Bullshido's Greatest Ninja

Posted On:
    11/22/2012 3:47pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: JJJ/Judo[Nidan] BJJ[Blue]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    No. Machida is a karateka who trains for the MMA ruleset. Couture was a grappler training for the same ruleset. Machida put Couture away with a textbook jodan maegeri, a Karate move that is allowed under the MMA ruleset, just like a number of moves from other MAs, such as omoplatas and RNCs, are allowed in the MMA ruleset.
    Machida is an MMA fighter with a background in Karate as well as Muay Thai, Sumo and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. If you think the he is studying Karate at Black House under the MMA ruleset to justify your kata, enjoy your delusion.

Just note, if I can take someone and give them 6 months of training in Boxing/MT/Judo/Sambo/BJJ and have them be serious competition for your school's advanced ranks you are in the wrong fighting art.

Posted On:
    11/22/2012 4:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    Machida is an MMA fighter with a background in Karate as well as Muay Thai, Sumo and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. If you think the he is studying Karate at Black House under the MMA ruleset to justify your kata, enjoy your delusion.
    Machida self-identifies as a Karate practitioner. He cross-trains, as do many people in many MAs, for a particular purpose--participation in pro MMA-ruleset competitions. He does so in order to know what people from other backgrounds will try against him in MMA-ruleset competitions. Unlike others who do not specifically self-identify as Karate practitioners (GSP among others), Machida does so, and states that he uses his Karate background extensively in his bouts: Couture, Bader etc.

Just note, if I can take someone and give them 6 months of training in Boxing/MT/Judo/Sambo/BJJ and have them be serious competition for your school's advanced ranks you are in the wrong fighting art.
    No ****. Really? I'd take a "karateka" from any such a place and, if they wish to continue with (begin with, actually) Karate, I'd likely introduce them to something like the nearest KK or derivative (such as Daido Juku) school. I'd also advise crosstraining, just because it multiplies the MA fun.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2012 4:28pm

Style: It's complicated.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    Yeah. That's insane. That'd be like Anderson Silva practicing Taekwondo in an MMA academy!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2013 1:00pm

Style: ShinKyokushin/Shitoryu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because I hate running, need discipline and it is fun.

I wouldn't do it for any other reason than it being fun.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2013 12:06am

Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Machida self-identifies as a Karate practitioner. He cross-trains, as do many people in many MAs, for a particular purpose--participation in pro MMA-ruleset competitions. He does so in order to know what people from other backgrounds will try against him in MMA-ruleset competitions. Unlike others who do not specifically self-identify as Karate practitioners (GSP among others), Machida does so, and states that he uses his Karate background extensively in his bouts: Couture, Bader etc.

No ****. Really? I'd take a "karateka" from any such a place and, if they wish to continue with (begin with, actually) Karate, I'd likely introduce them to something like the nearest KK or derivative (such as Daido Juku) school. I'd also advise crosstraining, just because it multiplies the MA fun.
    Here's a good article from black belt magazine that breaks down Machida's fighting style and whay MA he uses for what.

http://www.blackbeltmag.com/daily/mi...s-and-tactics/

Posted On:
    1/08/2013 12:18am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Budo_Brown View Post
    Here's a good article from black belt magazine that breaks down Machida's fighting style and whay MA he uses for what.

http://www.blackbeltmag.com/daily/mi...s-and-tactics/
    Wow! Pretty much EVERYTHING he does other than BJJ and the straight punch is described as a Shotokan trait.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2013 12:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    Wow! Pretty much EVERYTHING he does other than BJJ and the straight punch is described as a Shotokan trait.
    I can't remember where I read it but I read an article the other day that interviewed Machida on his training the week before a fight. He said he gets up and first thing he does is go train BJJ then something else, I don't remember, and he finishes everyday training Shotokan with his brother and Dad. I can't remember the source right now, it was late when I read it.

Posted On:
    1/08/2013 12:29am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was being a little facetious. The article appears extremely biased.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2013 12:35am

Style: ShinKyokushin/Shitoryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Somehow when I see him fight, I feel that he is past the style constraint where one relies heavily on ONE style for his base just like Anderson, Ben Henderson, GSP and Jones and does "striking" his base and stance and footwork definitely comes from Shotokan.

The idea behind his way of fighting is also heavily based to shotokan, reverse punch counter until one connects and finish with boxing if not, keep distance.

He might do Muay Thai training, but he is only filling the holes of when an opponent is too close or in clinch range, just like how he trains BJJ for the groundwork.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2013 12:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was being a little facetious. The article appears extremely biased.
    I thought that might of been the case but my forum reading comprehension skills still need improvement. I guess that's why I'm told to Lurk more, post less huh? This has been hard for me because I'm a people person with above average communication skills. Reduce me to a keyboard though and I struggle socially like a kid that was home schooled. It's humbling to say the least, like my KK training.
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12 LastLast