Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2011 1:20pm

Style: Shotokan, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Any of you ever use this kick in sparring?

obviously it seems a great deal of proficiency would be needed to pull it off, but for those that ARE trained well enough to use it, how are the results? I can only get my foot up to about upper arm/shoulder level atm doing this lol.

Alternatively i've been using a sort of front snap kick variation that involves going across to the other side of the opponent, but it's no where near as fast or as angled as this kick, doesn't do much damage but it does seem to occasionally open people up since they tend to not block it the first time since they don't see it coming, then the 2nd time they react to it and i can usually nail them.

Anyways rant over, just curious if anyone uses this kick in their sparring and how it's worked out so far for them :)

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/29/2011 1:42pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can do it. I've used it. It isn't that great when head punches are in play. It is the deadly deadly in knockdown karate because people keep their hands lower. Against a good cover or even a solid fighting stance it is very hard to land it cleanly. Your opponents hands often get in the way. A better "tricky kick" is the TKD/karate style round kick that starts out exactly the same as a front kick. As long as you mix it up with thai style round kicks and real front kicks they can be very hard to counter because they are so unexpected.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2011 2:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    I can do it. I've used it. It isn't that great when head punches are in play. It is the deadly deadly in knockdown karate because people keep their hands lower. Against a good cover or even a solid fighting stance it is very hard to land it cleanly. Your opponents hands often get in the way. A better "tricky kick" is the TKD/karate style round kick that starts out exactly the same as a front kick. As long as you mix it up with thai style round kicks and real front kicks they can be very hard to counter because they are so unexpected.
    thanks for the post. Well i don't spar anywhere near enough (yet) so i'm still learning the ins and outs (basically i'm trying to get to a point where i'm comfortable with it, because at my mma gym, it basically goes "newer guys that are still learning" "a few comfortable guys who beat you up but also try to help you learn" and then "zomg i'm pretty sure that guy just collapsed my lung when he hit me". I'm not particularly in love with getting paired up with the latter, and it seems that no matter what you say or do, someone always forgets that i'm newer to it and rips me a new asshole. There's a difference between learning through experience, and just getting beat up ya know?

Anyways point of that rant was you're probably right, there's alot of guys who mostly cover up so i'm thinking it would be hard to land it as you said. I usually do throw that kick that you mentioned, since i'm still learning how to throw really effective thai style roundhouses that don't look like modified shotokan kicks lol. I'll keep working on it though, as i feel getting the kick down at the VERY least, will have improved my foot speed and my flexibility alot in the process :) I usually mix in that kick you mentioned, front kicks, teeps and roundhouses (usually hitting them in the ass as opposed to the thigh lol, as i said i'm still learning to really throw the other MT style kick effectively when not on a heavy bag).

Thanks for the input and i welcome any other :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2011 3:53pm

Style: MACK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Does that flip kick put alot of stress on your knee? I have played with something like it, but the second part where you are changing the angle of attack usually puts a toll on my leg.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/29/2011 4:07pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have used it as well. If you watch his hips it is about the position of the legs and hip there is very little stress on the knee. At least the way I was taught and used it. It is almost like a reverse backfist.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/29/2011 7:08pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The forum ate my reply. It didn't make my knee feel great at first but like IIF said if your hips are lined up right it takes the stress out of the knee. Though I'd again point out that a proper guard makes this kick extremely situational.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2011 10:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I have used it as well. If you watch his hips it is about the position of the legs and hip there is very little stress on the knee. At least the way I was taught and used it. It is almost like a reverse backfist.
    that's been the hardest part so far for me, it's like totally opposite of the way i'm used to using my hips for w/e reason (that and i can't throw it off my "real" front leg yet, only if i switch to my other side lol). I'll just have to keep working at it :D

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/30/2011 12:32am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seeing that was kinda nostalgic. I used to do those when I was a skinny, flexible kung fu teenager who was good at kicking but not at fighting. Tonight we were doing some sikaran drills in class using focus mitts, and I decided to throw some of these into the mix because I saw this thread earlier today.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2011 12:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Seeing that was kinda nostalgic. I used to do those when I was a skinny, flexible kung fu teenager who was good at kicking but not at fighting. Tonight we were doing some sikaran drills in class using focus mitts, and I decided to throw some of these into the mix because I saw this thread earlier today.
    glad to contribute xD

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    6/30/2011 12:34pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like with everything, Korea will show you how it is done:
    Hwang Jang Lee's Art of High Impact Kicking has two sections on it, first is spinning twist kick @ 5:00

second is stepping twist kick @ appx 2:00

I think there may be more on the DVD, but is all I can think of now. My instructor refers to these types of things as "masking your kicks" as the initial movement is different than the end result.

Like with everything, your coach or instructor likely knows better than random internet guy.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast