents of valor, but the ground war was so short that I have a hard time believing he has a legit BS w V. If he lied once, then there are more skelotons in that particular closet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2011 8:36pm

Style: Bjj, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    I agree with Gezere. I have 3. And on my delpoyment Bronze stars (with out V's) were given to Platoon Sergeants (E-7's) as their thanks for comming awards. Really kind of made the medal lose some of it's charm with me. But if you read the regs for awarding it is meritorious achievement or service. Personally I think an ARCOM with V is more distinguished than a straight bronze star.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast