Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/28/2011 1:12pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gun-fu, so long as you don't live a ***** country like the UK. If I'm blessed with any daughters they're learning to shoot. And Judo because it's the best of a bunch of no so great alternatives.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/28/2011 1:13pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gezere/Asia you are in no position to judge. A) you're quite large. B) you're extremely skilled. I know it is a bad idea to assume that every attacker is unskilled but if felony fights is to be believed the vast majority sure will be.

I'm a pretty small guy. My instructors make me roll with enormous newbs all the time just to show them what BJJ is about. I really think that there is a better chance for the small people to survive a confrontation with an averagely skilled large person than the large and skilled posters here imagine.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/28/2011 1:19pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post
    We don't have any purples that are less than 175lb. I would actually love to roll with someone that small and that much better than me. I might actually believe the Helio stories a little more.
    You have BJJ Purple Belts in your school and you are teaching nerdy wrist locks? Does not compute.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    6/28/2011 1:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Gezere/Asia you are in no position to judge. A) you're quite large. B) you're extremely skilled. I know it is a bad idea to assume that every attacker is unskilled but if felony fights is to be believed the vast majority sure will be.
    I sensitive about my weight! Do you know how much of a burden these muscles are!?!?!

Sure they're are a lot of lummoxes out there but I don't believe in preparing for the lowest common denominator. If you don't invest the time to become stronger and skilled you are going to be even less likely to dealing with the unknown.

I'm a pretty small guy. My instructors make me roll with enormous newbs all the time just to show them what BJJ is about. I really think that there is a better chance for the small people to survive a confrontation with an averagely skilled large person than the large and skilled posters here imagine.
    PLEASE!!!! You are no small weakling. You are just the opposite of what most people would do to be able to handle a larger more physically superior opponent.

Again it is not impossible for a little guy to physically beat a bigger stronger one its just not very likely. In Self Defense physical skill is a small part of the picture but it that part that if you are at that point you could be screwed. If a lil guy is worried just about that phase they need to understand that they will need to invest a lot of time in it to give them a chance.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2011 1:55pm

Style: Getting less fat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am what Gezere would call a lil guy. 5' 2" tall. Here is what I think instructors should focus on for us wee folks.

Be realistic with them. They will always have a tougher time in a confrontation. Awareness and avoidance. Train them, but tell them there are no short cuts. It will take time and hard work, more than a bigger person, to get to the point where you can defend yourself.

When I was partying (when I was younger) a lot of folks tried to start **** with me. I just apologized for wrongs real and imagined, and walked away. Almost always will work.

BTW-I have never had a really big guy start **** with me. Always someone bigger, but not really that big. I guess they had something to prove.

Tell your students to get strong. Back when I was training, I was a lot stronger than I appeared. It shocks the hell out of people when they muckle on to a smaller guy, and the smaller guy picks them up, and puts them on the ground. That shock can buy your students some time. Time enough to escape. Once again, this will involve hard training, for a good amount to time.

Weapons. Weapons are good. But, just like anyone else, wee folk should seek quality training in their weapon of choice.

Basically the same thing as the giant peeps. Solid training in striking and grappling, having and knowing how to use a reliable weapon, not being a dick and not being a dummy. Just more of it. A lot more.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    6/28/2011 2:55pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have BJJ Purple Belts in your school and you are teaching nerdy wrist locks? Does not compute.
    The guy that told me what to teach them is an old dude that loves wristlocks and standing armbars. Don't ask me why, 'cause I don't know.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/28/2011 3:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Mixed combative art

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I agree. Also a key word here is survive. Wristlocks, in my opinion, are useful for big strong people for control without resorting to excessive force. They just don't work well against big strong guys. I'd focus instead on breaking grips and striking, then escape. The idea is to get away, not win a fight.

Pepper spray is good too. That **** burns.

Posted On:
    6/28/2011 3:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [rant]There is no self defence, when someone attacks you you are in a fight, and you can either fight or you cant. Whats more the environment of a martial arts/combat sport club where you'll learn to fight will make it impossible for you to remain weak, you show up for training and you'll get stronger; from basic conditioning, rounds and rounds of drilling, pads, sparring, rolling, randori etc. etc. and that's before supplemental strength and conditioning training so you can train more effectively. So you either do that, or go to some wishy washy bullshit academy where they'll tell you that you can stay as weak as you like becasue strength can be used against blah blah blah[/rant]

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2011 3:22pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post
    We don't have any purples that are less than 175lb. I would actually love to roll with someone that small and that much better than me. I might actually believe the Helio stories a little more.
    Theres a brown belt recently promoted from purple at the place I go to that is definitely under 175lbs, I think hes probably like 150 and he can tap other guys his rank that are 200lbs+.

Posted On:
    6/28/2011 4:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also OP was dealing with women.

Lightweight man does not equal lightweight woman. The lightweight man is always going to be better off than the lightweight women.
Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast