Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/27/2011 7:42am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Trivia: George Sotiropolous got his BB from John Will.
    Elvis Sinosic got his BB from John Will (both successful UFC fighters)
    The Tassie coach got his BB from John Will too. (Adam Newton)
    And now for the bad news. Unless it has changed from a few years back you can't rock into Dominance for example and do MMA. They require you to do the Beej and the muay thai first.

So the questoin really is are there any decent fighters MMA gyms in melbourne?

And there I think OP will struggle.

Which is why Queensland is better.

But for all the melbournians out there it really might be worthwhile compiling a list of MMA gyms in melbourne that are worth a pinch of piss.
    Last edited by gregaquaman; 6/27/2011 7:53am at .

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    6/27/2011 9:36am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Training in MMA =/= competing.

Posted On:
    6/27/2011 9:53am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Training in MMA =/= competing.
    But it is how the quality of a MMA school is measured. I would even say It is how a MMA fighter is measured

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    6/27/2011 9:59am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    But it is how the quality of a MMA school is measured. I would even say It is how a MMA fighter is measured
    Indeed, I'm just saying even if he can't find anywhere to compete at a novice level, he should still be able to find the training he needs to get to a level where he CAN compete. (even if it means going to SA for the fights)

Posted On:
    6/27/2011 10:37am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Indeed, I'm just saying even if he can't find anywhere to compete at a novice level, he should still be able to find the training he needs to get to a level where he CAN compete. (even if it means going to SA for the fights)
    The problem in melbourne espesially is that because there is not that much fighting going on there not that many serious MMA gyms around.

There are a few MMA gyms but they turn out to be a bit Mcdojoish. And in all honesty training at a MMA/zen do kai gym and then going to SA to fight a match would not be a career move.

I went down there earlier this year and trained a bit and really was taken back by the lack of pace in the training. But I possibly got a less professional gym. I think in Melbourne it can be a bit of a minefield that way.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    6/27/2011 10:40am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went down there earlier this year and trained a bit and really was taken back by the lack of pace in the training. But I possibly got a less professional gym. I think in Melbourne it can be a bit of a minefield that way.
    omg.. you were looking for MMA and you found Bob Jones Corporation?
    How many times have I already mentioned a pro gym? zzzzzz (John Will anyone???)

I understand the point of no demand leaving a hole in the MA landscape there. What can I say? sucks to be them.

Posted On:
    6/27/2011 10:51am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    omg.. you were looking for MMA and you found Bob Jones Corporation?
    How many times have I already mentioned a pro gym? zzzzzz (John Will anyone???)

I understand the point of no demand leaving a hole in the MA landscape there. What can I say? sucks to be them.
    I wont mention the gym they were nice guys and doing their best. Some were even gearing up to fight. but they were also sapping out on the warmup sprints and sparring at 20% with MMA gloves.
    I imagine something like this

John donahue is a John will school and they would not let people do the MMA untill they had done the other styles which I thought was a pity. I don't kow if they still do that or if other John wills schools are now more MMA focused.

Up here You can walk into a school and say I want to fight MMA and you will be catered for.
    This is why we need some melbourne Bullies to sepparate the wheat from the chaff so to speak.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/27/2011 12:02pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PXM View Post
    Being good at martial arts and being good at the internet are contradictory no?
    LOL @all the guys in Australia. You have to have this fag as a rep.

Posted On:
    6/27/2011 9:49pm

Style: BJJ/Zumba

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Argh, fail. I thought we had some Hangar 4 guys on here?

Anyway, there's heaps in Melbourne, as above. You can usually do BJJ/MT in the same facility (usually the styles team up, cheaper rent etc). Then they offshoot into MMA, and proper MMA training, most of the time. Aim for a good BJJ school, then ask around, for specifics.

If you just want to train for a hobby, rather than a fight, make sure the distinction is set in your head and that of the school, don't say "I want to fight" then train casual. And don't say "I don't want to fight" and then train like you are going to fight with every partner you have to team up with.

These boards are rough, like drunken friend rough (with a splash of homoeroticism). You get used to the pain and stinging, as well as the hairy hugs. Well...mostly the hairy hugs.
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    6/27/2011 10:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    John donahue is a John will school and they would not let people do the MMA untill they had done the other styles which I thought was a pity. I don't kow if they still do that or if other John wills schools are now more MMA focused.
    My school is a John Will school.
    You don't HAVE to compete in BJJ tourneys before you can compete in MMA, but basically everyone does. Also, you generally need to be invited to train in the MMA class. It keeps spazzes out of the class, and injuries to a minimum.
    Furthermore, you don't have to have had Muay Thai Fights either.

Yet, you must have demonstrated proficiency in both MT and BJJ in the first place. If you rock up one day, and are determined to train in MMA, (and have a history in martial arts) you will be assessed for suitability for inclusion. They don't just let any clown on the mat when you have such a limited ruleset.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast