Colin vs White Kimbo white Kimbo-off!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2011 12:08pm

Style: Issh"i"nryu fixed....

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    Ugh. So many people think Kimbo's popularity is magic pixe dust that can accomplish anything. Even if he gets a slew of simple-minded Youtube dwellers to buy watever PPV he's, he still needs to beat the guy in front of him to get ahead in the rankings. And it's been proven time and time again that he's just not nearly as good as his fans want him to be.
    I agree, but he is good enough to beat paid losers and journeymen. Also, Kimbo has proven that he's much better than his haters want him to be. How many mandatory nobodies did B-hop or Roy Jones defend their titles against? Yet those guys were ranked in the top ten for those fights despite doing absolutely nothing to deserve to be there.

I'm not a Kimbo fanatic or anything, but clearly you think he sucks, so if not do to his popularity, how did he got all the opportunities he got in the first place? Magic pixie dust?

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    7/01/2011 1:47pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Super8astard View Post
    I'm not a Kimbo fanatic or anything, but clearly you think he sucks, so if not do to his popularity, how did he got all the opportunities he got in the first place? Magic pixie dust?
    Profiteering. Kimbo's street fights were all the big talk on the interwebz and he became youtube famous. Somebody (Gary Shaw) thought it would be profitable to take this youtube famous street fighter and put him together with the fast growing sport of MMA. Famous + ppv = profit, supposedly, but it was done so poorly that Shaw's league went belly up fairly quickly. Then Zuffa wanted to squeeze the last few drops of juice out of Kimbo and put him on TUF. He sucked, he got dropped, so Kimbo is basically Danny Bonaduce now, whoring himself out for whoever will pay to see him get his ass kicked.

He was never good, just waded in and hit hard against other street bangers. Get him in the ring with a proper boxer and he's going to be just as outclassed as he was in the cage. Kimbo=/=Tyson.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2011 2:34pm

Style: Issh"i"nryu fixed....

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And there you have it. Kimbo's fame is not magic pixie dust that gives him opportunities he would never have otherwise gotten, it just gives him opportunities he would never have otherwise gotten.

And no, he never was good, but he's not that bad either. Tell me you've never seen worse. In boxing, there are far more fighters that are in there with the specific job of making their opponent look bette than there are top contenders. There is also very little risk of a knee injury and nothing to consinder other than punches above the waist. Kimbo has a good chin and heavy hands, and yes I saw the fight with Seth. That was a chance punch and won't happen with 10oz gloves.

Lets play a game called Find The Talent. Which HW fighters ranked between #10 and #20 have such superior technical skills and the KO power plus the chin to negate Kimbo as a threat? Very few HW have been known for their technical skill, and all of them who were are known as some of, if not the best of their era. I'm not saying Kimbo can beat a Klitschko, or that he will ever be a champion, or even that he will be remembered in 20 years. But however much you may not like or respect him, he will do well enough in boxing to get ranked, and he'll bring some publicity back to the division.

Do you think I'm wrong? If he can get a few KOs to add to his popularity, would he not at least be in line for a lesser title like IBA or get seeded? Is every boxer in the HW division as good as the hype? Do all the top 20 deserve their ranking for what they have done?

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    7/01/2011 3:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Neither was Johnny Knoxville, but that match happened.
    Oh my God, I did not want to know.

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/01/2011 3:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree, but he is good enough to beat paid losers and journeymen.
    Some, but not all. Match making for him can be like Russian roulette unless he's pitted against an outright tomato can or an entry-level fighter.

I'm not a Kimbo fanatic or anything, but clearly you think he sucks,
    I don't think he's a horrendous fighter, just that way too many people overestimate his competence in the ring (Even people who don't like him). A lot of his appeal is simply based on him looking tough, and his much touted punching ability isn't that special at all.

Ignoring the hype, though, I'd say his stint in MMA was fairly respectable.

so if not do to his popularity, how did he got all the opportunities he got in the first place? Magic pixie dust?
    His popularity earned him the spotlight on a few high profile MMA events. It didn't earn him a top ten ranking. It won't him a top ten ranking in boxing, either, even if his popularity actually translates over to the boxing community.

Best case scenario for Kimbo is that his management carefully watches out for him and he makes some bucks as a gimmick fighter. Otherwise, he gets knocked out again by another fighter nobody knows and his promoters are left to figure out how to stretch his fifteen minutes once more.

Edit:

Oh my God, I did not want to know.
    It's too late. You know now:

Last edited by Holy Moment; 7/01/2011 3:38pm at .

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/01/2011 4:18pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    EDIT: Nevermind. Bleep bloop.

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    7/01/2011 4:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heh, I hate to admit it, but I enjoyed that.

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Posted On:
    7/01/2011 5:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, I've revised my thoughts. I want to see Butterbean v Two-Ton Tony Galento.

In Galento's Bar.

With the customary CEEEgar in the corner of his mouth.

I know he's dead but I still think he's got a chance. He decked Joe Louis FFS(!)

(Mr Knoxville. Pink Gloves for ladies - as are the shorts. Even so, good effort).

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    7/01/2011 5:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
    (Mr Knoxville. Pink Gloves for ladies - as are the shorts. Even so, good effort).
    This gentleman would like to have a word with you:

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast