Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Lightweight

Posted On:
    6/29/2011 3:06pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The advantages of training with females

Whether she’s the 130 lb girl in muay thai class kicking higher than you every think you can get, or that girl who whether she’s in or out of a gi seems to be a walking dictionary of grappling technique, that female who always seems to be at the gym can be a wealth of not only knowledge but training that may just help you get to that next level, or tighten your game even more.

1. Touch Your Toes
    *** The first place those females around the gym can help you is with your flexibility.* Generally while males have the ability to build much more muscle, they start to lose their flexibility. Females stay more flexible throughout life and she may have some pointers.* The more flexible you are the less issues you have with tearing tendons and ligaments,* the higher your kick can get, and the more techniques on the ground you are able to do (think rubber guard, de la Riva, etc…)

2. Details Details Details
    *** How often does your girlfriend, mother, sister catch things you completely miss?* How many more dates do they remember, notice when the smallest thing change like your hair or soap. If she catches and remembers the most obscure things in every day life how often do you think she may catch a detail in a technique you may have not seen?

3.* Different movements
    **** The smaller a person is the faster they usually move. A female is probably going to be smaller and will move and react differentlythan a male. Trying to control someone and train with someone who doesn’t move as expected will give you a new set of possibilities.

4.* Use your Technique
    *** With a female and any other smaller opponent it should become less about strength and more about your technique. Since you have to worry less about them using their strength, your chance to work technique and use less strength helps your game grow. Besides they will be happy you have only decided to use technique as well.. It makes the exchange better.

5. Tighten your game.
    *** Working with a female will help tighten your game because when their size comes into play you need to keep yourself tighter to erase the gaps. Working to keep tight on a small opponent will work to keep you tighter on a bigger opponent.

Full article including the pictures can be found here at: http://navitabjj.blogspot.com/2011/0...help-your.html

Posted On:
    6/29/2011 3:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have two issues with the list.

Touch your toes:
    Women are naturally more flexible than men because their bodies produce oestrogen which increases flexibility. So unless prolonged grappling sessions with women will consist of a large dose of oestrogen being absorbed by the male through, presumably, osmosis. There's not going to be any real tangible benefit unless the woman is a specifically trained in physiology, in which case it wouldn't matter if they were a woman, man or flower pot.

Details Details Details:
    Its also my experience that women tend not to train as hard as men in terms of physical effort on the mat, attendance, concentration and commitment to learning off the mat. None of the girls who I know through Judo have ever bought a book or dvd on Judo and none of them spend time outside of training watching videos or seeking out new knowledge, even the blackbelts.

Relying on easy stereotypes of women paying attention to clothes and remembering where their husband left his car keys doesn't really translate onto the mat. Its more a matter of how dedicated you are to training and improving than whether you're a man or woman.

The rest of your points are probably true.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    6/29/2011 3:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find the biggest advantage to be that women smell better than men. A big plus when rolling.

Women seldom if ever forget to wear deodorant, guys it's often the opposite. Myself included.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    6/29/2011 3:33pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On flexibility, I've rolled with many female judoka who used their flexibility to good advantage in rolling. One black belt was nearly impossible to pin or control as she was so flexible it was like trying to hold down a snake. Really amazing, even much larger black belts had great difficulty controlling her on the ground.

Ben

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/29/2011 3:52pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I find the biggest advantage to be that women smell better than men. A big plus when rolling.
    Retarded. But also the first thing I thought of.

Posted On:
    6/29/2011 7:23pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Retarded. But also the first thing I thought of.
    Retarded minds think alike.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    6/29/2011 8:13pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Missing post moved here: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=107441

There is a zero tolerance policy when it comes to gender based trolling of females in the training areas. Be advised that future violations in this regard will result in infractions being issued.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    6/29/2011 9:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Navita View Post

1. Touch Your Toes
    *** The first place those females around the gym can help you is with your flexibility.* Generally while males have the ability to build much more muscle, they start to lose their flexibility. Females stay more flexible throughout life and she may have some pointers.* The more flexible you are the less issues you have with tearing tendons and ligaments,* the higher your kick can get, and the more techniques on the ground you are able to do (think rubber guard, de la Riva, etc…)
    like someone else already pointed out unless their tips involve boosting your oestrogen levels, i cant see any reason why advice on stretching would be more useful from a woman.

2. Details Details Details
    *** How often does your girlfriend, mother, sister catch things you completely miss?* How many more dates do they remember, notice when the smallest thing change like your hair or soap. If she catches and remembers the most obscure things in every day life how often do you think she may catch a detail in a technique you may have not seen?
    what? i know plenty of girls that miss details. my GF has to constantly ask me whats happening in movies. please explain how there is a link between a girl knowing what shampoo i use and being able to spot what im doing wrong with my lead hook. evidence please. this might be the basic technique forum, that doesnt mean you can make a statement with nothing to back it up.

3.* Different movements
    **** The smaller a person is the faster they usually move. A female is probably going to be smaller and will move and react differentlythan a male. Trying to control someone and train with someone who doesn’t move as expected will give you a new set of possibilities.
    reaching. most girls i know are slower than guys bigger than them due to not having as much muscle to propel them around. watch a female boxing match vs a male boxing match and you will see what im talking about.
    4.* Use your Technique
    *** With a female and any other smaller opponent it should become less about strength and more about your technique. Since you have to worry less about them using their strength, your chance to work technique and use less strength helps your game grow. Besides they will be happy you have only decided to use technique as well.. It makes the exchange better.
    ill sem iagree with this, depending on how you approach it. however training with people weaker, in my experience, generally makes it a lot easier (and more tempting) to just use brute strength to force a technique, sometimes without even realising.
    I used to train in a predominately islander gym, and now my clinch technique is pretty good because i spent all my time getting crushed by guys topping 220 pounds with names made almost completely out of vowels. i really dont think that if i had gone to the womens only gym down the road that my clinch technique would have improved it more than they did.

5. Tighten your game.
    *** Working with a female will help tighten your game because when their size comes into play you need to keep yourself tighter to erase the gaps. Working to keep tight on a small opponent will work to keep you tighter on a bigger opponent.
    i honestly have no idea what you are talking about here.

I dont want to sound like im a he-man woman hater here, but I have an intense dislike for this kind of psuedo science which is backed up by nothing more than preconceived gender notions.

since we have already ascertained that whatever it is that you are doing, navi, is scientifically worth less than the paper its written on (logical fallacies in that paper you claim to have gotten an A in, which wouldn't get a pass mark at any halfway decent facility imo) I personally think you should stop making stuff up and publishing it for the good of your readers. why not base your blog postson things a bit more tangible, its not like there aren't a lot of interesting fitness related studies out there with solid research. you come across as a well meaning but woefully uneducated person who, at a guess, recommends detox diets to people for "cleansing" and thinks that power bracelets have merit.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    6/30/2011 12:41am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alex I purely asked people what they thought were advantages of training with a female. It's is opinion and nothing more. As for the power bracelet I'm pretty sure I said more than once in the product review I did was I had no idea if the worked nor any idea about the claimed science behind them. As far as I'm concerned it's most likely a placebo effect. I went with how the fit, which one was more durable, and if you wanted to buy one to donate money which ones had breast cancer ones etc. As for detox, I've taken nutrition courses and would never recommend something like that. Specific people need specific things and need to see a certified nutritionist, and get put on a real plan of they are struggling to meet their goals

As for the paper it was an old paper in a 101 class. Chill the heck out oh mighty warrior that must know everything and be right

As for everyone else thank you for your opinions. Duely noted but like I said I asked opinions of friends, black belts, and my kru from Muay thai.
    Last edited by Navita; 6/30/2011 12:45am at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/30/2011 1:31am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Navita View Post
    Alex I purely asked people what they thought were advantages of training with a female.
    Sorry, I have to be pedantic and point out you wrote a statement of your opinion. You didn't ask a question so, people are now going to state their opinions about what you wrote.

I will never understand why people get butt-hurt when their opinion is challenged.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast