Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/01/2011 6:43pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu Jitsu, Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

question about dieting?

in the past with wrestling i've always had the mindset of eating low calories and layering up with workouts was the only way to loose weight. but now I don't want the quick fix, but a more stable weight loss over a longer period. my workouts right now go like this...
    Monday/Wednesday/Friday: Swimming, Biking
    Tuesday/Thursday: Swimming, Running

any advice on making a more lasting weight loss?

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    7/01/2011 7:57pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Exercise + Good diet = weight loss. With food, quality is more important than quantity in my experience. Eat the best quality foods you can, eat as much as it takes to cause your hunger to cease, but no more. Do this several times per day.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackSheep
    my workouts right now go like this...
    Monday/Wednesday/Friday: Swimming, Biking
    Tuesday/Thursday: Swimming, Running
    And hit the weights.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2011 9:41pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    im told you actually burn more calories while weight lifting than you do steady paced cardio. even after the workout you still burn calories. and the better muscle to fat ratio the higher your metabolism is.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2011 11:15pm

Style: Shotokan, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kouch View Post
    im told you actually burn more calories while weight lifting than you do steady paced cardio. even after the workout you still burn calories. and the better muscle to fat ratio the higher your metabolism is.
    i sweat like a MOTHER FUCKER when i work out, like 2 minutes in and i'm already starting to sweat, it's dripping off me by half way through if not sooner, i also lift in a way that get my heart rate up quite a bit. In my experience with doing cardio before or after i lift and JUST doing weights, i've gotten 100% better results as far as weight loss goes with weights (since i've been able to put in all my effort into them when i do them).

Also TC, things like high rep squat thrusts, mountain climbers etc, are great for calorie burning as well, and you'll also hit your muscles more :)

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    7/10/2011 12:52am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kouch View Post
    This can be true, or not true. It depends on the circumstances. There are plenty of weight-based workouts you can do that will burn many more calories than standard cardio, and plenty of them that won't. But the again, I believe the whole concept of "cardio" needs to be redefined.

Quote Originally Posted by proteinshakez View Post
    i sweat like a MOTHER FUCKER when i work out, like 2 minutes in and i'm already starting to sweat, it's dripping off me by half way through if not sooner, i also lift in a way that get my heart rate up quite a bit. In my experience with doing cardio before or after i lift and JUST doing weights, i've gotten 100% better results as far as weight loss goes with weights (since i've been able to put in all my effort into them when i do them).

Also TC, things like high rep squat thrusts, mountain climbers etc, are great for calorie burning as well, and you'll also hit your muscles more :)
    In my experience, some people are just natural sweaters, and some aren't. I'm in the sweating group. Hell, I break a significant sweat just doing shrimping repetitions warming up in Judo class.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2011 1:57pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you want to loose weight you must burn more calories than you consume, its as simple as that. I have always been pretty fit but during the last couple months I was able to loose about ten pounds and really get ripped up. I did this by loading up on veggies. Steamed vegetables and salads are extremely low calorie so you can eat LOTS of them. Make sure you get plenty of fiber and protein to keep you satisfied. Greek yogurt FTW

Posted On:
    7/12/2011 4:22am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate to parrot Taebo_Master but he's right.

Once you get in the habit of eating 95% quality food, altering the quantities to achieve fat loss is not hard. Do some research, start a truthful diet log, come back in one month and we'll have a look.

Fat loss is not rocket science, its just consistency and willpower.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2011 10:34am

Style: ATA TKD, Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Exactly. To be specific, approximately 3500 calories either + or - during a week is equal to a pound of fat loss/gain. Figure out your resting caloric needs, add in daily routines and workouts, and add it all up.

To lose about a pound a week of sustainable fat loss, you need a deficit of about 500 calories a day. Until you get used to portion sizes and calories contained, keep a food log and write EVERYTHING down. You'd be surprised how easy it is to underestimate calories, or how small 4 oz of protein (steak, pork, whatever) actually looks on a plate.

Also learn to read food labels carefully. Many things that say low fat can be up to 50% calories from fat, and a can that says "100 calories per serving" may have 5 servings in the can. Federal regulations are pretty loose on some of the details on food labels.

Don't be fooled by weight loss from sweat/glycogen stores either. In a two hour run, I'll consume anywhere from 20-30 oz of fluid, and still lose 6ish lbs. It's muscle and liver glycogen and water, and you need to replace it, not treat it as weight loss to be kept.

John

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    7/13/2011 1:09am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You seriously swim 5 days a week?

Thats awesome if you do, it's a great exercise for burning calories.
    Micheal phelps eats 12,000 calories a day, and still looks ripped.
    http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2008/08/...ry-it-at-home/

Are you actually pushing yourself on these exercises though?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2011 10:36am

Style: ATA TKD, Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson View Post
    You seriously swim 5 days a week?

Thats awesome if you do, it's a great exercise for burning calories.
    Micheal phelps eats 12,000 calories a day, and still looks ripped.
    http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2008/08/...ry-it-at-home/

Are you actually pushing yourself on these exercises though?
    I would bet not, on the swimming. Unless you grew up a swimmer, a swimming workout is generally at a fairly easy pace, for about 1000m or so. A "true" swimming workout starts around 5000m (3.1 miles) for your average AG/HS swimmer.

Once you get into the higher college/olympic level, you are doing anywhere from 8-15k per day of swimming workouts, plus weights, etc. Not hard to burn through a lot of calories doing that.

John
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast