Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2011 9:59am

Style: Holiday Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As it happens i was part way through an email to sovereign judo as your post came through. Good job i checked this before sending that.

Posted On:
    6/27/2011 10:29am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No worries.

Checked out the training videos on their site. Looks like a pretty standard Judo club nothing that made me go 'eurgh' and nothing that made me go 'wow' either. Although they do appear to have a permanently matted area, which is a plus, because then you don't have to put everything away at the end of the session.

When you've been training there for a bit take yourself down to Camberley and see how the full timers do things.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    6/27/2011 10:34am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cake of Doom View Post
    I think i spotted it. I'm travelling towards uke to play out the throw instead of off-balancing uke. I have no kuzushi which would be why its hard for me to achieve if i'm not in deep.

cheers!
    I see Judoka_UK has done his usual bang-up job.

Ben
    Last edited by BKR; 6/27/2011 10:37am at . Reason: Remove smartass post in good thread
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2011 10:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    .../...take yourself down to Camberley and see how the full timers do things.
    That will probably be like stepping into another world for a hobbyist like me. I'm in my 30,s now so i have ambitions of becoming super mega champion but it would be good to see the pros in action at any level.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2011 10:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    So JJJ coaches/sensei don't know how to teach koshi waza?

Ben
    Its more having the time to do it i think. We have no separate classes for beginner, intermediate or advanced so the class leans more towards the majority grade (which is usually brown/black belts) and on some occasions i've been one really lonely noob.

Posted On:
    6/27/2011 10:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That will probably be like stepping into another world for a hobbyist like me. I'm in my 30,s now so i have ambitions of becoming super mega champion but it would be good to see the pros in action at any level.
    Yeh sure. I have this little thing that I think all recreational players should go and experience what elite Judoka are capable of and to feel what its like to be thrown effortlessly regardless of size, weight, stiff arming etc...

Then they can go back to their home clubs with a true appreciation for what can be possible if you really work hard at this Judo thing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2011 10:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like a great motivation tool. Regardless of reasons for training its good to have a level to aspire to.

Posted On:
    6/27/2011 11:00am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its more having the time to do it i think. We have no separate classes for beginner, intermediate or advanced so the class leans more towards the majority grade (which is usually brown/black belts) and on some occasions i've been one really lonely noob.
    Sorry, I had removed my rather smartass post but you got to it.

To answer, no excuse for crappy teaching. Any competent instructor can show you the basics, even if you are the one lonely noob. In that situation you describe, you should not have a problem getting good instruction.

Ben

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2011 2:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After ukemi and a bit of time to practise we're pretty much thrown out into the wild and with compliant training it can get hard to see just how crappy my technique until i got partnered with a bloke that wasn't into giving it away (he cross trains bjj i believe) and he was a great help with what we were learning but its still stuff thats a bit out of my league and there just ain't enough time to start to 'nail it' before we rotate again and its back to being given the throw/take down.

Plus more time is spent on joint locks then throws/sweeps and the related mechanics.

Posted On:
    6/27/2011 2:12pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After ukemi and a bit of time to practise we're pretty much thrown out into the wild and with compliant training it can get hard to see just how crappy my technique until i got partnered with a bloke that wasn't into giving it away (he cross trains bjj i believe) and he was a great help with what we were learning but its still stuff thats a bit out of my league and there just ain't enough time to start to 'nail it' before we rotate again and its back to being given the throw/take down.

Plus more time is spent on joint locks then throws/sweeps and the related mechanics.
    Like I wrote, then.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast