My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    6/30/2011 9:08am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    And why is it that small people are more likely to end up on the ground? Says who?
    That is where I put small people to feed on them.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2011 9:19am

Style: Work got in the way

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    A missed nut shot results in an angrier rapist.
    If you're close enough and hug/graple each other(standing or on the floor), you can just grab him right by the nuts and squeeze like there's no tomorrow and/or punch them.

In any case, a much lighter person can (almost)always run faster and longer than a BIG guy, so running is always a good self-defence.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2011 10:12am

Style: BJJ & MMA, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I teach the "Don't walk home alone drunk" stuff, and "be aware of what's happening around you with your ears and eyes and logic." Failing those things, I teach throat and eye shots, push kicks, and some very basic BJJ stuff with the goal in mind to retreat and not defeat. Make your opportunities and bolt the **** out. Hopefully enough injury will happen that you get a really good head start or your attacker in non-pursuit capable.

One funny/(to me) note, is the "What kind of weapon should I get?" I always say "#1, a small, medium caliber revolver. I'll teach you to deploy, retain and use effectively. Practice a bit and your golden."

"Oh I don't want a gun. I think guns should be illegal."

"Oooookay, then find yourself a good knife with a rubber handle grip that's legal length to carry . I'll teach you some basic deployment , retention and uses."

"Oh, but I don't a knife, that sounds scary...and what if they take it from me and use it against me?"

"It won't happen, but I see where this is going. you really don't want to hurt the guy trying to hurt you, do you? Well then get a goddamned stun gun. use it on target areas like the eyes, throat, wrist and groin. These are the most effective targets."

"Oh that sounds nasty too! What about pepper spray?"

"Fine, get pepper spray. Try not to spray yourself in the face."

"What you don't think pepper spray works?"

"No it works, but its doesn't incapciate someone as well as the above things I've mentioned. It sounds like you should just tell your attacker you have AIDS and teeth in your vagina. That way you'll scare him off and you won't have to hurt him."

"What about that baton thing you have?"

"Look, if you're not going to shoot, stab or shock someone who is trying to kill or rape you, then there's no chance you're going to try and beat them unconscious with a little metal stick. Just forget the baton. buy a dog, a big , loud mean one and take him everywhere you go...wait, I bet you own a Prius or some tiny hippy-hybrid that dog would never fit it, let alone want to eb seen riding in by his doggy-friends...never mind. Get a cat, stay home and never leave your house. Or try to stomach the idea of a pistol, knife, stun gun or pepper spray."

^ This has happend to me on more than one occassion. (Dramatized for reading pleasure.)

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    6/30/2011 10:18am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by driver View Post
    If you're close enough and hug/graple each other(standing or on the floor), you can just grab him right by the nuts and squeeze like there's no tomorrow and/or punch them.
    That might just piss him off.
    Biggest mistake most people make is that the nuts is an off button. You just hit it or grab it and the your attacker is now incapacitated. Not only is that not always true but now you just escalated the level of violence in a fight you were probably already losing.

In any case, a much lighter person can (almost)always run faster and longer than a BIG guy, so running is always a good self-defence.
    Big guys being slower is also another mistake.
    The fastest people on earth are not little people. Many world class 100, 200, 400m sprinters are close to or over 200lbs, prime example Usain Bolt. I'm very fast myself and many little guys who thought they could simply out run me fought they we were wrong.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    6/30/2011 5:02pm

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^
    I was play fighting with my 6 year old daughter the other day, and she just grazed my nuts with her knee. I got the sinking feeling just from a light tap.
    I told her that she had got my tenders and she says 'thats what you get if you fight a girl!'

Proud Father

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2011 5:16pm

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing, nogiJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shigi View Post
    Also, what if the bodybuilder from that video above knew BJJ himself?
    No one is saying that small people are on equal ground with larger people (haha get it, ground? grappling? ...I'll show myself out). Size is definitely an advantage, the idea is that proper martial arts training can help close that gap.

I have a friend who does BJJ, and whenever we do DJJ (Drunk JJ), he always wins. He is about 5'4" while I am about 6' and I was even taught a few basic ground positions, locks, and escapes by a former instructor. Because of my size and strength its always an ordeal for him to tap me out, but he almost always wins our matches because he totally outclasses me on the ground.

And that segues onto the topic at hand pretty well, I think. All other things equal, the bigger person will usually win. However, when they aren't (say you have years of training and conditioning against someone who doesn't), things are less predictable. No amount of training can ever guarantee your victory in a confrontation, big or small, but it can at the very least make your odds a lot better.

Its sorta like wearing a seat belt. You're safer, but not guaranteed to come out okay. Thats why its better to be cautious and not put yourself in a bad situation.

Posted On:
    6/30/2011 5:39pm

Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    I'm very fast myself and many little guys who thought they could simply out run me fought they we were wrong.
    Before chasing them, do you say something to the effect of
    "KYAHAHAHA! The hunt begins..."?
    Quote Originally Posted by Judoka_UK
    Judo is the PC to Sambo's Mac.

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    6/30/2011 6:57pm

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry top pick a scab, but I would like to bring Wing chun into the debate.
    I dont know much about The chun, but was it not devised by a WOMAN!!!?
    Does this give it greater deadly in the hands of a woman?
    My sister studied it and it certainly gave here the confidence start on me!

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    6/30/2011 7:02pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    I dont know much about The chun, but was it not devised by a WOMAN!!!?
    nope.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2011 7:06pm

Style: Limalama

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    I have three problems with carrying a knife
    1) In this jurisdiction it is V illegal and the carrier will end up in the ****
    It is legal in my area, and if you are about to be beaten to death, a jail cell might be the better option.
    2) Unless well skilled there is great pottential for blade to be turned against wielder
    I would put good money on a mid level fma player not being disarmed by the average person no matter how strong they are. Disarms are insanely hard to pull off even by experienced people.
    3) A blade may well escalate the situation, especially if produced by a "weakling"
    This I agree with.
Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast