Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/28/2011 11:58pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omega angry at OP. Omega smash OP. **** OP.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/28/2011 11:59pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by November View Post
    Isn't a lot of it a fairly modern response to Kung Fu movies (the emphasis on giant kicks and acrobatic movements, at least)? I thought that the older arts tended to be more reasonable. They're still not necessarily the best way of doing things, but it's easily better than being untrained.
    Hahahahahaaaa

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/29/2011 12:19am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Hahahahahaaaa
    I'm curious what your problem with that is. Many of the people that the public thinks of as "martial artists" like Jackie Chan are as much dancers as martial artists, and that's what ended up being promoted in a lot of places (I've yet to see a legitimate Kung Fu school in the US, although I'm told that they do exist). I've had friends go to the Shaolin Temple and see an acrobatic troupe that has neither monks nor martial artists. Many of the arts that I've seen look like they have a good base of techniques (Tai Chi seems to have good throws, for example), but it looks like there is a lot of flowery acrobatic stuff that doesn't necessarily make sense in a fight. Isn't Sanshou based on Kung Fu? It seems like that gets rid of a lot of the weird stuff.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/29/2011 12:22am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by November View Post
    I'm curious what your problem with that is. Many of the people that the public thinks of as "martial artists" like Jackie Chan are as much dancers as martial artists, and that's what ended up being promoted in a lot of places (I've yet to see a legitimate Kung Fu school in the US, although I'm told that they do exist). I've had friends go to the Shaolin Temple and see an acrobatic troupe that has neither monks nor martial artists. Many of the arts that I've seen look like they have a good base of techniques (Tai Chi seems to have good throws, for example), but it looks like there is a lot of flowery acrobatic stuff that doesn't necessarily make sense in a fight. Isn't Sanshou based on Kung Fu? It seems like that gets rid of a lot of the weird stuff.
    Hahahaaaaaaaaa

Sanshou? You didn't click that link did you?

Posted On:
    6/29/2011 12:54am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Omega angry at OP. Omega smash OP. **** OP.
    Bad Omega. Omega should no use bad language.

Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    6/29/2011 9:08am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by arsonist View Post
    how did Chinese kung fu, silat ect ect go on for so long with out people calling bulls#$ on it, cause as Im told aren't these styles millions of years old?

if they obviously don't work what the hell where people doing back then for unarmed self defense?
    First, most people don't train in martial arts to defend themselves. That was as true in the past as it is today - perhaps even moreso back then. You've got a bunch of people living in a small town or village, no TV, no Internet ... what's a poor farmer to do? Answer, the local martial arts master runs class a couple of times a week, all of the young men of the town get a chance to blow off a little steam, everybody is happy.

Unarmed self-defence was what you did in the interim until you could grab a weapon. And frankly, just having spent some time learning how to properly make a fist, or block a punch would give someone a fair advantage over an attacker who hadn't done so. We're a bit spoiled in the modern age with our immediate access to martial information. Imagine training 30 years ago when just about the only easily available books was the Bruce Tegner material.

As for calling bullshit, when MMA started up not that long ago, many myths that had grown around the TMA were very quickly shattered. It was a lot of fun reading the martial arts magazines around the time of the first couple UFC's, to watch some well-known instructors sputtering to defend how well their art would work. People love their myths, and the scientific method is counter-intuitive to how the vast majority of people live their lives.

Posted On:
    6/29/2011 11:23am

Style: sum yum guy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    Not all kung fu and silat were created equal. Somewhere there is a Kung Fu practitioner who develops his chi by running, lifting and sparring that can kick your ass.
    Yea well when you find him tell him to give me a call.

Posted On:
    6/29/2011 11:27am

Style: sum yum guy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Yes, kungfu doesn't work ever:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=72258

When you finish with all of those videos, please let me know which competition you are entering.

Thank you.
    BWAHAHAHAHAHA! Really bro!? I went thrue you little video library and found nothing but people playing "tag" and doin basic tae kwoon do crap nice going man. funny

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/29/2011 11:30am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yea well when you find him tell him to give me a call.
    Change your style field.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! Really bro!? I went thrue you little video library and found nothing but people playing "tag" and doin basic tae kwoon do crap nice going man. funny
    No actually you didn't because there is full contact all throuhg that thread.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/29/2011 1:42pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey! Pendejo!

Let me know when your sorry ass makes it to America.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast