Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/03/2011 5:49am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyokushin/Judo/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Worse than normal GKR instructor?

I have always thought that GKR (although a total McDojo) posed no danger to anything apart from peoples wallets and dignity.

Over the past couple of weeks I have heard of 3 separate incidents at the local GKR dojo which are a bit concerning.

The first was a middle aged overweight female patient of mine. During a consultation about her weight I asked about her exercise routine. She advised me that she had recently given up karate due to injuries she sustained. She was doing GKR and was a yellow belt (which is a low level I assume) and had her ribs bruised 'black and blue' from conditioning by the instructor.

The second was a student who recently changed to our style. He claimed that he had his ribs broken during sparring with the instructor.

The third was an acquaintance claims that they do 'groin conditioning' during the class. Apparently you condition your groin by staying in stance whilst the instructor kicks at you testicles.

I get the idea that the instructor is teaching GKR's 'non-contact karate' to his students and then injuring them during sparring with techniques outside that rule set or with bad conditioning techniques.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    7/03/2011 5:59am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your hypothesis definitely does seem like a valid one from the reasons you state, but there are also other reasons why these injuries might and probably do occur as well.

Groin injuries in GKR I might suspect are very common, since any flexibility developed during the class are small gains due to a training method called ballistic stretching. They might not call it that in class, but when you are thrusting high kicks repeatedly into the air without using bags and/or people to absorb the kinetic energy you are having to generate with your core muscles, what you are achieving at best is a minor gain in control, and at worst is a career ending injury.

Welcome to Bullshido.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/18/2011 9:26pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    budochic,

Any chance of you giving the area of your practice?

Asking as it would possibly narrow down the schools where this is happening. Most patients see a doctor that is local.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2011 1:23am

Style: TSD, Karate & Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by budochic View Post
    ...I get the idea that the instructor is teaching GKR's 'non-contact karate' to his students and then injuring them during sparring with techniques outside that rule set or with bad conditioning techniques.
    Maybe this instructor has been watching too many Jackie Chan movies from the '70's :)

-Ken

Posted On:
    8/19/2011 3:43am

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Groin conditioning? Ouch!

I think I'll stick with my cod piece

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2011 6:04am

Style: Karate, mostly.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    Groin conditioning? Ouch!

I think I'll stick with my cod piece
    come on, you know as well as i do that codpieces only protect the other guy's foot :D

in all seriousness, the GKR instructor sounds downright criminal to me...

Posted On:
    8/21/2011 3:30am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kiaido ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sounds like the teacher in karate kid no real need for any training like that

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/21/2011 4:13am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyokushin/Judo/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know where the dojo is, as my husband saw them training when he was walking home from work. I dont know what to do about it though. Should I contact the organisation? If I do will they care? They dont seem to have very high ethical standards.

I know people get hurt in martial arts all the time. I am out of martial arts for good because of a training accident and my husband broke his leg in half in kumite. However these were accidents and we were doing a full contact style. Why sign people up for a non-contact style then hit them?

He seems like a douche bag for sure.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2011 7:30am

Style: Judo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I cannot see the logic or validity with the training techniques that your patients are being exposed to as part of a "no contact" style - I would encourage you to contact GKR directly to voice your concerns.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    10/12/2011 7:45am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by budochic View Post
    I have always thought that GKR (although a total McDojo) posed no danger to anything apart from peoples wallets and dignity..
    Moved out of Newbietown
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast