Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2011 3:32pm

Style: Fitness-Fu and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So the plot thickens.

Not in Mogadishu, did'nt earn the awards he claims, not even a Ranger........

Can we get a nomination for douche bag of the month????

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    7/07/2011 5:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Himura View Post
    If you ever see someone claiming to have a CMH then you may want to run a check on that because there is no such thing. Screwing up the name of the award is usually the first mistake someone who has never served would do.
    Pfft. Congressional Medal of Honor is common usage, even in the military. Yeah, it's technically wrong. Most people in the military learn about the Medal of Honor in boot camp and then never concern themselves with it again. I never met a Medal of Honor recipient. Not on the top of most people's list of **** to remember.

Nevertheless, it goes without saying - if anyone told me they were awarded one, I'd go verify it.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/07/2011 6:21pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil View Post
    Pfft. Congressional Medal of Honor is common usage, even in the military. Yeah, it's technically wrong. Most people in the military learn about the Medal of Honor in boot camp and then never concern themselves with it again. I never met a Medal of Honor recipient. Not on the top of most people's list of **** to remember.
    Most of us knew what you meant I'm thinking Himura didn't get the abbreviation. Yes, I know CMOH is proper, but I've seen it on forums as CMH when people are already talking about Military medals.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    7/07/2011 6:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This in from Bryan C. Hanks, the managing editor of the Kinston Free Press....

http://bhanks.encblogs.com/?p=5902

(bolding added for a bit of extra-special stupidity and hole-digging whilst in a hole)

It’s been a distressing, disappointing and enlightening few days at 2103 N. Queen St.
    Our Free Press Sunday Centerpiece was written about Jeff “Rock” Harris, an alleged military hero for whom the book and movie “Black Hawk Down” was based upon. I had been directed to Harris by a friend for whom I held (and still hold) the utmost respect.
    Long story short — Harris is a fraud of the most contemptible nature. Not only was he not the person “Black Hawk Down” was about, his claims to have received many distinguished awards from the U.S. government, sniper kill counts and, well, virtually EVERYTHING he told us were blatant lies.
    What made that part of it worse is that, when contacted after we were sure he was a fraud, he told our reporter that — on the record — to write it was all a lie, but that — off the record — he was “black ops” and that it was all actually true.
    Yeah, right.
    We were sucked into this lie and, for the most part, we — I’m including myself, my publisher/editor and the reporter — bought into this bulls**t, hook, line and sinker.
    I take special blame for this, because — although my service was limited and not heroic by any stretch — I am a veteran and should have known better.
    There’s no defense for us running the piece. I can tell you the reporter is only 22 and this was the biggest story she had worked on to that point in her young career; I can tell you that we wanted to run an inspirational piece on an American military hero on the Fourth of July weekend and WANTED to believe this d-bag’s story; I can tell you he produced several pieces of documentation that LOOKED real; and I can whine about severe understaffing at my paper right now … but none of those excuses (and about 20 more I could pull out of my ass) would suffice.
    Running that story hurt veterans who have served in combat and come back with wounds seen and unseen. Running that story hurt families who have had soldiers, Marines, sailors and airmen who were injured in combat.
    More than anything, us running that story brought dishonor to the valiant men who fought and died in Mogadishu.
    I have been sickened by this entire episode to the point of reconsidering even staying in this field. However, I have found the best thing to do is my best to make this entire situation right — to rectify it to the best of my ability.
    And we’re in the process of doing it now. Jane Moon — the writer of the original article — wrote a follow-up for today’s edition that tells the truth about Harris and his lies. I have been interviewed and quoted in a Fayetteville Observer story (which has been syndicated nationally) about Harris’ deceit. And Jane is continuing to work on the other angles of this story, including a piece on Doug Sterner’s Stolen Valor Act, which may help Harris see some much-needed prison time.
    An important lesson I’ve learned here is to ALWAYS make sure our sources are properly vetted, even if it means we’re not going to get a story finished in time for a certain publication.
    Another thing I’ve learned and started to admire is the brotherhood and love the Army Rangers have for each other. They are pissed about what we did and what this “poser” did — and they’re not going to let it die until justice is served, in one way or another.
    Thank you to the dozens of people — Rangers, military people (wives and husbands), readers, etc. — who have called, emailed and Facebooked during this episode. Even when I’ve been rightfully called an idiot and worse, I’ve taken a positive out of each conversation and exchange. I’ve truly appreciated the ones who have listened to the situation and have seen that truly, we are doing our best to make this right.
    Finally, I want to give a special thank-you to Friend of the Blog John Johnson. He and I have exchanged literally dozens of emails as this episode was developing. His assistance, guidance and advice have been invaluable. Thanks, JJ.
    To our servicemen and women who this episode have affected: please accept my sincerest apology. I hope you have seen what we are doing to rectify this — and we’re far from through. We are going to continue to cover this until the complete story has been told.
    A couple of other links for you to check out about this:

Props to Mr. Hanks and Ms. Moon for stepping up and trying to put this right.

Posted On:
    7/07/2011 8:02pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kudos to the editor for stepping up and admitting his mistake - couldn't have been easy to eat that much crow.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    7/07/2011 8:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    Kudos to the editor for stepping up and admitting his mistake - couldn't have been easy to eat that much crow.
    It was a series of unfortunate events, really - by the sound of it.

The editor was away at the time the story was published and the reporter (Ms. Moon) was straight out of journalism school - I believe it was stated somewhere that this was her 4th ever article, and she fell into the trap of thinking 'this guy has paperwork, he must be real', 'he seems genuine' and/or 'no-one would be stupid enough to claim all that in public if he were lying about it'.

That's what you call 'learning the hard way', I guess.

FWIW, someone on SOCNET has posted what is stated to be a portion of the Rock's real service record.

http://www.socnet.com/showpost.php?p...&postcount=129

One of the military guys can probably interpret that into thick people speak for the likes of me - but it would seem that Rocky actually had a respectable career in the US military. No James Bond/Rambo/Bourne/door gunner on the space shuttle **** (lol internet at that last one) - but certainly nothing to be sniffed at.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/07/2011 8:57pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's what makes it worse for me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2011 9:41pm

Style: Grappling/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Basically the guy got into the USARMY in 1987 looks like he was stationed in Germany were he attended PLDC (Primary Leadership Development COurse) were he was eventually promoted to E5. It appears that he got out as an E5. His primary MOS was a 13B (gun bunny) and he got a secondary MOS of 54B (chemical). It appears he got out in 1996 but I cant tell if that was IRR or Guard time or all active duty. Nothing terrible about his service, but he was not flown from mission to mission in an invisible silent helicopter.

Posted On:
    7/07/2011 10:10pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, he would have been fine just saying he was an Army NCO; which while not as great of an achievement as being a Ranger, is still something to be very proud of.

What a fucking toolbag.

What we, Bullshido, should be doing, is looking into his "Self Defense" claims. SOCNET's the experts on the military stuff, let's do our job and dig into his potential bullshit goldmine on the martial arts front.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    7/07/2011 10:18pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Yeah, he would have been fine just saying he was an Army NCO; which while not as great of an achievement as being a Ranger, is still something to be very proud of.
    The fact that he decided that claiming NCO status was not impressive enough for his 4th July interview, only shows contempt for his peers. Did he narrowly miss out on SF selection because of the medical? It's hard to imagine why he was so motivated to lie.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast