Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    No style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Possible to get any straight discussions on here?

After looking around a bit,

it seems that threads around here are full of iinside jokes, general smarminess and sarcasm, and a whole lot of bullshit. Like I walked in on the middle of some frat house philosophy session.

Does anyone on here actually carry on a real discussion or is it all just tough guy smart assness?

Maybe I didn't look at the right threads.

Style
    bjj/judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're already butthurt, then maybe this is not the place for you.

What kind of discussions are you looking for? If you are looking for stuff like Style vs Style, Fred Villari, George Dillman, or the Dim Mak, then probably you will find thread that have devolved to internet lulz. You will notice, if you bothered to read the read the stickies, that some forums are more heavily moderated than others, so maybe if you do choose to stay, then you should stay there as opposed to YMAS or Trollshido.

Style
    Weight Training
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or in the right forums.

As you can tell, beneath each sub-forum name is a description. This will be useful in understanding the signal to noise ratio possibilities. For example the Your Martial Art Sucks forum is for general discussion and a permits a few jokes. The Martial Arts Training Forums are all serious discussion forum, where garbage and joke posts are moved out and users infracted accordingly. Trollshido is close to no moderation and generally don't open that forum.

What are you looking for?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Style
    No style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not really looking for "my martial art sucks" per se,

But for example if I wanted a discussion on wing chun, like technical aspects...I dont give a rip abbout lineage, etc...

If someone wants to say it sucks, that's fine, but how about some specifics?

"Technique X is useless against 1,2, or 3. Your elbows are always extended too far out. Technique Y has to be practiced continually and even then is only marginally effective. It's a lot of fun to practice A, B, and C but using them against someone with any skill in striking is very difficult.

That sort of thing. An actual sort of nuts and bolts discussion. That's a vague example but hopefully the point gets across.

There is so much to read here I won't say I've even scratched the surface, but in the little browsing I did I couldn't find this sort of thing.

But like I said maybe I haven't looked hard enough yet.

Style
    No style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by soldiermedic25 View Post
    If you're already butthurt, then maybe this is not the place for you.
    Lol, butthurt. Not quite yet.

As for Dillman, actually if I could find a real discussion, that would be great. I don't know much about him other than he expounds some pressure point based system. If I could find a thread that discussed those techniques (good or bad) I'd like it.

A thread that just says "he sucks" over and over in a million different ways, not so much.

Style
    MT/BJJ/MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are forums for Advanced Striking, Advanced Grappling, Physical Training, and misc techniques.

Note: These are precisely the sort of on-topic areas you are looking for, but there is a caveat:
    If you are creating low content or no content posts in these areas, your posts are only going to be deleted.

ie: read for a good long time before you should feel inclined to post in that forum.
    Obviously read the stickies, but more than that, you should familiarise yourself with the subject matter experts and the level of quality information required to post in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post

As for Dillman, actually if I could find a real discussion, that would be great. I don't know much about him other than he expounds some pressure point based system. If I could find a thread that discussed those techniques (good or bad) I'd like it.

A thread that just says "he sucks" over and over in a million different ways, not so much.
    PS: lots of research and hard work went into owning the right to say George Dillman sucks.
    His martial arts encyclopedia wiki:

http://www.bullshido.org/George_Dillman

Welcome to bullshido.
    Last edited by Colin; 6/29/2011 9:08pm at .

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like was said, there are forums for that. The CMA forum is for serious discussions on Chinese Martial Arts.

See at the top how there is a tab that says "Traditional Forums?" Click that sucker, and the first forum is the CMA forum

aw hell I'll be kind and just link you.
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=101
    "The pedant is he who finds it impossible to read criticism of himself without immediately reaching for his pen and replying to the effect that the accusation is a gross insult to his person. He is, in effect, a man unable to laugh at himself."Sigmund Freud, The Ego and the Id.

Style
    No style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    PS: lots of research and hard work went into owning the right to say George Dillman sucks.
    His martial arts encyclopedia wiki:

http://www.bullshido.org/George_Dillman

Welcome to bullshido.
    Thanks dude that was interesting and just the sort of thing I was looking for, although it was not exactly a back and forth discussion.

So do you discount the entire concept of pressure points, or just Dillman's embellishment of the concept?

Style
    MT/BJJ/MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks dude that was interesting and just the sort of thing I was looking for, although it was not exactly a back and forth discussion.

So do you discount the entire concept of pressure points, or just Dillman's embellishment of the concept?
    Well, when it comes to fighting, the body is comprised of two parts. Soft parts and hard parts. If you can drive your hard parts into their soft parts, I would call that effective use of "pressure points".

Strictly speaking, there are groups of nerves in specific spots, and thus these areas are more susceptible to stimuli, some parts especially so, and it is no coincidence that these parts are generally the "softest" parts, ie: armpit, eye socket, etc..

Style
    BJJ/Zumba
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Advice, use navigation; it's intuitive! http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100

In other news, the Chun is bad news. Quit. Coming from a reformed and so, so, so happy ex-the Chun practitioner. Boxing/Muay Thai/Judo/BJJ or something else. If you know the Chun is ****, but just like it, fine—but be honest with yourself about why you are training.

Also, welcome to bullshido.
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last