Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2011 7:49am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

leg break

ok you know that your sutemi-waza sucks when you throw your 16 stone (235 lb) opponent on to the inside of your own knee

:DudeComeOn:

The resulting hemotoma is the size of half a grapefruit and the force was so great that it broke the fibula (little bone) on the outside of my tibia. (lucky for me it didn't break both).

so can anybody offer me some help or advice regarding getting back on the mat, 1) how do I keep myself in shape when I'm hobbling around like long john silver, 2) how long should I expect to be out of Judo for and, 3) are there any supplements or home remedies to speed up the healing of either the massive swelling or the broken bone?

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    7/03/2011 6:23pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) Any- and everything that you can do without involving that leg.
    2) Until it heals
    3) Good food, lots of rest, don't be a ***** when it comes time to use it again.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2011 8:25am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    succinct answer, could you elaborate? In particular I would like to know what I can do that doesn't put the leg under stress at the moment, I was doing a lot of bodyweight exercises before the break but now can only stand on one leg.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    7/07/2011 1:49am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anything that you could do otherwise, just don't put that leg on the ground. It's gonna be atrophied anyway, don't let it bring the rest of you with it.

If it hurts the leg, don't do it. If your cast/splint/whatever you're using for support doesn't permit the movement, find a variation that you can do.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/07/2011 2:17am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyokushin/Judo/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My husband got a spiral fracture of the tibia and fibula in kumite. One of my Doctor friends recommended calcium supplements to help with the healing. He did upper body weights whilst he was non-weight bearing and once he could partial weight bear he got onto the recline bikes. Once he could fully weight bear he did as much as he could on his leg but stopped if he felt pain in the fracture site. It seemed to have helped because he was able to have the rod and pins out 6 months earlier than scheduled.

If you go to a gym I am sure someone will do a program for you whilst you are in recovery mode.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/05/2011 8:37am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, MT, KM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a tibia plateau fracture some years back. I remember being distraught asking the doctor if I was ever going to be able to practice MA again. I remember weight training my atrophied leg in rehab was pretty grueling. I think my quickest and most rewarding gains came from swimming and cycling at first.