Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2011 9:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Parkour is the best defense. Learn to run fast, build up endurance, and get around/over/under objects quickly and efficiently. Plus, you are more likely to be faster than a big guy than you are to overcome the massive strength disadvantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Cullion View Post
    I don't think comparing people in a groundwork competition with no striking allowed gives a full picture.
    I'd also add spiking to the list of things that you don't get the full picture of in training. When you go to the ground with a guy who has a difference in size, you risk the big guy picking you up and slamming you back into the ground which would probably be head first on the street.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2011 9:10pm

Style: Stabbing the Face.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    Escaping is not grappling.
    No, but positional dominance (which is required for escape) is grappling. A smaller person needs to learn that to stand a chance against a larger person.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/29/2011 9:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Mixed combative art

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    And why is it that small people are more likely to end up on the ground? Says who?

Says anyone who has ever tried to take down a 100 pound person and a 250 pound person of equal skill.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2011 9:21pm

Style: Weightlifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didn't a pro bodybuilder wreck some BJJ guys **** way back when?

I remember watching some grainy fight footage and the bodybuilder been pissed off the fight was stopped.

I heard the fight was stopped because
    A. He didnt know what type of danger he was in
    B. His arm was allready broke

I cant quite remember though, it was along time ago.

Either way, he didnt want to stop fighting the fight hadnt ended and he wanted to carry on wrecking BJJ's ****.

I dont think BJJ is a bad art though for weak people to learn, probably there best option other than gaining weight and getting strong.

There it isss, I honestly cant see why the fight was stopped but the video is very shitty
    Last edited by Franco; 6/29/2011 9:31pm at .

Posted On:
    6/29/2011 10:45pm

Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Weak and fragile noobs gain moxie quite quickly. They will gain muscle to a base level, and cardio like a ************. These two are huge assets.

Furthermore, they learn how not to give up. Sounds very sports-film but I mean learning how to better manage your morale. I think you learn (aside from technique) how much of a beating you can take, and what matters compared to what doesn't matter, as in handling your morale and the rage dump you get when it gets serious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Judoka_UK
    Judo is the PC to Sambo's Mac.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2011 11:04pm

Style: Limalama

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about fma/silat and just always carry a knife? That's the only way I can see strength being much less of an issue.

Posted On:
    6/30/2011 3:38am

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by donoraen View Post
    ... always carry a knife?
    I have three problems with carrying a knife
    1) In this jurisdiction it is V illegal and the carrier will end up in the ****
    2) Unless well skilled there is great pottential for blade to be turned against wielder
    3) A blade may well escalate the situation, especially if produced by a "weakling"

Quote Originally Posted by 100xobm View Post
    Weak and fragile noobs gain moxie quite quickly. They will gain muscle to a base level, and cardio like a ************. These two are huge assets.

Furthermore, they learn how not to give up. Sounds very sports-film but I mean learning how to better manage your morale. I think you learn (aside from technique) how much of a beating you can take, and what matters compared to what doesn't matter, as in handling your morale and the rage dump you get when it gets serious.
    I concur with 100xobm. I vividly remember when I started Judo, and the ache in every muscle the next few days, even in muscles I did'nt know I had. I also rember the panic/claustraphobia of being pinned down with restricted breathing.
    Now, several years on every muscle is fit for porpose and I hardly ever panic when I am under some fat hairy sweat bag.
    The only way I have found for getting used to being punched in the face, is to get punched in the face till it aint no thing

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/30/2011 8:45am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What would you guys conisder "tiniy", tho? Smaller than 170cm ?

Also, what if the bodybuilder from that video above knew BJJ himself?
    Last edited by shigi; 6/30/2011 8:52am at .

Posted On:
    6/30/2011 8:52am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Didn't a pro bodybuilder wreck some BJJ guys **** way back when?

I remember watching some grainy fight footage and the bodybuilder been pissed off the fight was stopped.

I heard the fight was stopped because
    A. He didnt know what type of danger he was in
    B. His arm was allready broke

I cant quite remember though, it was along time ago.

Either way, he didnt want to stop fighting the fight hadnt ended and he wanted to carry on wrecking BJJ's ****.

I dont think BJJ is a bad art though for weak people to learn, probably there best option other than gaining weight and getting strong.

There it isss, I honestly cant see why the fight was stopped but the video is very shitty
    I recall the BJJ guy won, although barely, and was far larger than the BJJ guy.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Posted On:
    6/30/2011 9:05am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by yli View Post
    No, but positional dominance (which is required for escape) is grappling. A smaller person needs to learn that to stand a chance against a larger person.
    I recall sparring the daughter of my Sensei back in 2001. She was a superb grappler, went to Oklahoma state and wrestled with them. She stuffed my take down beautifully, but in about five seconds, I simply rolled over like a beached whale and pinned her. If you are in a situation where you are vying for situational dominance with a larger person, you have already made crucial mistakes. The horse already left the barn. I'm not saying don't learn grappling. I'm saying if is not the first thing I would learn if I was tiny, because it does not play to your strength.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung
Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast