Thread: New Karateka

Style
    Shotokan Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

New Karateka

Hello~ I'm new to the forum and new to Shotokan Karate. Just started 2 weeks ago, 5 sessions in. I've had training in Kempo Tae Kwan Do for about a year and a half, but that was over a decade ago.

I'm loving Shotokan so far though there's one thing that has me curious. What's with the deep stances? I'm not use to it nor sure of its benefit. I'll have to ask sensei when next I go. Still, if anyone else knows, I'd appreciate an explanation ^^.

Style
    MT/BJJ/MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey welcome :)
    Many of my personal heroes trained in those styles. Ryu Hoshi, Kim Kap Hwan and Makoto!

On a more serious note, welcome to Bullshido. As I understand it, the deep stances are rooted in the traditional training methods of the art.
    If you can imagine a small japanese dojo packed to the rafters with students, there is very little room to move around, and hence doing line forms requires a certain economy of space that can be achieved with deep stances and therefore stable manageable movements, as opposed to say, the more mobile light-footed stance we see used in modern fighting.

Style
    Shotokan Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, nice. Thanks a bunch Colin.Does that mean it's a more a part of training, or would I be expected to fight from that kind of stance?