Combat Base BTW:
I've been working on pulling guard for a few weeks now, because I feel too big on top of people (6"0 265ish lb) Ive found that some of the more skilled guys can pull butterfly guard and sweep instantly.
Thanks for the responses. I think I've got out of that:
0. Keep training. Obviously.
1. From a neutral position, try to get top position or inside their guard as quick as possible. This I can see as being quite difficult to achieve as it requires some form of takedown. I have it in my head that wrist control would be important here.
2. Work to keep off my back, keep away from their centre/ off their base.
3. Start alternating from a side control position and work escapes and subs.
4. If all else fails pull guard and work sweeps/ subs.
I'll look into the combat base.
Cheers for the suggestions. Actually that all reads like sound advice against any opponent...
BTW I'm quite comfortable with getting mashed, the only issue is that I keep picking up minor injuries (heavy bruising, tweaked joints etc) that can make me miss training sessions. For example I can't lift my arm above my head without significant pain right now. Not whinging, just saying... So I'm looking at damage limitation.
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO