--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kyokushin going to the Olympics?

So there is this big push now for Kyokushin to be added to the Olympics. Apparently a number of Kyokushin organizations are making "let's all work together" noises for this to happen.

What could possibly go wrong with that? Heh heh heh. I'm sure they'll all continue to get along great! And none of the leaders will insist that they teach the true Kyokushin and their fighters are the best, so everyone should follow their lead and take their directions! That would for sure happen long term.

Aaaaaanyway if they were to actually get along and not fight and form a united front, do you think they could actually get it accepted as an Olympic sport?

Plenty of people will say that Kyokushin isn't a sport, but anyway, if they do... what do you think the chances are that the Olympics would permit Kyokushin with the rule set it currently has for knockdown tournaments?

No padding except a mouthguard and athletic cup.
    No punches to the face, head, throat, joints, groin, back of neck, spine.
    No grabs or throws.
    Sweeps permitted.
    Leg, arm, body strikes permitted.
    Head kicks and knees permitted.
    Knee strikes, elbow strikes permitted.

I'm guessing not. If they do, hey, cool!

I'm really worried that, if Kyokushin is accepted into the Olympics in 2020, many Kyokushin dojos will go the way of many TKD dojang (is that the right term?) and lose what Kyokushin was, to try to get people in the Olympics. I am worried that the rules we have now will be lost in favor of olympic rules, and Kyokushin will be way more about sports.

What do you think?

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be honest, if the WKF (which represents karate across the board from over 130 countries) can't get it into the Olympics, a smaller group of just Kyokushin (and I don't say that as a disrespect) will, sorry to say, have no chance.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
    What could possibly go wrong with that?
    Just ask Judo

Quote Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post

I'm really worried that, if Kyokushin is accepted into the Olympics in 2020, many Kyokushin dojos will go the way of many TKD dojang (is that the right term?) and lose what Kyokushin was, to try to get people in the Olympics. I am worried that the rules we have now will be lost in favor of olympic rules, and Kyokushin will be way more about sports.

What do you think?
    Yeah that'll probably happen. Although I'm having a tough time imagining how they could wussify kyokushin to make it more crowd pleasing.

Maybe TKD will suddenly remember it's history, stake claim to being karate in the olympics and keep you out.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kyokushin groups don't even have a unified tournament or federation, unless they do that they have no chance of going to the Olympics.

To me it seems just like a publicity stunt in their never ending struggle for superiority stunts

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is actually a chance that kyokushin will get into the 2020 olympics. But as a demo sport.
    Apparently new rules for the olympics sets a maximum number of participants in total for olympic events, but also gives the arranging city the option of including "demo sports" as long as it does not take the number of contestant over the maximum (about 10000 or so).
    kyokushin (knockdown karate actually, not kyokushin specifically) and point karate (WKF) are both lobby for the position for the 2020 event in Tokyo.
    WKF turned in petition signed with some 600,000 signatures, but JFKO ("japanese full contact organization", a federation on many knockdown-karate groups with shinkyokushin as its most well known member organization), trumped it with over a million signatures. At the same time JFKO has some heavy-duty lobbyist in high level politicians in Japan. While WKF seems to e far behind with that.

Japanese in general would prefer baseball as demo sport, but that would take special stadiums to be built.

if point or knockdown karate (or both as there are signs of cooperation as separate diciplines under one banner) it will improve the chances in later attempts to become full fledged olympic sports voted in by the IOC, later on.

As for unified tournaments and federations, there are serious attempts to create that. In Japan JFKO has been created, with the intention of going worldwide as an international sport federation uniting knockdown karate styles for tournaments. Kyokushin world union is an already working international federation of dozens of kyokushin (and other non-kyokushin but related) organizations. KWU and JFKO are also beginning to talk merger or atleast cooperation). a third player, World kumite organization (that includes groups like shidokan and other), has been in talks with JFKO and KWU too, but not much is known about what has been said.

The only major groups that is still hard-line refusal to work with others is Matsui┤s IKO-1

(first post here in a seriously long time)
    Last edited by kolsyrade; 2/02/2015 7:48pm at .

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The key question is: How much money can Kyokushin make ? Is it ready to add profit margin to the "Olympic Movement". How much profit is Kyokushin based business making now. ?

Is there a unified Kyokushin international governing body in place ?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    The key question is: How much money can Kyokushin make ? Is it ready to add profit margin to the "Olympic Movement". How much profit is Kyokushin based business making now. ? Is there a unified Kyokushin international governing body in place ?
    as I wrote in the above post, there are several federations (each including many organizations of kyokushin and other knockdown groups -ashihara shidokan, byakuren seiwakai etc etc) that has joined together for joint knockdown karate tournaments & championships. KWU, WKO (world kumite organization, not WKO shinkyokushin), JFKO.
    These federations are now in talks about merging or cooperating to form such a international governing body.

Its still far from done, but if you think of how far the groups was from each other just 5 years ago, and the outright hate 10 years ago, the progress is astounding. Lol, KWU even includes the organizations of both Bluming and Hollander -the most legendary example of mutual hatred in kyokushin history.

Matsui is not interested in joining, and his bid for the olympics was rejected as the IOC deemed his organization to be a privately owned business. But despite Matsui┤s group being the biggest (but not by nearly as much as it used to be), it is tiny if you compare it to the joint size of the groups that ARE in negotiations for cooperation. His cooperation would be nice, too, but it is no longer vital.

to quote Kenji MidoriĘs recent open message " The Full Contact Karate world has entered a restructuring phase, at this opportunity to realize the inclusion of Karate in the Olympic Games. The Full Contact Karate world, which has a history of meeting and parting, has started a path of harmony and unity, with the 50th anniversary of Kyokushin, the origin of our competition, serving as a good opportunity."

Would olympic game inclusion benefit knockdown karate economically? yes! just national backing for national teams would be very helpful. and while not the reason I would prefer to get new members, there are plenty who have the olympics as atleast a partial reason for their choice of sport. A few olympic golds would probably not do any harm for our media relations on a national level, either.

Would it hurt the style & art (and everything not sport) aspect? most certainly. just look how gutted judo and tkd has become by rule changes and sport focus as olympic sport, shadows of what they once were. or how ridiculous and incomprehensible wrestling rules has become. But that is another matter.