Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Flyweight

Posted On:
    9/14/2011 9:20am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a lot of stupid in this thread.

Saying boxing only has 4 punches (jab, cross, hook, uppercut) is like saying jiu-jitsu only has 4 submissions (blood choke, air choke, arm sub, leg sub) or Muay Thai only has 4 attacks (punch, kick, elbow, knee).

Boxing is a good fighting style because it has a reasonable rule set and is pressure tested through hard sparring and competition. As you've heard others say, what makes a good fighter is 1 - the person, 2 - the training method and 3 - the art itself. Boxing has a great training method that focuses on conditioning and sparring, and due to this I think it draws more people of a fighting mindset than some other arts.

:)

Posted On:
    9/14/2011 1:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^ Truth. Conditioning and hard sparring. Lots of it.

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    9/14/2011 2:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm only surprised the op didn't list the 4 attacks as circle, square, triangle and 'x'.
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 6:17am

Style: Boxing and No Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by money View Post
    There is a lot of stupid in this thread.

Saying boxing only has 4 punches (jab, cross, hook, uppercut) is like saying jiu-jitsu only has 4 submissions (blood choke, air choke, arm sub, leg sub) or Muay Thai only has 4 attacks (punch, kick, elbow, knee).

Boxing is a good fighting style because it has a reasonable rule set and is pressure tested through hard sparring and competition. As you've heard others say, what makes a good fighter is 1 - the person, 2 - the training method and 3 - the art itself. Boxing has a great training method that focuses on conditioning and sparring, and due to this I think it draws more people of a fighting mindset than some other arts.

This boy speaks the truth *raises his hands up*. Boxing tends to weed out the weak and makes any person stronger both mentally and physically if they stick with it for an extended period of time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2011 10:20am

Style: G-B BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I learned a little about boxing as a kid, and would say that boxing is effective because it has no bells or whistles. the boxing answer to every attack is keep from getting hit, throw punches. if you get hit, throw punches. what? the guy is still fighting... throw punches. not a lot of figuring out "what the hell am I going to do????". Boxing due to its simplicity and easy programming into muscle memory stays with you a long time. Physical training and toughness is a big part of boxing, but I have seen guys who have not boxed in many years, out of shape and overweight knock the hell out of people, just due to the fact that their simple fighting skills are embedded into them.

Posted On:
    10/12/2011 10:46am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mierdadetoro View Post
    I learned a little about boxing as a kid, and would say that boxing is effective because it has no bells or whistles. the boxing answer to every attack is keep from getting hit, throw punches. if you get hit, throw punches. what? the guy is still fighting... throw punches. not a lot of figuring out "what the hell am I going to do????". Boxing due to its simplicity and easy programming into muscle memory stays with you a long time. Physical training and toughness is a big part of boxing, but I have seen guys who have not boxed in many years, out of shape and overweight knock the hell out of people, just due to the fact that their simple fighting skills are embedded into them.
    Before anyone jumps on the poster for using the adjective "simple" here, we might wish to recall that "simple" does not mean "easy". Also, we all know there can be considerable complexity in boxing--especially between accomplished practitioners--but that may be a matter of hours and hours of training oneself to combine the simple (but not easy) into the complex. This combination is something that may not be necessary if one is dealing with a less-than-accomplished assailant.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2011 1:27pm

Style: G-B BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks, that about sums up what I meant.

:)

Posted On:
    10/13/2011 5:18am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, probably no martial art/sport has come under such intense scrutiny and pressure testing, for such a prolonged period of time. Why? The money.

I also enjoy vids of ex-boxers laying the hurt. Like riding a bike..with your fists....nevermind.

Posted On:
    10/13/2011 4:40pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well said VN.

Old story. Student goes to Master and asks to learn *insert here* Fu. Master shows a Technique and says "Now go home and practise. It is simple".

Student goes home and practises...and practises...and practises.

The next week, the Master says "How did you get on?".

The Student is angry and lets out all of his frustration. "I practised day and night. I practised first thing in the morning and last thing at night. i practised every day BUT I could not get it right and you told me it was EASY!!!"

The Master replies: "No, I did not tell you it was Easy. I told you it was Simple".

Anyway...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2011 5:45am

Style: Hap Ki Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to think when starting to learn Tae Kwon Do, that it was simple and easy due to the small number of kicks they had. Same thing with Hap Ki Do, limited number of locks you could do. But when I started teaching others those styles. Somehow I forgot that I did work so hard to make those simple moves easy.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast