Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ - Posterior Compartment Syndrome

Hey guys,

I used to do a lot of running but about 18 months after suffering a lot of pain in my legs i was diagnosed with bi-lateral compartment. After a few months of conventional treatment and no improvement, my surgeon advised the only other option was to have a double fasciectomy, which I decided not to proceed with.

Instead, about 6 months ago i started training BJJ at Nexus Gym here in Melbourne, Australia. As i was no longer running, the pain in my legs eventually stopped, which was fantastic. However over the last 3 weeks, i have noticed extreme tightness and general pain in both calfs whilst training (it hurts to stand up from guard!), which than slowly dissipaits whilst not training, only to return in full as soon as i hit the mats.

I have only been training 2 - 3 times per week for an 1.5 hrs, so it is not excessive by any stretch of the imagine.

I was just wondering if anyone on here has suffered from posterior compartment syndrome whilst training BJJ (or any other grapple art) as opposed to general calf soreness / tightness?

Thanks,

RG

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey,

I have no experience with your condition, but partly to clarify things and partly to satisfy my curiosity:
    Is the pain in your calves in any way similar to the pain you experiences while running? Similar to cramping pains?
    Do you drink enough fluid?
    What have you tried (streching out, deep heat) to improve the pain?
    What kind of stretching regime do you follow post work out?
    Is the pain only in your calves, or does it radiate?

Also, I know this sounds obvious, but you never know with the webs: have you consulted your doctor? I would seriously suggest it if it continues.

Underlined for importance.
    Chaos? Panic?... Disorder??.........................​My work here is done.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Syberia,

The pain in my calfs whilst training is difficult to discribe as it more the feeling of intense pressure in whole calf, rather than a traditional sharp pain, cramping or general muscle soreness.

I drink plenty of water, not so much during training as it can make me feel a bit sick, but definitely enough water in general.

I have always had tight calf muscles so i stretch before and after training... and i have recently started applying Volatarin in order to try and reduce any inflammation that may be there.

Whilst i have not yet consulted a doctor about the calf soreness yet, i did consult a number of medical professionals regarding the bi lateral compartment syndrome. Having said that though, i have just made an appointment with my sports doc to get a referral so i can hav the compartment syndrome "pressure test" done again.

It's a really frustrating condition... because when you arent training (or being active in general), there is no real pain or discomfort BUT as soon as you start doing anything it quickly comes on.

I'll let you know how i go.

RG

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off
    Style
    Combat Cuddling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you do the triangle choke a lot? If so then you're probably too far underneath them when trying to apply it thus cramping the hell out of your calves. I had that same issue.

Anyway Welcome to Bullshido.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi DKR,

Unfortunately being relatively new to BJJ, i'd be lucky to pull off a triangle during a training session, so i dont think that's it.

I've been to see my sports doc and i'm booked into have the compartment syndrome test done on Wednesday...

Fingers crossed.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Ray Grey,

I also suffer from the same issues. I also run frequently until I had anterior compartment syndrome. I elected to have the fasciotomies done and have no problems with my anterior compartments. Similar to you, I started to notice my calves feeling tight and almost to the point of cramping when I started doing BJJ. This went on for over four months. I had my posterior compartments pressure tested yesterday and will probably go talk to the orthro doc about another fasciotomy to help relieve the pressure. I also tried conventional treatment but I saw no improvement. I hope your test produces a positive outcome.

Best of luck,

RB