Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/18/2011 9:40am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    So whether he decided to put Shihan in his forum nick name or not is completely irrelevant.
    For those of us who practice traditional JMA it is, because someone who is legitimately shihan would generally not refer to themselves as shihan in that fashion. It's just basic Japanese etiquette not to use an honourific when referring to yourself. So for me it's a red flag whenever that happens.

Not really defending b2f here, I agree he doesn't have enough experience to be critical.
    Last edited by NeilG; 7/18/2011 9:44am at .

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    7/18/2011 10:34am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    For those of us who practice traditional JMA it is, because someone who is legitimately shihan would generally not refer to themselves as shihan in that fashion. It's just basic Japanese etiquette not to use an honourific when referring to yourself. So for me it's a red flag whenever that happens.

Not really defending b2f here, I agree he doesn't have enough experience to be critical.
    I still think that's overweighting forum nicknames in the scheme of things.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/18/2011 9:35pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kashima Shinryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Born2fight, you need to come up with something substantial. Right now you just look like the pot calling the ninja black. It doesn't help that you're going to break the reply button either.

It's a pretty big faux pas to refer to yourself as "sensei," "shihan" &c. though, since they are honorifics. Screen name aside, he referred to himself as "shihan [insert name here because I have ADD kthx]" or whatever so it's become a matter of personal address rather than name. Bad reihou isn't the end of the world, but it's still important. Especially when you're claiming a title with the sort of gravitas afforded to one like "shihan".
    Last edited by Mr. Fluffers; 7/18/2011 9:38pm at .

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    8/18/2011 10:12am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Going to necro this one because I have some experience dealing with LI Ninja.

For a McDojo, they aren't a bad school. They actually do live sparring (kumite/randori) as wel as the typical ninja compliant stuff. I know for a fact the head instructor has no problem with his students competing and he hosts a few karate tourneys a year on LI.

LI Ninja is a Genbukan (sort of) school. You wouldn't get your ranking from the Genbukan Honbu as Allie Abbirego(sp?) left that organisation about 6 years ago.

Here is his site.

http://lininja.com/

He is right in WI off of Sunrise Hwy. If you must do ninjutsu, check out this guys school. If you want to learn something better, find a judo club which I know there may be a new one starting up in Suffolk County. There is also an Enshin (Kyukushin/Judo hybrid) dojo in Selden that I heard is pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345