Administrator

Posted On:
    8/02/2011 1:24am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matsubayashi View Post
    Don't you think it is most important to understand WHAT the op is seeking from karate in order to direct them to what kind of dojo makes the most sense?
    Yes.

There is karate, as developed in Okinawa. This is before it was adopted into the school systems and neutered. Then there is modern karate in Okinawa, the karate that was brought to mainland Japan and then there is karate in the rest of the world. Yes, I suppose you can call all these things karate. However, to me "real karate" is just that, the karate as it was developed as a true and complete fighting system way back when. It is almost impossible to find a place that teaches it. Heck, it almost doesn't exist even on Okinawa.

My point is this, people train in styles such as Kyokushin karate predominately to develop their striking for MMA. That is fine to do, but I don't understand why you wouldn't just study Muay Thai or Kickboxing instead, rather than waste their time learning karate stuff they will never use in an mma fight such as kata. Perhaps this is just my ignorance about Kyokushin. But kickboxing and Muay Thai just seem like a much more direct route to developing striking skills.
    Funny how that question wasn't posed anywhere in your post.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/02/2011 6:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Okinawan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Yes.

Funny that your panties are in such a wad over it.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/02/2011 6:31pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matsubayashi View Post
    Funny that your panties are in such a wad over it.

Posted On:
    8/02/2011 10:28pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thank ojgsxr6, bugeisha, kolsyrade (as always), octo kappa, world war cheese, Lindz, pointy shiny burn, and It is Fake, for your posts.

My point is this, people train in styles such as Kyokushin karate predominately to develop their striking for MMA.

I want to train in and for Knockdown Karate. Many people around the world train in Kyokushin and its successor arts for the sake of it.

How about some grappling you know throws, sweeps, joint locks, etc.? All I see is kicks and punches.

I trained in BJJ for years. Renzo Gracie Academy in fact. I want to do Knockdown Karate now.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/03/2011 1:55pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Okinawan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by asura111 View Post
    I thank ojgsxr6, bugeisha, kolsyrade (as always), octo kappa, world war cheese, Lindz, pointy shiny burn, and It is Fake, for your posts.

My point is this, people train in styles such as Kyokushin karate predominately to develop their striking for MMA.

I want to train in and for Knockdown Karate. Many people around the world train in Kyokushin and its successor arts for the sake of it.

How about some grappling you know throws, sweeps, joint locks, etc.? All I see is kicks and punches.

I trained in BJJ for years. Renzo Gracie Academy in fact. I want to do Knockdown Karate now.
    You could look at Seido Karate:
    http://seido.com/

Kyokushin:
    http://www.kyokushinkarate.com/

World Oyama:
    http://oyamakaratenyc.org/

Those are the first dojos I would check out.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123