Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2011 5:55am

Style: Boxing and No Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    So, what's the difference between a sweep and a throw? And how do you know?
    I don't really know the physics behind it. Care to enlighten me? My statement is purely my own personal experience gained from randori. I thought I might just put it out there since I am a person which fits the definition of 'weakling'.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    7/03/2011 5:55am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    The top one is a throw because it lifts the persons weight off the ground, the bottom one does not therefor it is a sweep. Again this is just my opinion, as with anything ask 20 different people and you would get probably get 20 different answers. I usually define any move in which you have to support the persons wieght either with you hips as a throw, and any move that trips them without having to support said wieght as a sweep. The top pic clearly shows that even though he threw using a leg to sweep, he still had to support the wieght of his opponent. The bottom pic shows a sweep, that move only requires tripping the leg without supporting that persons wieght. And again just my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    The big problem with setting a classifacation of something like this is that it is all opinion based. Thats why I said that with 20 people you would get 20 different responses, my opinion of what a throw and a sweep is, is obiously different than jukas hence the scrubs response lol. And whereas you placed further classes trips etc. I put trips as sweeps, there are probably too many different opinions on this to ever have a set rule as to what is what.
    You're completely full of wrong. There's so much wrong you're crying tears of wrong. You won't get 20 answers from 20 people. With 2 pics and 2 options, there are precisely 4 answers that can be given. It's not that hard of a number to count to.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2011 6:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are people really suggesting that if you were born with a slight physique you will never get good at MA?

No they're right, if you are skinny there is no point trying to improve your body, because what you are born with is what you get.

It's fucking retarded. If you are skinny, like me, and you don't try to at least improve so that you get better odds at the very least , then you're stupid and someone needs to beat the **** out of you right now.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    7/03/2011 9:14am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PXM View Post
    Are people really suggesting that if you were born with a slight physique you will never get good at MA?

No they're right, if you are skinny there is no point trying to improve your body, because what you are born with is what you get.

It's fucking retarded. If you are skinny, like me, and you don't try to at least improve so that you get better odds at the very least , then you're stupid and someone needs to beat the **** out of you right now.
    No one said that. No one.

Is English a secondary language for you?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2011 9:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No one said that. No one.
    Read through the thread again. My bad.

Is English a secondary language for you?
    Tempted to say so, but no, just retarded.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2011 10:21am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My comfort weight is 72-75 kilos and I was able to hold a 120-140 kilos man at bay in bjj. Good quality grappling is the way to go if your facing a bigger but unskilled opponent. but then again.. this was without striking..

Posted On:
    7/03/2011 11:26am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes you guys are absolutely right. I recommend tying up with big guys asap whenever you get into it with them and going for positional dominance. Make that the priority.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2011 12:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs View Post
    Grappling is always the last resort after running away fails, but it's better than trying to teach a woman to outpunch a heavier opponent when she has only minimum training.
    I know what you are saying. It should definitely be a last resort, and it is better than doing nothing. My comparison might be a little unfair since I'm well aware of where my strength lies in a fight, and it most certainly isn't Ne-Waza so I compensate for it by doing my best to make sure that I'm not in a situation where I can't just pick the guy up and slam him.

Keeping a big guy in the proper position can be a headache as well. Then again I suck on the ground especially from the bottom so it may just be me. With that being said, I find that when I'm grappling, and I end up in a position where logically I should never be able to get out of I still manage to pull it off.

Most notably, a 300 lb body builder who had me in a rear naked choke, and I somehow managed to grab his arms and brute force my way out of it. I mean he had at least a good 70 lbs of muscle on me. I have a feeling it was an adrenaline rush though because after it was over my whole body was shaking for several minutes. The only reason I bring it up is to say that just because you have a submission locked in or you've broken someone's arm it doesn't mean the fight it over. Crazy stuff happens in fights.

Also, that bbj vs NFL player was horrible to watch. The NFL player had several opportunities to go for a slam which he didn't take. Then again my friends say I'm slam crazy so maybe it is just me that gets annoyed by stuff like this. I was screaming at my computer when I watched it. :)

Posted On:
    7/03/2011 1:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaeBo_Master View Post
    You're completely full of wrong. There's so much wrong you're crying tears of wrong. You won't get 20 answers from 20 people. With 2 pics and 2 options, there are precisely 4 answers that can be given. It's not that hard of a number to count to.
    Next time try reading my post, I said that from 20 different people you would get 20 different answers on what they consider a throw or a sweep, moron.
    And as far as having a generalized view there already is one, most people see a throw as someone being tossed over, whereas most people see a sweep as being swept off there feet or tripped. To place some concrete rule opon the definition of each to suit your egos is fucking retarted. Well thats not a sweep cause kano said so. Well guess what who fucking cares. I was not calling a spoon a fork either just because i dont care to nit-pick or micro-manage my catagories of throws and sweeps. Again you people are tunnel visioned. One thing that still escapes you fucking idiots is the fact that in my original post i said IN MY OPINION, which means I am not trying to make anyone change thier mind or come to my point of view. I was only stating my point of view just to answer a question that was asked, You are all the fucktards trying to make everyone suit your opinions.
    Last edited by Bneterasedmynam; 7/03/2011 1:17pm at . Reason: why not

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/03/2011 1:18pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PXM View Post
    It's fucking retarded.
    No, that is Bnets post history and claims of playing Devil's advocate when it is all about being serious.
Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 7891011 1213141521 ... LastLast