Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/01/2011 8:09pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Neo Sigma,

I see what you're saying now. I've been caught doing that by my coach a few times and I work on it, but I still fall back into doing it wrong quite a bit. I've been trying to pay attention to where my shoulders are during the kick to make sure I'm turning my hips over properly, but I never thought to pay attention to where my chest is pointed so that might help.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    7/01/2011 10:41pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zaohu View Post
    Neo Sigma,

I see what you're saying now. I've been caught doing that by my coach a few times and I work on it, but I still fall back into doing it wrong quite a bit. I've been trying to pay attention to where my shoulders are during the kick to make sure I'm turning my hips over properly, but I never thought to pay attention to where my chest is pointed so that might help.
    My coach advises throwing your arm down (legit Sagat style) to help you get used to swinging your torso.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    7/06/2011 8:48am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any of these things help you out?

Posted On:
    7/09/2011 3:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm getting a little better, but I still have a good way to go. Balance is still the main issue but I'm getting it down a bit at a time and power is getting better. I'm also getting fewer corrections, so I'd say that's a good thing. Any other advice is always welcome, guys. Thanks!

Posted On:
    7/13/2011 10:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What does "Balance is still the main issue" mean?

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/13/2011 11:24am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It takes more than a month to get your kicks going dude.
    One of the guys I have been training has really shitty kicks. I don't know why, but for the life of me this guy is slow in learning kicks. Fortunately hes good with most other things.

I told him to do 10,000 kicks this year, within a month of his choice. He already knows the elements to make a kick; turn your standing foot (alllll the way around, 180 degrees), turn over your hips, relax leg. You need a few thousand kicks to get all the elements together, and many thousands more to make it one smooth motion and make kicks as intuitive as punches. Not that good punches are that intuitive but you know what I mean.

We also used to do these drills where we don't actually extend the kick. We hop forward like we are kicking, we turn our feet, fold our legs in and turn over the hip and get back. Thats just to work on turning the hip.

No replacement for repetition.
    Last edited by dwkfym; 7/13/2011 11:32am at .
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Posted On:
    7/13/2011 2:09pm

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Extra question. My main issue holding back my Thai kicks (which fully suck) is I have no lateral flexibility in my hips. I can swing my legs forwards and backwards, but barely at all side to side.

If I was performing a krotty side kick, the max target height would be their knee.

The result is shoddy kicks that become snap kicks to get any height.

What are the best exercises I could do to get this better at home, where I don't have access to a bag?

We do one at class which just involves lifting the leg out in front, and rotating out and putting it down to the side. Is that it?

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 12:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    What does "Balance is still the main issue" mean?
    I mean my balance while kicking sucks and I stumble trying to get back to stance. Although that's getting better now too. Still not that good at kicking, but slowly getting it down. It's a much more difficult and refined a kick than I originally thought it would be.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 3:11am

Style: BJJ/MT/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm the biggest retard at kicking ever. After 2 years of working on them I'm only just starting to feel they are ok. 1 month aint ****. The guys I've met who are amazing kickers have been doing it 10 years plus. Just relax and work on what your coaches are telling you. I know sometimes in my mind I'm doing the move right, so why isn't it working properly ?. Mainly because what I was actually doing was still wrong.

A drill that helped me a lot to get my balance better for kicking, at the heavy bag, you kick 10 times each leg ( alternating ), then 9, then 8, etc. down to 1. You don't pause between each kick or even think about what type of kick you are going to do next just throw em out as quick as possible. This drill is about endurance, speed and balance.
    note: be warmed up properly ( especially your hips ) before you do this drill to avoid injury.

If your coach gives privates, you might consider taking one and focusing on your kicking technique with him.

my 2 cents.

Posted On:
    7/14/2011 9:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zaohu View Post
    I mean my balance while kicking sucks and I stumble trying to get back to stance. Although that's getting better now too. Still not that good at kicking, but slowly getting it down. It's a much more difficult and refined a kick than I originally thought it would be.
    You mean after you hit the bag? Or just like in the air? Because in the air you should be turning all the way around back to your beginning stance.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast